Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | W1GFH Ships Radio Room Clocks Help

Reviews Summary for W1GFH Ships Radio Room Clocks
W1GFH Ships Radio Room Clocks Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $15.95
Description: This is a repro of a 1939 Ships Radio Room Clock face
patterned after the original mechanical clock made by
Chelsea Clock Co. featuring two "radio silence" periods per
hou
More info: http://www.cafepress.com/amradio

You can write your own review of the W1GFH Ships Radio Room Clocks.

WA2DTW Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2011 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Keeps good time. Have never had a problem.

AI8O Rating: 2/5 Sep 4, 2011 08:20 Send this review to a friend
QC problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a follow-up to my review of June 7,2011.

POOR QC in the making of the minute and hour hands was the cause of my clock losing so much time.

After writng my previous review; I left the clock on the wall in my shack because it looks cool. Last week as I happened to be looking in its general direction, I saw the minute hand jerk suddenly.

I took the clock down, removed the clear front cover, and by twirling the hands using the setting dial on the back, I found that the minute hand was catching on the hour hand as it passed over the hour hand, causing a short, but significant delay each time the minute hand passed over the hour hand. I looked at the clock hands, found that they were cut from very thin plastic and were warped. I could not remove the hands, so I bent them as close to flat as I could while leaving them on the clock.

Now that the hands are not sticking, the clock is running much better.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2007 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Best Bang for the Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought 3 of these, about 18 months ago. Gave one to a friend, who loves it. Have one in the shack at home, and one in my "cube" at work. The one at works makes a great conversation starter! Put one in your office or cube at work, and the conversations will start. Keeps as good a time as my IRONMAN wristwatch.

You might want to print out a RADIO ROOM "fact sheet" to explain it to the folks from Reolinda.

WW3QB Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2007 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's a cheap clock at a cheap price. It uses the same AA battery powered mechanism found in millions of clocks. It is keeping excellent time. I set it using WWV (a true ham nerd). I gave it a 5 because it is keeping time and it is a unique and good looking clock.

K3ASA Rating: 0/5 Feb 11, 2006 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Stinks!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these (I "guess" it's the same clock..) through cafepress. It was terrible, lost 5 min. per day continously. I complained and they sent me another one, no questions asked. That's Great... However...... The second one did the same thing. I think the min. hand was hitting the plastic cover, so I took the plastic cover/lens off and it worked better for a day or so, then started losing 5 min. per day. I tried new battery, with no luck.. so - I trashed both... did not ask for another.. Will chalk it up to experience.... I certainly did not expect an expert, quality timepiece, but TWO duds... No More for me.. 73, de K3ASA (Gene)

W8ZNX Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2006 10:47 Send this review to a friend
great deal  Time owned: more than 12 months
yes it is just made of plastic,
not metal and glass,
and it is not a real wind up clock,
but man for 15.99,
6 ft away it looks like the real deal,
keeps good time also
best 15.99 ive spent in a long time
mac w8znx

AB2EZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2005 04:24 Send this review to a friend
A nice clock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these... and it is a very nice, colorful addition to the shack. It is also a good conversation piece (make sure you remember what the color bands are for, because visitors to your shack will surely ask). For the price, you can't go wrong.

Two things to remember: Because of the colorful and somewhat "busy" face... you may not be able to read it at a distance. So don't think of it as your main clock for telling time-at-a-glance in the shack.

If you are a stickler for perfection... Chelsea is misspelled as Cheslea on my clock (but who is really going to notice?) This misspelling might have been intentional to avoid copyright and trademark infringement problems.

NRDT Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2004 18:07 Send this review to a friend
ALMOST perfect  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This clock brings back many memories for this old Coast Guard Radioman. CG radio shacks always had one that looked just like it -- except for the plastic case. It makes a nostalgic addition to my home radio shack and keeps great time. The only thing I would change if I could would be to have an option for a brass and glass case -- then it would be perfect. As it is now it's a great deal. 73 to all. BT

KG4VPV Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2003 02:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice bit of nostalgia to a shack full of modern equipment.  Time owned: months
Looking to stray away from the modern look in my shack, I got this clock to give it a nostalgic feel. Needless to say, it gives the room a nice feel and sometimes makes me long for voyages of the maritime variety. I love it.

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2003 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This clock brings back many memories as a Navy RADIOMAN. Back in the late 60's operating in the Atlantic I have many memories of listening to 500 KCS which is what the quiet time is for. The freq 500 KCS CW was the freq for maritime ships would use in an emergency. When I bought my clock and someone comes into my shack and asks about it I get to tell them SEA stories and if you've ever been in the NAVY you will know exactly what a SEA story is. HAI HAI... One of these clocks needs to be in your shack. We don't have to monitor 500 KCS anymore the maritime Navy uses computers now. As a Navy RADIOMAN we had to keep paper logs and monitor 500 KCS CW. The Navy has come along ways now and there aren't Navy RADIOMEN anymore, they are called IT's. So I and all the other former RADIOMEN are a dying breed. GO NAVY.....