Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Whiterook MK-44 Help

Reviews Summary for Whiterook MK-44
Whiterook MK-44 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $16.95
Description: Pocket Mini-Paddle. Low cost & highly portable.
More info: http://ElectronicsUSA.com/mk.html

You can write your own review of the Whiterook MK-44.

KC1CGR Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2014 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Small, light weight and easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This key is excellent for at home or in the field. It is a very simple and very easy to use design and is responsive and quick to use. The key distance can easily be adjusted using non-conductive washers, if desired, but I found that the from factory configuration was just fine and more than responsive to 15wpm sending. A standard 3-pole 3.5mm jack allows for easy hookup to any keyer.

WA7DUY Rating: 2/5 May 11, 2013 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Needs improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently acquired this MK44. It is extremely light weight but I find it impossible to adjust. You turn the plastic square taht the 2 levers are bolted to. So far I have been unable to adjust it so that one side is not shorted. If I should manage to get it adjusted it would be easy to knock it out of adjustment. The feel is also very soft and mushy.

While it is cheap and light weight I find the lack of adjustment to be extremely frustrating.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2013 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Durable and it works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little paddle is great for portable or fixed ops. I use poster putty to hold it secure. There are no adjustment but this little guy is perfectly usable the way it is. Why spend the money on a Palm Paddle when this paddle gets the job done for less than a third of the price.

W8ZNX Rating: 3/5 Jun 22, 2007 14:49 Send this review to a friend

no more no less

Mac dit dit

K0HPS Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2006 03:37 Send this review to a friend
Great backpacking paddles  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best backpacking paddles I have yet to try; very light weight, reasonably rugged, easy to use and a very fair price. I use the leg strap when I'm sitting up and hold it with one hand while sending with the other when I'm in my sleeping bag. If you look me up on QRZ there's a picture of me using my MK-44 at 10,000 ft.

KU4QW Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2004 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the 3rd key I bought from whiterook, I use them all 3...But this one I use a lot. It's really light so you have to mount it some how, I took someone's idea and took the bottom off and cliped it in a small clip board, works great that way. This is such a great match for small qrp rigs with a keyer built into them, like the Norcal 40, or Sierra

VE3JXF Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2003 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hi - Its not brass & chrome & I'm brand new to HAM & thought a paddle might be the best way to learn CW - So, bought this one - Cheap - nice. Easy to use, forgiving & before I got it I've never heard CW except in movies & I've mastered 12 wpm in 2 weeks. Ok the paddle is sloppy from the .003" spacing guys I've read about, but it seems to me at 12+ wpm that its timing and rhythm that is the important ingredient.. Its light, its red, its tiny - I use one of the YL's hair elastics to hold it to a DVD case to be in harmony with the design philosopy - works for me!

John

EA1BP Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2002 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Its so tiny...but Its great!!!! I LOVE IT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first impression when I got my MK-44 was...Wow! Because it was very very small. The stamp of the parcel was bigger than the paddle!! Hi I really like it!!
I didnt expect to find a Bencher, Vibroplex,...or any kind of those paddles...I look for a portable and easy to use paddle and thats what I find with this.
Its perfect to put in the box of my FT-817 and ready to go anywhere, anytime...I have my portable transceiver, portable antenna, and I think this is the best portable paddle you can find (Light, small and easy to use). What do you want for 16.50 $ ???? (Be honest)
This is the best meaning of simplicity and economy !!
Good product, better results!

73 from EA1BP/QRP
Miguel
Spain

KC8LTL Rating: 3/5 Sep 9, 2002 18:54 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay for  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am glad that I bought the MK-44, but have found that it leaves much to be desired as far as paddles go. On the plus side, it is cheap and basically works. There are quite a few minuses however.

1) It is very hard to adjust and comes out of adjustment somewhat easily. Take a look at the picture... The clear plastic block can turn just slightly, causing it to send continously on one side. Even if it isn't this bad, there are times where it somehow manages to add elements, just from rebound off the OTHER side. Since this is a PORTABLE paddle, it easy to just throw it in the pack, where something else can hit it and knock it out of wack.

2) The feel is very soft and mushy. The levers are simply thin pieces of plastic which you bend to touch the center - there is definitely nothing solid about the feel.

These two things definitely help me to have errors in my sending, and I need no help with that. However, I will use my MK-44 for every Spartan Sprint, since they are so light and will probably keep them in my car so that I can use them with my FT-100 when parked...

K3NG Rating: 3/5 May 19, 2002 00:39 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
These are inexpensive minimalist paddles. They work, but I find myself making alot of mistakes. These paddles don't in any way "blow the chrome" off other paddles. They're simple paddles that you can throw in your backpack and have short QSOs with at moderate speeds while in the field.

I was able to improve the feel and accuracy by changing the round center standoff contact thingy with a hexagon standoff which provides a flat contact surface.

You can't beat the price, but realize it's basically a little red box with some plastic parts cleverly put together. It works, but you'll be eventually longing for a more expensive portable paddle. The MK-44 will always be in my backpack, but as a secondary backup key.