Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Whiterook MK-44 Help

Reviews Summary for Whiterook MK-44
Whiterook MK-44 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $16.95
Description: Pocket Mini-Paddle. Low cost & highly portable.
More info: http://ElectronicsUSA.com/mk.html

You can write your own review of the Whiterook MK-44.

N2XE Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2002 16:18 Send this review to a friend
An All American Classic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This paddle will soon become a ham icon. Great example of American engineering. I use these puppies for backpacking, mobiling and just plain fun at home!

KM0U Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2001 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Quality product - high value for the cost.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a ham since '78 - the MK-44 is the best new purchase bargain I've made - lightweight, quality construction, low cost (under $20), works well - it is truly portable it fits the niche of replacing keys that weigh as much as the rig. . . 73's km0u

KC4TXR Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2001 09:35 Send this review to a friend
A Mobile Must Have!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've already posted my opinion of this paddle as a fixed station piece of equipment but after several months of mobile duty, I feel the need for an update.

They provide good, clean, positive contact. The tactile feedback is uncompromised by the flexibility of the paddle arms, and it's impossible to get a backlash causing extra dits and dahs over bumpy roads. I have no plans to modify them in the least. Their light weight means they're perfect for mobile operation especially with the optional leg strap. In fairness, any portable paddle has deficiencies but not this one.

Just so you're not suprised, this key is essentially non-adjustable and made from plastic. It performs the job it was designed to do with great aplumb and acumen. If you simply gaze at the photo of the key, you can see exactly what it is and what it is not. It would be really kind of silly to buy a non-adjustable plastic key and then complain that it's not chrome plated brass and adjustable... duh. It is remarkably suited for QRP and mobile operation. I mean, what kind of fool would pack a Bencher paddle anywhere in the outback?

Priced at $16.95, I feel like I'm stealing from Whiterook. The design and engineering of this key is simply astounding. If you bought two of them, you would feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

KD1JT Rating: 3/5 Apr 21, 2001 22:03 Send this review to a friend
Adequate but not much more  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my paddles a little while ago, and have used them portable several times. I'm a CW only operator, but have never owned a "luxury" paddle, just the usual assortment ... Bencher BY, Vibroplex Iambic and Brass Racer, etc.

The Whiterook is well constructed and the design is beautiful in its simplicity. Very lightweight.

In operation, though, they fall short of what I expect from a paddle ...

They do not provide good, clean, positive contact. The tactile feedback is compromised by the flexibility of the paddle arms, and it's much too easy to get a backlash causing extra dits and dahs. I plan to modify them slightly by putting a spring between the arms, but I'm not really confident that'll make much of a difference. Their light weight means I have to hold the entire paddle in one hand while sending with the other. In fairness, any portble paddle has this deficiency, though. I'll probably just carry some of that sticky "gum" stuff with me to plant the base on the table.

In no way do I regret the purchase ... I got my money's worth, to be sure, since the price is astoundingly low. But whenever possible, I'll sacrifice the weight and lug along my trusty Brass Racer.

N2PVS Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2001 16:42 Send this review to a friend
amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my mk-44 a few weeks ago and i love it. It functions flawlessly, its well constructed, its nice looking and , well, the price is unbelieveable.

KM5N Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2001 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an excellent, low-cost choice for a mobile paddle. I use it daily, strapped to my right thigh with a velcro strap.

The feel is pretty loose, and if this were a stationary paddle you would probably want something a lot tighter. But on the road, the looseness prevents a lot of keying errors, and is very forgiving when you are (properly!) concentrating on the road instead of the paddle.

For the price, it is a very good deal. I have not found anything else I would use mobile.

WP3GN Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2001 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Big Bang 4D Buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you ask me, get two. For the price it can't be beat.

AA1UY Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2000 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Work very well for what they are  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple little paddles that work remarkably well for what they are. Very light in weight so they require two hands to operate unless strapped or stuck down but that's no big deal. There's no "clickety" paddle mechanism (ie springs or magnets), the paddle return is achieved purely by the elasticity of the "plastic" material each paddle is made from. I had concerns that the "plastic" paddles might warp (or lose elasticity) over time, but that hasn't happened in the year or more that I've owned them. They work as well today as they did when new.

Although I like them, I can't agree that they're a *fantastic* bargain though. Yes $16.95 is very cheap for a set of paddles but it's only a small plastic box with a few screws and bits of plastic stuck on. The guy who dreamed up this use for a truck-load of surplus plastic boxes is obviously a real entrepreneur though Hi Hi

AD4J Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2000 01:34 Send this review to a friend
Superb Value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unbeatable for the price ($15). Attractive, works well and surprising comfortable for such small paddles. Great for travelling or backpacking. I also purchased the Velcro leg strap. It fits the MK-44 well and is well-worth the $7.50 price. You need something to hold down a paddle set this light.

KD7GLV Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2000 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Paddles!!!  Time owned: unknown months
These little paddles are a great product! Delivery was fast. These paddles are well made and small! Jack at Whiterook is great. At $15.00 you can't beat the price. These are my first set of paddles and within two QSOs of getting them, I was used to them and making very few mistakes. I would reccomend these paddles to any one who is look for some small QRP portable or mobile paddles. They are great at the home station also.