Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Drake MN75 Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Drake MN75 Antenna Tuner
Drake MN75 Antenna Tuner Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 200W 160-10m Antenna Tuner

You can write your own review of the Drake MN75 Antenna Tuner.

WA2JJH Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2004 01:49 Send this review to a friend
the best 300w tuner ever made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tuner is perfection. It is built like a tank.
Mine came with the very desirable balun.
Ultra large and 5% accurate(against a bird 43).

The tuning is very unique.DO NOT LET THE DRAKE SPEC ABOUT ONLY BEING ABLE TO HANDLE 5:1 swr.

I have tuned it with close to 200W. I was able to bring 10;1 SWR's down to a nice 1:1.5.

I would say this tuner is easier to match.
It has a 9 position inductor tap, and has large caps that are delight to tune.

Easy on the hands. You simply set the indutor stop to about where your operating. The inductor is marked in freq. ranges.

This gives you less guess work. Set to your band
and adjust the ultra smooth caps for less than 1:1.5 SWR.

There are additional caps to kick in, but I never use them.

I was able to tune my el cheapo CB vertical right down to 80M! I also noticed more 3db bandwidth than my mfJ tuner.

This tuner is a great addition to my shack.
It is nice to have a SWR/power meter that is larger than a bird-43.

4 WAY Coax switch is solid.

Yes I did run 600W in, when the SWR was decent on lower power.

Try that today with you so called 300W tuners!

THE MN-7 IS A DIFFERENT ANIMAL THAN THE MN-75.

The inductor preset and large tuning cap knobs allow band QSY and tune up in seconds.

You feel like you will not get carple tunnel syndrome from the delight inductor preset and smooth as silk tuning caps.

I cannot recommend this tuner for random length long wires. Use a small counter poise that is resonant for 10m. Then make the random wire length
18 feet. You will get 10-80M coverage.

The tuner box is triple the volume of most 300W tuners. A look inside expalins the great performance.

If you see on for 200 bux, you will not go wrong.

KD8WK Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2002 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent barefoot++ tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this tuner for more than a decade and use it regularly. The tuner is styled to match the Drake TR7 series. It covers all frequencies between 1.8 and 30 Mhz and is rated at 200W continuous duty. The meter can alternately read VSWR (manually) or power-out (to 300W). Has bandswitch for two coax connections, longwires, and open-wire feeds (the latter requires an accessory balun).

Positives: Built very conservatively and designed to take abuse: After tuning up barefoot, I've run 400-500W PEP SSB through it with nary a complaint The unit has never arced and tunes just about anything. The large meter is superb.

Negatives: Rather than providing a separate bypass switch, the function is implemented as one of the positions on the bandswitch, which I find less convenient. To increase the tuning range, additional capacitance may be switched in manually, and this can be cumbersome when tuneup occurs around the point where manual switching is necessary.

Bottom line: A great little tuner. I own another 3KW tuner, but I like the MN75 so much I hate to take it out of service.