Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-S41 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-S41
Alinco DJ-S41 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 425.000 ~ 449.995MHz Sub-Miniture Hand-Held UHF Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-S41.

NF7T Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new at a ham fest about 15 years ago. This is one of the finest little radios I have ever owned. I use it mostly as a mobile microphone so I don't have to be tied to a larger mobile radio in my radio room. I just put the bigger mobile in X-band repeat and use this radio as a mobile microphone. If you put this little radio in low power TX the batteries last around 10-14 days of daily use. Rag chewing sometimes hours at a time. I have been doing that for the full 15 years I have owned it. I also use it for events where I have to TX back to my mobile to get out. If you get a chance to get one, buy it quick. Another really cool thing about these radios is the flexible fold away into the side of the radio antenna. Never has broke and still using the original antenna. The 2-meter ones have a telescoping antenna that gets broke quick. I wish they still made these. One of the best designed quality HT's ever made. I paid $89 new for mine. The key to long battery life is using low power TX. Or use rechargeable batteries. Since most of the time I'm using it to X-band, the base antenna does all of the work and I don't need high power. I've used it out hunting and fishing talking back to the mobile and it still does fine on low power. I seldom get more than 400 or 500 yards from the mobile. 300 yards is the length of a football field so I'm usually within two football fields. But I have stood on top of a mountain and worked a repeater line of sight about 25 miles away with no problem. Remember I said on top of a mountain and I could see the mountain that the repeater was on. No obstructions. It won't perform miracles but it does a great job within reason.

KF7FOW Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2011 12:33 Send this review to a friend
great package - needs more power  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I bought one of these little wonders at a hamfest for $25 and it has been well worth the investment. I LOVE the size and the capabilities of the package. The only serious problem I have had to overcome is that the AA batteries are VERY limited in their lifespan. In fact, after only a few days of mostly receiving and calling short ID's to the local repeater, I found that the three AA batts wouldn't hold a transmit power level for more than a couple of seconds. Just long enough to key up the repeater and give my ID, but not nearly long enough to hold a QSO.

So I fixed the problem by building a 5v DC regulator so I could run the DJ-S41 from a wall wart. Now I can carry on long QSO's without any fading problems. Also, by attaching a standard DC plug to a 12v gel-cell battery, I can carry the radio, regulator, and battery to a hilltop and operate all day without having to switch batteries all the time. This solution works so well that I can only consider operating the unit on AA batteries as an emergency measure. Mouser sells regulated 5v DC wall supplies for less than $8 and I highly recommend this route if you intend to use this rig for regular home use.

Minor complaints are that I can't attach an external antenna, and that the PTT button is very stiff and makes my thumb sore after awhile.

If you see one at a hamfest, buy it. Better yet, buy a couple and loan one out to your ham friends. Great rig!

WS5J Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2007 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Fantastac LiL Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this little radio. I am 20+ miles from Fort Worth and I can hit two repeaters in town on high power. On low power I talk on the Johnson County, Texas repeater about 5 miles away with no problems. The batteries go for about 4 days of regular use and because I use rechargeable AAA,, cost is not an issue. I would recommend this radio to anyone who wants an easy to carry and dependable vest pocket rig. KE5QAR

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2007 15:00 Send this review to a friend
I love mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
used mine a BUNCH for x-band work to a mobile in the truck. It's over 5 years old now. has never let me down.

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2006 07:39 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT for local work!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DJ-S41 is a phenomenal little handheld for accessing local 440 repeaters. I live near Cleveland, and am able to actually hit about 6 or so repeaters from inside my house. Audio reports were fine too. It's amazing what 340mW of output power can do on UHF. Of course, if you live in a rural area a good distance away from 440 'machines', this rig will not cut it.

KC4GMY Rating: 1/5 Mar 20, 2006 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Poor Antenna Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Poor antenna performance makes this radio of not much use.

KB3BWF Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2005 04:49 Send this review to a friend
pocket perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
For size and the money you can't beat it. I bought the radio years ago for about a $100 at R/S. I used it in the Philly area and it did well.(even on 50mw) I am now in the NYC Metro area and have every memory filled up. I can hit just about all the repeaters in the city and fold it up and put it away. Its fantastic here in NYC. What else can I say.

GM4DHJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2004 07:41 Send this review to a friend
superb!!!  Time owned: months
love it superb batt. life sooper.....

N8EKT Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2004 00:16 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC VALUE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
GREAT LITTLE RADIO AT A GREAT PRICE!
3 AA ALKALINE BATTERIES LAST FOR DAYS OF OPERATION.
EXCELLENT AUDIO AND RECEIVE SENSITIVITY.
HAVE THREE OF THEM
IF THE BIG ONE DROPS, I'M TAKIN A HAND FUL OF BATTERIES AND MY S41 TO THE BUNKER.

W0IW Rating: 0/5 Jul 3, 2004 11:44 Send this review to a friend
great if audio dosent matter  Time owned: months
the audio sounds like your in a buckey buried in sand and underwater other than that its a great lil rig ;-P

KJL