Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Steppir SmallIR Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Steppir SmallIR Vertical
Steppir SmallIR Vertical Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $439.00
Description: 20m-6m 1/4 wave end fed vertical - no traps, coils or capacitors; 18 feet total length, radials required. 13.8 MHz to 54.000 MHz continuous coverage!
More info: http://www.steppir.com

You can write your own review of the Steppir SmallIR Vertical.

G3KEC Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2011 03:09 Send this review to a friend
superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Small Garden. mounted it elevated at 7 foot on scaffold pole. 5 radials each side along fence. results beyond expectations. swr at 1:1 .can be serviced by one person. had other vertical that had lots of rods etc attached, impossible to service without help, this is dead easy.No hesitation in recommending.
first qso was VP5

K5YLT Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2007 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Just Perfect  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Living in a heavily antenna restricted development, I needed an antenna that I could camouflage but that still had a chance of working better than a slinky. The Smallir was a perfect choice.

Installed in my postage stamp backyard with 40 14' radials, this vertical is the answer to my prayers. First I added a plastic Christmas ornament sprayed silver to the top and then a small pulley with some synthetic rope and voila, instant flag pole. I used a fake rock to cover the motor controller and the landscape police never even blinked. Email me if you would like to see some pictures.

To date at the lowest of the low sunspots, I have worked an amazing amount of DX especially being in Texas the middle of DX no mans land. Every thing from Japan to Crete and most everything in between. I would recommend this antenna in a heart beat.

KE7EAP Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2006 18:43 Send this review to a friend
It follows me like a puppy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My CC&R's don't allow amateur antennas in the front yard, on the roof, or attached to the house. The SteppIR "small" vertical was installed in the back yard. It's at ground level using eight 16 foot radials, equally spaced except for a 70 degree gap. Three of them stairstep down a terraced garden. I used a post level to set the stub post and the antenna sits perfectly vertical near a stand of bamboo. Few have even noticed it. The available Icom interface is used with the factory settings for general mode.

My location is Renton WA. After installation I soon had solid 100w ssb qso's with Japan on both 20 and 15. I'm a new ham with a background in tv channel surfing, and the SteppIR suits my style perfectly. It tracks my every move on 20, 17, 15, and 10. My transceiver doesn't operate on 6 so I haven't been there.

I have no other antennas to compare it with, but I am completely satisfied.

VE3BTI Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2005 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent - must have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using this in a limited space yard, approx 45ft x 35ft ( W x D ) backyard. Ground mounted approx 5ft from a 10x10 raised wooden deck and 15 ft from a brick/siding raised ranch house.

The antenna was easy to setup with just one person. Making sure it was level, and installing the ground radials was the hardest part.

* minor adjustment to the length of the antenna (via Controller Setup Menu) in order to get sub 1.5 SWR. Repeated for all bands
** got to love the ability to fine tune the length of the antenna for each freq. without resorting to cutters!.

* medium winds of 60-65 kph did cause a bit of swing in the vertical, but nothing else. Unit is not guyed at this time.

* the ability to retract the element during bad weather ( lightning storms ) is a bonus. Have to protect the investment! *grin*

* did not purchase the interface fom the radio to the controller (allows for automatic band tuning) since I am using a TenTec 516. Manual tuning is not a problem, bandwidth is wider than I would have thought.

Have been able to work stations on both coasts and of course the southern states on just 15 watts.

The call to Fluidmotion for the purchase of the antenna was handled very well by the staff. They indicated there was a backlog and was able to give an eta (antenna was delivered before the eta) and they also helped with the needed customs / shipping to my QTH (Canada).

Would not hesitate recommending the company or product to anyone.