Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Whiterook MK-33 Help

Reviews Summary for Whiterook MK-33
Whiterook MK-33 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $16.95
Description: Single Lever Pocket Mini-Paddle. Low cost, very portable.
More info: http://ElectronicsUSA.com/mk.html

You can write your own review of the Whiterook MK-33.

WB4TJH Rating: 4/5 May 18, 2016 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Good for QRP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my MK-33 for several years and it works OK for lightweight portable use. I made it even better by filling the bottom of the key with lead fishing weights and then epoxying them in place. I still hold the key still with my left hand while using, but with the added weight, it has better stability. The extra weight is only an ounce and a half or so, but it does help. The MK-33 is inexpensive, but it does the job and I prefer a single lever key.

K7NHB Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2013 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Does well what it is intended to do  Time owned: more than 12 months
Do I compare this to my Vibrokeyer or Kent? No. Do I take those two in the field on a QRP adventure? NO! I take the MK-33.

I've found that if I rob Peter's Go Bag to add to Paul's, something is usually left behind. At the MK-33 price, I can have one for each of my QRP rigs.

At QRP levels, I'm guessing your sending speed is not as fast as at home. So what some see as wide spacing is not so much an issue.

Sure, there could be adjustments - but that would add to cost/weight/complexity. And what can be adjusted can become unadjusted.

If there was a quality control problem, like one FINE manufacturer we all know, or if it was marketed as a Begali replacement - it would deserve less points.

But as some have already reviewed. It does the job it was intended to do and Jack is friendly and easy to work with.

This key is perfect for the job it was intended to do.

N0XAS Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2008 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for what it is.  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's not a heavy weight key I'd use all the time -- but for portable operating, it's pretty good for what it is. Just figure on using two hands; one for sending, one for holding.

I actually have an MK-65, which is an MK-33 with a built-in keyer. It was originally a TiCK keyer, but of course I replaced that with one of my own. I do use it from time to time. I didn't find the spacing to be too wide, but it's not tough to make some minor modifications to adjust it. A guy could add a thin washer to each side of the center contact setup, or elongate the holes for the side posts a little. I didn't find it necessary to do either, but then I usually don't send over 15 WPM or so.

JDWYER Rating: 2/5 Mar 12, 2008 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Poor components  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this keyer in my junk box. I use it infrequently but always noticed occasional intermittent dahs when using it which I could never figure out. One day I took it apart looked it over and noticed a loose connector inside the 1/8" jack on the back of the keyer. I jury rigged a line straight into the keyer bypassing this jack and soldered the leads directly to the lugs and the keyer works acceptably now. Poor components, plastic case.

W2LJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2004 18:30 Send this review to a friend
It's not a Begali; but ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yep, that's right, it's not a Begali; but then it was never meant to be !! This is a cool, little, lightweight, portable single lever paddle meant to be used for portable ops. If you choose to use this in your shack everyday, you are going to be disappointed. BUT if you take a small rig out for portable or QRP ops; then you will NOT be disappointed. This is a very inexpensive lil' paddle that's perfect for its' intended use. And if you break it by banging it into something or by dropping it - God knows, you won't have a heart attack over it.

AB7JK Rating: 1/5 Mar 24, 2003 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Whoa!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been trying to use this thing (off the air of course). The space between the paddle and the contacts is wide enough to drive a hummer through. There is no way to adjust the spacing short of taking it apart (breaking it in other words) and trying to glue it back together. It's impossible to send faster than about six words a minute without making errors. I've waisted twenty dollars on junk before but I thought those days were behind me.

N2PVS Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2001 21:37 Send this review to a friend
a winner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
as i have a mk-44 and really enjoy using it, i thought i'd purchase its single paddle sister, the mk-33. its another winner. looks great, works flawlessly, is well made and anyone can afford it at $16.95. in addition, jack, at whiterook, is knowledgeable, helpful, and pleasant.

K7ESU Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2001 23:18 Send this review to a friend
It works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There isn't much more to say other than it works fine. For backpacking or travelling it would be just what you need. It is light, requiring 2 handed operation to keep it in place, though.

I'm surprised at how well I can send with it.

Simple, yes! But it works... and the color is real cute.