Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Ranger RCI-5054dx Help

Reviews Summary for Ranger RCI-5054dx
Ranger RCI-5054dx Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $299
Description: 6 meter multimode mobile transceiver
More info: http://www.rangerusa.com

You can write your own review of the Ranger RCI-5054dx.

VA3GRP Rating: 0/5 Jul 9, 2013 10:07 Send this review to a friend
It's needs repair before I can use it...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a used RCI5450DX-100 over eBay, which was suppose to be operating correctly at the time of sale. Once it arrived, found the modulation was distorting on both AM, and SSB, and draining too much power away from my 30 amp power supply. Anyways, to make a long story short, I haggled and ended up getting this radio off the seller for $50 as defective used parts. I found out later, that there are no authorized Ranger repair shops outside the USA for this 6m. model, and there's no full service manual available to my best knowledge, to make the repairs myself (or yourself) if your located in countries outside the USA. I have a schematic diagram, but I also need to know more vital info before I can make the necessary repairs correctly, and order the right listed factory parts number, for that needed repair, otherwise, I'll have to send this radio back to the USA for repairs at a postage cost of around $80 one way, or $160 both ways, plus the added cost of the repair made in the USA. It STINKS!!! plain and simple. The Ranger Corp. is hoarding the necessary repair info away from International buyers for this Ranger 6m. model of transmitter. International hams, outside the USA., should avoid buying them, or you'll end up either throwing away a good repairable radio, or paying through the nose to get it repaired in the USA. It's not the radios fault here, it's the Ranger Company's fault, for not setting up authorized repair shops available for this model located around the world, or at least supplying a full service manual so these radios can be repaired abroad outside the USA. I hope this text will steer international buyers away from buying the RCI-5450DX-100 model, or the RCI-5450 (smaller model)6 meter radio. Ranger needs to smarten up and get authorized repair shops available around the world, or at least make the full service manual available to everyone that needs them for this model. If one is going to sell any ham product on the market then there should be a service manual readily available, "free for the asking", for that product. It should be an international law.
They say this radio is similarly built as the RCI-2970..100 watt, 10 m radio, I'll soon find out, once I open this radio up for inspection, and see where I can hook up my testing equipment to find the distortion flaw in this radio. This is the reason why I have posted a "0" for this model radio. My radio is quite repairable, but I shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for both postage, and to get it working right again at a US. repair shop. International buyers beware, that if you don't have a repair shop that fixes this model of radio in your own country, stay away from this radio, or you'll pay through the nose to get it working right again.
NOTE:
If by chance a kind fellow ham has a full service manual for this RCI-5450Dx-100 model, I would be ever so grateful in hearing from you, and will make it worth your while, in sending me a pdf. copy of it, via email. I know Ranger radios are good radios (when they're working properly that is), and it's a shame to have a radio sitting gathering dust waiting for repairs, when it could be working on the airwaves. Someone please, let me know where I can get the full service manual for this radio. I have the knowledge, and skill to repair it, but I need the right info to work on it properly. Thanks. Wayne va3grp

TTOMAS59 Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2012 23:47 Send this review to a friend
First timer on 6 - 5450dx  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the RCI5450 100 watt version on Evil Bay for less than $200 in excellent condition. Buy it now still has good deals if you see the ad at some God forsaken hour and you pull the trigger first.

First impressions is a very quiet noise floor, an RF gain control, and a built in SWR meter. I can't picture myself getting into 6 meters from a multiband where very little design thought goes into each band. Also I want to monitor 6 without tying up my HF radio. And no menus, thanks! I don't want 13 bands, a computer, and a tuner in a radio the size of a pack of cards. The big three need to start making single band all modes again. I prefer form and ease of use over (mediocre) function.

The only nits I have so far is the lack of ability to write memories to the VFO, and an unadjustable cw sidetone at about 800hz (time to get out the SCAF-1). I haven't heard any signals on 6 yet but I can't wait for spe season when I'll decorate the neighborhood with pvc and wire. I have a Moxon on the drawing board to start. I can't wait!

Nice quality radio, easy manual, and a good company that answers technical questions quickly. Oh and the blue display is easy on the eyes.

AC5JV Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 14:12 Send this review to a friend
good rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
GOOD LITTLE RIG FOR THE MONEY ,I HAVE A SHURE AMP DESK MIC ON MINE GET GOOD AUDIO REPORTS.AND RUNNING A STACKED SET OF HOMEBREW HALO'S @20 AND 32 FEET .BAND GETS OPEN I GET IN THERE WITH THE BEST OF THEM .. BEEN LOOKING FOR SERVICE MANUAL FOR ONE THE CW PITCH IS TO HIGH, IF ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO ADJUST IT PLEASE EMAIL ME

EX_AA5JG Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2010 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded my expectations!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked one of these up a couple of months ago off of QTH.COM. I had been wanting one for a dedicated 6m listening radio to leave on 50.125 listening for band openings, and for an easy grab and go radio for 6 meter mobile work. I found one at a very good price and so far it is exceeding my expectations.

I have used it the past month listening for band openings, and most of the time I will just work the stations I hear with it instead of switching over to the Yaesu FT100D which is my main rig. 25 watts seems to be enough power for most QSOs. I also get good audio reports from other stations, and haven't noticed it drifting, as some claim it does.

I took it mobile for the 6 meter sprint and they band never opened but I did notice that the NB works very well on ignition noise, and it hears pretty good on groundwave with a mobile whip.

I was a little concerned about the audio output as the speaker is on the bottom of the radio and I have it sitting on the passenger seat in the van or on a shelf in the station. That is not a problem, though. Plenty of volume out, and the receive audio sounds pretty good also.

A couple of things I dislike about it:
1. No dual VFOs. That takes some getting used to.
2. It seems pretty sensitive to SWR, too much so.
3. Programming memories is the most awkward thing I have ever seen.

If you need a rig to get on 6m with and can get one of these ofr $175 or less, go for it. I enjoy using mine and it is doing much better than I anticipated. So far my best QSOs on it have been with Mexico City. It won't outperform my Yaesu FT100D on 6m but then it only costs 1/4 as much.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2009 09:44 Send this review to a friend
NOT BAD AT ALL }:>)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I do NOT know what happened to my 1st review on the 5054DX but I'll repeat myself.I owned my 5054DX for about a year & used it mobile & base for a while.I used a PAR OA-50 antenna on my pickup & a Mirage 160 watt ampifier & had VERY GOOD success & GREAT signal & audio reports from all over North America,South America,Central America,& Canada.It OF COURSE is NOT in the same class as my ICOM 756 PROII or ICOM 746 PRO but I would NOT have a problem owning another 5054DX should I need a MONO BANDER for 6 meters.I would consider the 5054DX-100 for the extra output power.I have a friend here locally who runs the 5054DX-100 mobile with a 1/4 wave verticle & he really enjoys it when the band is open.I sold the 5054DX because I upgraded to an ICOM 706MII at the time for my mobile setup.

CLAYTON
W4KVW
EM80

KD3GM Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2005 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Good Bang for the $$$  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this rig in October,2004 brand new from ebay fully expecting it to be entry-level quality. I paid $200 for it which is less than most 20 year old rigs are going for which have less features than this one. For an entry-level 6M radio it does everything I expect of it. The front end could use a little work (noise floor a little high) as well as the receive audio, but a good DSP has cured a lot of its ills.

I give it a five out of five because of the price vs. value received. I wasn't shure I really wanted to get on 6 Meters, but with as little as an investment as I have in this rig, I'm glad I did.

I do like the large LCD display, easy to see for mobile operation and the layout of the controls is fairly intuitive. The radio is ruggedly built and should last a while. I get good signal and transmit audio reports on both FM and SSB into my 1/4 wave ground plane. What more could you ask for for two hundred bucks!

KD5NMI Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2003 01:57 Send this review to a friend
Lots of BANG for you BUCK!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine 1 week ago and put a PAR horizontal Omni-angle (loop) up in the air about 18 feet.

If I can hear them ... I can talk to them, running barefoot (25-30 watts) and the Loop.

In the last week, I have worked CA, WA, OR, UT, WY, CO, NE, SD, MT, AZ, BAJA CA, OHIO, IOWA, IL, MI, WI, TN, KY, AL, NC, SC, FL, MO, MS, LA, and Jamica (I'm in Texas).

Receive Sensitivity is Great (uv .16), and Adj. Channel Rejection at 3kc is Excellent!

I have gotten "many" Un-solicited GREAT Audio Reports with the standard hand mic.

WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT FOR $269 !!!

CASPER669 Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2003 14:00 Send this review to a friend
It Works...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had mine for about 6 months and it is well-built. There is only 1 item I can take issue with... The only attainable tone-board for this unit is a monster. If you wish to hit more than one repeater, you have to open the unit and flip one or two dip-switches. Other than that, I've found it to be a little too noisy, but very nice.

Chris KC2KFW

M3SKF Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2002 13:19 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
My ranger is now 2yrs old it has never let me down i have worked some great dx.I get good reports from all, i use the ranger /m &/p if you want a good 6 meter radio at a good price this is the one for you.

KT4XF Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2002 02:02 Send this review to a friend
25w & 3el up 14ft  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wish there were more CW operators at 50.100 but the receive bandwith is too wide on CW and USB during crowded band openings.. .. ..