Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Hallicrafters SSB Transceiver SR-150 Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters SSB Transceiver SR-150
Hallicrafters SSB Transceiver SR-150 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $650.00
Description: SR-150 19-tube 80-10 Meter CW/SSB Transceiver. It used 19 tubes, and a dual conversion receiver for SSB/CW transmissions on 80,40,20,15 & 10 meters. The SR-150 is complex and well-constructed, and is known for its quiet receiver.
Mode: SSB/CW
RF Power output: SSB: 150 W (PEP input), CW: 125 W (input)
Voltage: Separate PSU (Mains or 12 VDC option)
Impedance: 50 ohms
Dimensions (W*H*D): 15 x 6.5 x 13"
Weight: 17.5 lbs
Manufactured: USA, 1961-1963
Other: 19 tubes. 12DQ6B finals
More info: http://www.w9wze.org/

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters SSB Transceiver SR-150.

NB9M Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2013 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Arguably one of Hallicrafters best efforts  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just picked up my third (and hopefully last) SR-150, after having regretted selling the previous two. This one has the original boxes, and the PS-150 speaker/power supply has been recapped.

The SR-150 incorporates a proven dual-conversion design that essentially dates back several years. Like the SX-101, dynamic range is excellent, and the receiver is very, very quiet. How quiet? Omni Series C & D quiet. That's unarguably a desirable for an older ham like me that is tired of the racket on the newer broad-banded rigs, which beat you to death during long sessions at the mic. Additionally, the AGC is smooth and largely predictable, which really helps the SR-150 to be a mainstay in my shack.

The VFO is silky-smooth with zero backlash. Recovered audio and transmit audio is a bit tight, but when properly aligned, perfectly acceptable. The SR-150 and SR-160 has of the easiest tube PA's to load in the vintage world. It also appears to have been the first transceiver with RIT.

Another big positive is the classic good looks - this is one very pretty rig. It's thoughtfully-designed and well-constructed. Recap the power supply and this transceiver should last you many years.

I did a side-by-side quick comparison with my nearby Kenwood TS-570D on receive. The Hallicrafters was not only noticeably quieter, but overall intelligibility is indisputable. The Hallicrafters SOUNDED more sensitive, but it's that awesome dynamic range coming into play.

Downside is the lack of switchable crystal filters. It tends toward being a bit microphonic. I wouldn't begin to press the SR-150 into something competitive - I leave that for the Drake B and C-line. But to live with every day, the SR-150 is like a comfortable pair of tennis shoes. How do you replace something like that?

KE5ZGI Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2011 15:22 Send this review to a friend
WOW ! Great reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this from a guy who was no longer using it. He primarily used it to just listen taking advantage of the well known receiver. I have been restoring it back to OEM. I get Great reports with it. One HAM in California thought I was joking when I mentioned I was on a tube radio. He stated it sounded as good as if not better than most modern day receivers. I use this radio with a D-104 (Silver Eagle) moddified to by-pass the MIC AMP .
This radio was intimadating for me at first because I was new to Tube rigs. After some coaching from a HAM friend Dave (AE5OV), it was a breeze after an hour of on-Air time.
Use my SR-150 Weekly and no regrets in the purchase.

VE4HAM Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2006 01:54 Send this review to a friend
Nice Vintage Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
With all the nano technology about and the inability for the layman to fix the rigs so compacted, I always have a good old tube rig about in good working order. I have a Hallicrafters SR 150 with a spare set of tubes and is ready to go anytime. I even use it sometimes for the hell of it. It's got fine audio on transmit with many good reports and a nice unbelievable quiet receiver. Hallicrafters put some good work on the front end. The dynamic range of the audio amp sure sounds great compared to my newer Yaesu. Tuning the SR150 is a snap and can tolerate percentages of SWR a solid state rig can't. I've had no problem with the set after owning it for 20 yrs as a backup radio. The SR series of Hallicrafters is getting to be a collectors edition series, as SR was mainly used for their transmitting units. A good unit is virtually problem free forever. Too bad the the japanese took over the market, Hallicrafters were on the road to some great new units involving solid state. America lost it's greatest radio builders on a sad note. Anyone who has never run a good tube rig should try one, get involved how simplicity could never be detected at the far end of the wireless link. The SR 150 is a keeper

WIRELESS Rating: 3/5 Jul 9, 2004 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Average  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio does nothing really bad but nothing great either. But it was a fun and easy to use radio. If all these 60's radios didn't use sweep tubes in the final I would probably still have most of them. Why they didn't use 6146s I'll never know. If you find one cheap and want a nice simple radio, this will work fine for you.

PY1BR Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2004 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Great for its age  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two SR-150. One as backup an eventually as source of parts. The SR-150 is a very nice transceiver, very simple. I am still restoring mine, changing some old high value resistors, some caps, etc.
It's incredible stable. Some more recent tube radios are not as stables as the SR-150. I use it to feel the 60's SSB operation. It's charming! An old Hi-Z dynamic Electro-Voice, and you have a great SSB station.