Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | TenTec 238B Help

Reviews Summary for TenTec 238B
TenTec 238B Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $475.00
Description: High power HF antenna tuner, using unique "L" network configuration
More info: http://www.tentec.com/HIGH.HTM#model238

You can write your own review of the TenTec 238B.

OD5ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2013 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Ten Tec 238 B  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got mine used from eBay , this tuner is great , I am now tuning my Hexbeam from 40m to 10m and it is working with good reports , it has an L network which means you can tune one time and use it on the whole band ,I can tune my Hexbeam to 1.1 SWR I am running a Yaesu amplifier " FL-7000 ", with the 238 B , I am getting full power out of it.

I highly recommend it

73 de OD5ZZ

KB3SI Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2010 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a used 238B to replace a 15 year old MFJ. I have a Power Master external meter so the built in meter that some have complained about was not a concern. Tuner certainly well built and the L network seems easier to tune. Has ability to connect to four antennas. The new version (238C) has a better meter, but is a bit pricy at $795.00. The only difference between the 238A and 238B is the color; grey for the 238A and black for the 238B. The original 238 had the older style case and pesky dial cord to show the position of the roller inductor.

If you are looking for a solid reliable tuner at a reasonable price look for a used 238A or 238B. Make sure the surfaces of the roller inductor are not oxidized. The manual should explain about periodically cleaning the roller inductor, but does not. Cleaning only takes a few minutes.

N4GG Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2009 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review of the 238B. I mentioned a few nits in my first review and gave it a 4, but also said I would buy another without hesitation if I needed one. Well, I decided I wanted a second one - I run SO2R here. The first one is now years old and runs at 1.5 KW trouble free into all sorts of far from 50 ohm loads. The second is just as good. Small in size for their low loss performance - these can't be beat. I hear there may be a 238C soon with a dual needle meter...

W1FK Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2007 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 238B is pretty good but has some weaknesses,in my opinion. Clipping the little hv capacitor on the back for some 160m use is a little cheesy, as is the lighted SWR/Powermeter. I use a 12V "wallwart" xfmr instead of the 13.8V from my rig, in order to extend the life of the meter bulbs. A redesign is in order, to change the meter and use longlife diode bulbs. A couple of times the roller inductor jumped off its track, requiring me to open the tuner and adjust. I've had no other maintenance issues. The color and design matches my Orion II and Centurion amp. I really don't need the meter since I have the meter on the Orion II and the metering functions on my Array Solutions Powermaster wattmeter. Overall, a good design and well built.

K4GK Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2007 13:23 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the 238B tuner for almost three(3) years. I purchased it primarly because of the good review in QST. As far as the tuner itself is concerned, I continue to be amazed by its' good performance. I work all bands from 160 through 10 meters with a single 135 foot long center fed Zepp antenna fed with 450 ohm line. I have even used the tuner on 6 meters by simply using the built-in balun and placing the High Z/Low Z switch in the bypass position.

I do have one complaint. The built-in Watt meter is cheap, cheap, cheap. I have found the meter reading in the power (Watt) positions to be completely inaccurate. It works fine in the SWR/SET position, but, forget it as a means to measure power in Watts. Go buy yourself another more accurate Watt meter.

With more than 47 years of hamming I've used several tuners through the years.

Despite my bad review of the power meter, I STILL RATE THE TUNER AS A 5 OUT OF 5, FOR SATISFACTION AND OVERALL PERFORMANCE. And I must say, that I think that it is still THE BEST COMMERCIAL TUNER OUT THERE, because of its' low loss.

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2006 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Revisiting the 238B  Time owned: more than 12 months
I enjoy open wire fed dipoles (doublets), and my tuner of choice is a Palstar AT5K. I have recently put the Ten Tec 238B back into service to experiment with some antenna projects which seem to be ongoing. I have to report that this tuner does exactly what it advertises it will do at legal limit with great efficiency. It continues to be a piece of equipment that lives up to its promise. If you are looking for quality gear at a fair price, look no further.

W8KI Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2006 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Good Buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although I am not fond of the set/calb SWR meter schemes, I didn't buy this unit for that specific function. I recently purchased the 238B as part of a complete (stock) Ten-Tec Station (O II, etc). I will say that this transmatch is very consistent and repeatable... Find your optimal settings and write them down. The next time you go there - just dial it in! I operate mostly 80-10 and a lot of out-of-band MARS with a modified Dbl Ext Zepp (300' long). The other tuners I own are the Dentron 2000a, Viking & Murch. This TenTec 238B surpassed my expectations and is now my favorate of the four tuners. My close-second choice is the Dentron.
de W8KI,
Russ

WA6IPD Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2006 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been an amateur for over 50 years and have seen my share of tuners; this one is excellent and uses the superior L-Network. Most tuners use the simpler T-Network which makes tuning 160 difficult. The Palstar AT-1500CV is useless on 160, see QST review Feb 2003. The MFJ-986 along with others like the Vectronics HFT-1500 are known for arcing at high power. This tuner is smaller than most which is also a plus. As for the meter I find it more than adequate a larger cross needle meter wouldn’t be of any particular advantage for me, once I set the tuner I watch my LED SWR meter. My meter is home brew see QST June 1996 or this web site

If you have any antenna problems this LED meter lets you know fast. I also find the quality of TenTec products excellent; I have an Orion II as my main transceiver.

K9IUQ Rating: 3/5 Apr 22, 2006 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Ok But not Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the 238B for a couple years now. It works well.I owned a Palstar before the Ten Tec. The Quality of parts is much higher in the Palstar. I believe the engineering design of the Ten Tec to be better.

The meter in the 238B is laughable, they should be ashamed. It is useless and is the cheapest meter I have ever seen in a tuner. If you buy this tuner, plan on using something else for metering.

Also *some* antennas will not tune on 160 mtrs with out attaching an external capacitor which is supplied. Doing this tho will make other bands difficult to tune.

Bottom Line - A over rated tuner, the Palstars are better...

WD2I Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2006 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Superb Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Ten Tec 238B tuner in my opnion, is by far the best tuner out there. After checking the specs.of other tuners out there I think Overall the 238B has the lowest loss of any of the other tuners I looked at. I have been using the 238B for about a year now although with only 100 watts, with absolutely no problems. It will tune my Cushcraft R7 vertical, as well as my homemade trap dipole on all bands, 1:1 or less including 160m on the dipole. The 238B is pleasant to look at and easy to operate. This is the first Ten Tec product I've owned, but will not be the last. 73 tom