Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | TenTec 238B Help

Reviews Summary for TenTec 238B
TenTec 238B Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $475.00
Description: High power HF antenna tuner, using unique "L" network configuration
More info: http://www.tentec.com/HIGH.HTM#model238

You can write your own review of the TenTec 238B.

AB3CX Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2006 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
No issues whatsoever for me with my 238B. I run 1200 watts output from my Ten Tec Centurion. Matches my coax fed HF-9 V and a ladder line fed 350 foot Zepp on 160, 80, 40, 30 or 20. I'm happy.

K1FPV Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2005 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Built Like A Tank  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one solid antenna tuner! Ten-Tec didn't cut corners here. I am using it at my new QTH using a 150 foot long dipole fed with 450 ohm ladder line. It tunes with ease on 80 through 10 meters but won't match the antenna on 160 meters. I'm using my old Heathkit SA-2060A for that band. Over all, this is a nice tuner.

N9VR Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2005 12:37 Send this review to a friend
it WORKS!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After fighting the MFJ line for some time, I bought the Ten Tec 238B....what a joy, it works as advertised! Even the meter works!! YEAH!

AC5AA Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2005 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned the earlier model, the "238" with the grey/black cabinet and the sliderule dial turns counter for about eight years. It worked very well, and when I moved to the Orion tranceiver, I decided to go for the more preferred vernier turns counter. Now that I have used it for a year or so, I find I liked the older dial better - it was really easy to see where it was tuned at a glance. But no big deal. Both do an excellent job of tuning. No switch for the lamp? I just wire it to the rig's +12V, and it comes on with the rig. I use mine from 160m - 10m and really enjoy the efficiency of it and the repeatibility of the numbers. The SWR metering circuit could be improved, but I use a separate Autek WM1 (soon to be Array Solutions PowerMaster) for continuous monitoring. Another positive point - great resale value! I always recommend this tuner to those who need a good KW tuner. Check the ARRL review for comparison to others.

W8ATT Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2005 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Very Solid Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I researched big tuners for quite a while and like most people have found the losses in this tuner are the lowest. I like the ability to switch 4 antennas with it too. A very well built tuner that will last for years.

WV8PC Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2004 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Best Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After looking at the specs of all the tuners I could find on the market the 238B won hands down. It has the lowest overall loss of all the tuners I researched and tunes antennas others cant.

WV8PC
Paul

WB7QXU Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2004 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Best buy on the market  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these to finally get a tuner that would tune my ladder line antenna's. well it does. I use many ladder line fed dipoles with external balums from Radioworks which really are the best combination. I also use my heathkit for ladder line to the back of it.
I like this tuner because it is a L network, only one match. No Circulating currents, therefore no arching. It will really tune to a flat 1:1 and very nice velvet touch.
Drawbacks I had to sent it back to have ten tec replace the plastic lug for balanced line on the back of the tuner because one of them melted. this has not happened again so far. Another Draw back is no on/off switch for the meter light. a simple switch would have done nicely. And no cross band meter for Power and SWR indication.
It is hard to understand, Ten Tec really built a Winner for a L network that tunes very well and takes a beating, and stays tuned no arcs or any other problem. Some how the over looked a few cosmetic features. I gave it a 5 for it's tunning performance. It is the best Tuner I have owned. I do have Heathkit, Drake, Dentron, and Had a MFJ Differental T 986 but it performed like all MFJ products. I will say no more it has gone to a better world.
This Ten Tec was totally worth the money, even having had some problems I still think it was the best tuner choice I have made

WB6Q Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2004 23:28 Send this review to a friend
The best I have used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a ham since 1963 and have used a lot of tuners and this is the best most efficient tuner I have ever used. This one will never leave my ham shack.

K5QA Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2004 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner for the price.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am very pleased with the 238B. I have only had
one problem with it, the slider wheel on the
roller inductor kind of got in a bind, and the
wheel was cutting into the shaft that it slides
on. I think it had an inside sharp edge that was
gauging into the shaft as it tuned up and down.
TenTec sent me a new wheel and shaft. Have not
had any problems since. The tuner tunes just
about any antenna I have, on any band, very
smoothly, and repeatable. The SWR/Power meter
is a little dinky, but I normally use an external
automatic computing meter anyway.

VA6SZ Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2004 02:20 Send this review to a friend
Addition to the last review...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I almost forgot, there is one thing that disappoints me about this tuner. It has been mentioned before and I agree; the meter sucks! A larger meter, maybe a dual needle type would be much better. The meter that TenTec has chosen to use looks "Mickey Mouse" for a tuner of this quality. But, quite a small annoyance for a great piece of gear!