Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Yupiteru MVT-7100 Help

Reviews Summary for Yupiteru MVT-7100
Yupiteru MVT-7100 Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $250
Description: Full, continuous coverage from 530khz ~ 1650MHz. Any mode from AM, Narrow FM, Wide FM together with Upper & Lower sideband. Increment steps vary from 1kHz up to 100kHz although when LSB or USB is selected then increment steps as small as 100 or 50Hz can be used allowing for true and
accurate tuning of utility stations.

The MVT-7100 scans at sprightly 30 channels a second, fast enough to keep up with all the action, and with 1000 channels that can mean a considerable amount! If you have a mix of frequencies in different modes and you just want to scan the airband frequencies (AM) you can even tell the MVT-7100 just to Scan those channels that have frequencies stored in AM mode. This saves you having to "lockout" all the channels in other modes.

You can write your own review of the Yupiteru MVT-7100.

N8YQX Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2014 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent general purpose receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this receiver for 20+ years. It still works, and it comes in handy when I need a receiver that can receive anything.

For a handheld receiver, the audio quality is excellent, and receive sensitivity is good enough that it can be used for HF with the stock antenna.

Although I have upgraded to P-25 capable scanner for VHF/UHF, MVT-7100 is still my go-to for general purpose receiver.

N6HPB Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2014 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Love it!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my 7100. But It has been giving me some issues lately and I am wondering if anyone knows someone who can tune it up for me? Also... it there an internal memory battery that could have died?
I have had this model for well over 10 years.

KN0CK Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2010 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Radio!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw all the reviews here on eHam.net and was deciding on either a Yaesu VR-500 or a Yupiteru MVT-7100....Glad I went the Yupiteru route - this receiver is INCREDIBLE on ALL modes and HF . On par or better than my station rigs (TS-140S and a FT-100) and some handhelds that I've owned ('8200MK series). No kidding, this receiver is VERY sensitive on HF and with the right antenna (and a rubber duck is NOT the right antenna - I'm currently using a 'portable' longwire with a counterpoise) and it's kicking my TS-140S's fanny (and until now, I thought my '140S was a great receiver, too, compared to my FT-100 and FT-817). This receiver works excellent on SSB on 40m and 80m - I've been copying ragchews all night with great clarity. My only complaint (and seems to be a common thread from all the reviews) is that the LSB or USB receive bandwidth is wider than you'd expect for a high performance receiver on HF. You can hear ragchews up 5 - 7 kHz up or down the band from the tuned frequency. Also, I've noted the 'off center' tuning as compared to my '140S (as much as 3 kHz), but it's not THAT annoying unless you really need to know the actual tuned frequency. For monitoring on SWL AM, it's fine (within reason) from the SWL log to the actual tuned frequency on the '7100. Also, the case is a little cheaper feel (seems a little thin - you couldn't drop this radio without destroying the case) than most I've owned (like the 8200), but not that objectionable. I'm not planning to go off-roading or outbacking with this radio - - I bought (for a song, mind you) a REALLY excellent wideband handheld now that I'm really going to appreciate listening to around the house and when RV'ing. A LOT less hassle to carry than my FT-817 for monitoring purposes. I'd highly recommend this radio to ANYONE who wants a high performance HT-like radio with GREAT receive. For a 10-year old radio technology, it plays A LOT better than my HTs (VX-7R, VX-2, and TH-F6A) that are brand new. So far, I love mine - A LOT!

73's de Marty, KN0CK

G1HQK Rating: 4/5 Sep 4, 2010 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I only had my 7100 for around 6 weeks, enjoyed using it but found lots of noise on several parts of several bands, the HF side of things was ok as a bonus, no relacement for a HF reciever of course. Did not like that the back light could not be kept on without modification.
Have since sold it and bought a MVT3300EU which I have to say I prefer, nicer feel, easier to use less fuss, no Hf but that does not matter, after all its a scanner not a general coverage reciever.

N5OFQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2010 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Good, with one major flaw  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great receiver but the 2 second (minimum) delay before scanning resumes is just dumb. Should be able to do 1 second or less. Also, being an older scanner, it does not do trunking. Although you can program analog trunked channels, the 2 second delay causes missed replies.

G7MIW Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2009 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Just brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sadly my trusty old Uniden Bearcat 200-xlt met with an untimely demise when I fell and it went on a journey down a flight of wooden stairs, as luck would have it Yupiteru had announced the arrival of their latest scanner, the MVT-7100. With some reluctance I sold my FRG-7 and purchased the 7100 within days of it's release believing the Yupi would be sufficient to cover all my needs. How right I was.
The Yupi has only ever let me down 2 times, both were caused by the antenna connection inside where the BNC connector is soldered to a small post on the PCB. This failed due to the weight of the antenna and the flexing of the plastic panel the BNC is mounted in. Really a small design fault but one that I have now remedied by using a small loop of multi core wire between the BNC and PCB. Since the mod the Yupi seems to be performing better that it ever did before. HF aviation is a breeze now.

It is easy to operate and becomes intuative after a while.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2008 22:09 Send this review to a friend
fantastic on HF  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This set ROCKS!! Doesnt look as cool as an AOR 8200 or Icom R 10 but outperforms both on HF freqs. Easy user interface, MUCH simpler than R 10. I did a side by side with R 10 and the Yupi, switching one BNC telescoping antenna st to 12 inches back and forth so as to eliminate any antenna advantage. The Yupi goyt sold copy on a 40 meters SSB QSO that the R 10 couldn't hear at all (it could when I hooked it up to a 10 ft wire). Still I love the audio squelch on the R 10 in SSB mode, far better than a carrier squelch for HF monitoring. The Yupi does fine on VHF and UHF FM and AM, and scans MUCH faster than the R 10 does. Bought mine used for $130 and very happy with the value. Made in Japan, good quality.

N5NWI Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2007 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Still the greatest handheld scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Yupi over 12 years and it's still my favorite radio. Bought it in Canada years ago. It looks like it's age but still performs like it's out of the box. Sensitve to all freqs, fast search, multiple modes, bandwidths, 1000 channels, etc, etc...

I would buy another one in second if I had the extra cash. I've used it as a regular analog scanner (and trunking albeit my Bearcat gets that job normally), for TV (audio)/AM/FM/SW reception, for satellite / ISS monitoring, WEFAX, even as a piece of test equipment. I take it everywhere - work, vacations, camping, hiking, canoeing, sailing, etc... It just keeps working.

If you want one full coverage portable receiver the Yupi is it.

Did I say I liked mine?

MWMAHER Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2007 18:53 Send this review to a friend
A useful rugged scanner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked up a well used Yupiteru MVT-7100 on an on-line auction. I have been very happy with its easy of use and reception.

Learned about the power-disconnect-reset-memory feature the hard way. I sure would love to find a replacement battery cover (mine is missing).

If you have a chance to buy a working model do so - a keeper.

Cheers!

SWLABN Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2006 10:08 Send this review to a friend
yuptastic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just had to get one of these - kept reading it was the perfect scanner and my mouth started to water as i read reviews.

Now i am writing my own and I can say it satisfies in every respect. Yep, it does have some weaknesses but the strengths certainly outweigh them!

I will take this scanner to the grave with me!