Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Yupiteru MVT-7100 Help

Reviews Summary for Yupiteru MVT-7100
Yupiteru MVT-7100 Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $250
Description: Full, continuous coverage from 530khz ~ 1650MHz. Any mode from AM, Narrow FM, Wide FM together with Upper & Lower sideband. Increment steps vary from 1kHz up to 100kHz although when LSB or USB is selected then increment steps as small as 100 or 50Hz can be used allowing for true and
accurate tuning of utility stations.

The MVT-7100 scans at sprightly 30 channels a second, fast enough to keep up with all the action, and with 1000 channels that can mean a considerable amount! If you have a mix of frequencies in different modes and you just want to scan the airband frequencies (AM) you can even tell the MVT-7100 just to Scan those channels that have frequencies stored in AM mode. This saves you having to "lockout" all the channels in other modes.

You can write your own review of the Yupiteru MVT-7100.

K9VKG Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2006 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my MVT-7100 for over 10 years now and it's been wonderful and I've never had a problem with it. Easy to use and great frequency range.

GM4DHJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2005 02:41 Send this review to a friend
Quality Item  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, had a couple in the past 10 years but got side tracked by small icom and yaesu scanners that you forget how to work after you put the instructions away and yes I got the yup up and running in a couple of minutes without looking at the instructions ! Small scanners with about four buttons are all very well but you need this baby to enjoy scanning.

2E0IRL Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2005 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Scanner!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for roughly 5 years now and it's a superb little scanner. I bought it to replace an AOR 8200 which was a very poor performer on all bands and I was never happy with the set.
The first night I had the 7100 I attached the whip antenna, tuned to Gander OAC on 5MHz and the station was booming in! I couldn't believe my ears!! And this was in Central London too!!! I was very impressed. I've since been able to hear some Asian aero stations on 11.285 using the supplied whip...!
The airband receive, which I mainly listen to, was significantly better than the 8200 and it actually worked on MW too! The AOR set supplies you with a ferrite bar antenna which you plug in the top of the set but this never made much difference to reception on MW. Using the telescopic whip the 7100 performance on MW easily outclassed the more expensive 8200.
In short, it's an amazing little piece of kit and anyone who has asked for any kind of advice on which scanner to buy I always tell them to get a 7100. For the price I don't think there is another hand held scanner on the market that does the job so well!

Andrew

TOMMYT Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2005 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned the Yup years ago but have still have great memories. I sold it and still regret ever letting it go. I have owned many scanners in my day, but I have to say that this little scanner is one of my all time favorites. It could pick up anything--its sensitivity was unparalled. It was not as rugged as othe portables but it was well-built none the less. All I can say is if you have one--keep it and if you have a chance to get one---do it.

UK1 Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2004 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Still first class after all the years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Yupi for over nine years now. It actually came out in 1993 here in the UK. I traded up from my older MVT5000 handheld, which was a bit bulkier and much more basic feature wise, but nonetheless that model was still the class leader in the early 90's until the '7100 came along. (I don't think too many of you in the US will be familiar with that model).

You have to remember how bad the market place for handheld receivers was back then with all those horrible, (IMHO of course) Realistic models, none of which came close in any way to these quality Japanese manufactured and designed receivers. The '7100 is a top quality radio. Yes, it is fairly 'plasticy' and not as obviously rock-solid tough like some of the modern MIL-STD HT's now available, but time tells and nine years down the line this set has weathered very well indeed with no problems at all despite countless hours of use. Testament indee to Japanese quality. We were very fortunate in the UK to be able to buy Yupiteru's.

There is no scanner around which can touch this model for both sensitivity and audio quality, well, not that I've used or read about anyway. (I suspect the original MVT 9000 may come the closest). I've had lots. I've tried most of the others.

The '7100, like the '5000 before it, came with a proper antenna--a telescopic--instead of an inferior rubber duck, making all the difference on VHF. Indeed, I have always found UHF comes in better on a good telescopic. You will hear signals on this radio that you won't on your Realistic's. In fact, you'll be amazed, I know I was! When we had 900 Mhz analogue cellular here I used a decent aerial and was amazed by the sensitivity. Of course, there is no missing spectrum on this radio too. The downside to the very wide coverage range and high sensitivity is a large number of birdies which drift around over time (probably temperature related?). There are quite a lot on the VHF airband, fortuantely on other bands they have never caused me too many problems. Like all handheld scanners there is some intermod too. But probably less than most--it's better in this regard than an Icom IC R2.

Yes this radio is pretty large and bulky by modern standards, it would be no good for stealth use or carrying in a shirt pocket unlike, say, a little Icom IC R2. But you have to way up the benefits of quality loud audio from the larger-than-average speaker, which means for instance you can use this radio in the car. Try doing that with one of the tiny 'tinny' scanners! And you get a full keypad for quick and easy frequency access. In fact, the buttons are all just the right size. And proper squelch and volume knobs too--very important, and much, much better than some control setting buried deep within a menu.

The '7100 does eat batteries though, and runs down a set of four medium capacity AA Ni-cads in around three hours at best. Another bad point is the constant background hiss audible through an earphone when no signal is being received--very annoying and stops you from using an earphone, or it does me anyway. A point there to the Icom IC R2, which remains totally silent through the earphone when not receiving.

This is an all-mode radio, and you really do not need any more features on a scanner than this as they would only really be gimmicks. The performance is 'where it's at' with the '7100. Other handheld scanners are newer, most are smaller and lighter, but if you want true performance and quality then this set has to be right at the top of your list.

VK7ZJA Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2004 19:45 Send this review to a friend
The hottest receiver ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 7100 is dead simple to use.
Sensitivity - by far the most sensitive VHF & UHF radio I have ever used, bar none. Even at 800 MHz, it beats the real Motorola and EDACS units I've compared it against. Way down at HF, it is still devillishly sensitive and very good SSB reception for a handheld. Very good audio, but definitely a different tonal quality from most other scanners. (maybe lacking in bass a bit?)
The 7100 does suffer from a bit of intermod, probably a result of it being so damn sensitive. High 400 MHz areas get swamped by 900 MHz digital cellular signals.
But, selectivity is very good.
Other than that, no complaints at all with this unit.
OK, so it doesn't have all the latest hot-shot features, and it is getting a bit dated, but this scanner does something better than any other scanner can - receive weak signals! This is especially useful if you are not in a CBD area. Definitely worthwhile hanging on to this one! An absolute joy! (so long as you don't live in a big city that is)

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2004 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Also bought a second one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these h/held scanners on a trip to London a couple of years back. It was awesome in performance. Looks, well,it looks a bit dated, big and square corners, much like a brick. It's performance is unrivaled though, as a handheld. Excellent sensitivity, and the audio quality blows my hair back - probably due to the large speaker inside. I since bought a Yaesu VR-500, which is terrible - intermod, thin tinny sounding audio and intermod prone.
Then my Yupiteru was stolen in a burgulary from my office. I missed it's performance, and so went back to London in December 2003 to buy a new one for 245.00 pounds from ML&S. While in Martins store, I also bought an Icom R3 with Tv monitor etc. Well the yupiteru beats the Icom hands down in performance - the good thing about the Icom is the TV receiver. In summary, for the price, the Yupiteru is a clear winner, beating other handheld scanners 2 or 3 times its price.
73 John ZS5J

G0SLQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2004 17:57 Send this review to a friend
So Good I bought It Twice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this as a Christmas pressent for my father many years ago. It was getting long in the tooth, when i replaced it eventually with ...yes, you guessed it another MVT7100. My father passed the original down to me. It is immaculate having lived in its case for years. Only fault is where the batteries came in and out over the years, the holder became loose. I now just use the Yupiteru charger and have a great radio covering am broadcast to 1296mhz and beyond, via, public broadcast, all ham bands civil & military air, local utility companies and all mode to boot. At under 200 (UK price) has proved to be better value than all my other ham purchases, certainly the most used.

MM0BFF Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2004 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Great receive Sensitivity  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this scanner for about 7 years and it has not let me down once!

Spec
The 1000 memory channels are more than enough for my needs and I am sure any one elses. The radio has all modes that includes AM/NFM/WFM/USB/LSB although SSB (USB/LSB) can be resolved very well on this radio it is not spot on frequency at all, normally about 1Khz offset minimum, on mine anyway. To be fair it is a handheld radio that was made in the early nineties.
Great audio output and has an earphone socket which is essential if recording to computer.
Good large frequency readout coupled with a signal meter (S1-9 bars) on the LCD display, with a backlight when required.

Sensitivity
The receive sensitivity beats ANY of my other scanners and trust me, I have had lots.
The quoted figures do not do it justice.

Selectivity
The selectivity (or filtering) of the Yupi 7100 is, to be honest is not that great but for VHF/UHF FM/AM monitoring this is not normally a problem unless you are near any paging systems or high power transmitters although other scanners I have owned have faired worse in this area than the Yupi 7100.

Programming
Dead easy to program the yupi:
1. Simply select the channel you want to program.

2. Go into VFO mode and punch in the frequency.

3. Change the step size/mode and hit function/MW (Memory Write).

The frequency is then entered into the memory channel and the radio automatically increments up one channel and then returns back to VFO mode ready for your next frequency entry, good huh!
The yupi also has many other modes and features which are useful when scanning the bands.

HF SSB operation:
The yupi fairs OK on HF SSB considering it is a wideband handheld radio and used in conjunction with an ATU can give pretty good results. Where the yupi falls done on HF SSB is the selectivity (or filtering) as it is very wide!

VHF SSB operation
Again the selectivity is not great but VHF SSB is not 'normally' as crowded as the HF bands and is not really that much of a problem. I use it to listen to the Satellites on 2m and DX on 6M, it does the job well for me!

Yupiteru has released the 9000 MkII which I have not owned nor used and I expect would be a great radio and probably 'better' than the 7100 as it is a newer radio design although still a triple conversion super-het.
You can pick up a second hand Yupi 7100 for around 100, make sure you get all the bits with it too, including the charger. They still cost around 200 new.

Summary
The Yupiteru MVT-7100 is a VERY capable little scanner offering you wide band coverage from 100khz to 1.65GHZ! ALL mode and 1000 memory channels scanning at a rate of 30chs a seconds.
It is a great all rounder for catching those signals on any HF/VHF or UHF band AND in any mode.

I am hanging onto mine for a while yet!

AF1952 Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2003 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Good all rounder  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am surprised that this is the first review for this receiver as it has been around for several years and is popular here in the UK.
Compared with other hand held scanners it's appearance is a bit dated but when it comes to performance it is not lacking. This receiver out-performs many of it's more expensive modern counterparts !.
Like most scanners you find yourself running to the user manual everytime you want to do something . In all fairness I own four scanners which all program differently and this makes it difficult to commit every programming method totally to memory. The manual can be misleading due to various additional foot notes ,which blend in with specific instructions and cause confusion ( Our japanese brothers have yet to master the finer points of US/UK gramatical rules ).
Once the shortcommings of the manual are overcome things get better.
The MVT-7100 has excellent sensitivity and scans at a reasonable speed in both search and scan modes. The audio quality is about right though I have heard others comment that it is muffled , however for me it is ideal as it takes the edge off that irritating background hiss on weaker transmissions.
With a suitable antenna the SSB mode perfoms well although the frequency readout of the 7100 disagreed with the frequencies displayed by my two dedicated shortwave receivers. The difference in indicated frequency was not huge and given the wide band capabilities of the MVT-7100 a little artistic licence is permitted. Readings were accurate in all other modes.
In terms of overall performance the 7100 is up there with the best. The viewing angle of the LCD is biased towards a 45 degree angle but in use it would be held that way , so no real complaints here. The display has all the usual information including signal strengh. The back light has to be held on, by way of a button on the left hand side and goes out as soon as the button is released, not the most convienient feature. Below the backlight button there is a squelch overide button which is a usefull feature.
All scanners have shortcomings but the 7100 has less than most, it does what it says and does it well.