Reviews Categories | Electron Tubes | Svetlana 4CX800A ceramic tetrode Help

Reviews Summary for Svetlana 4CX800A ceramic tetrode
Svetlana 4CX800A ceramic tetrode Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$100
Description: Svetlana's $100 answer to Eimac's $500 3CX800A,
More info: http://www.svetlana.com/docs/products/metal/4CX800A.html

You can write your own review of the Svetlana 4CX800A ceramic tetrode.

M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2013 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased two Svetlana GU-74B NOS tetrodes off ebay from(tubes-shop) for £96.00 + £7.00 postage each.I tried both in my ACOM 1000 after setting bias both produced over 1kw into a dummy load.One is manufactured 1973 and the other 1987.The original GU-74B in the acom 1000 is still producing full output and used daily but i wanted to purchased a couple of spares.

Jim M0HDX

N4RSS Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2010 11:37 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed two NOS GU74b's into my QRO, dates codes 1984 and 1990 I believe, ordered from QRO Parts. The originals were fine after 9 years but I wanted spares.

Getting the pins to mate with the socket was tricky but that's my problem.

Power output of the new ones same as old, 45 watts in on 20m gives 1950 watts out.

K7ORK Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2009 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Nikmatvey for 91b replacement tubes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Alpha informed me that the AC trip problem with my 91b (purchased 1997) was caused by the GU74B (4CX800A) tubes going bad. I panicked when they could not recommend a source for replacement tubes.

After searching eBay for replacements, I ordered two tubes from Nikmatvey in Russia for $400 plus $30 for shipping. The tubes were not tested nor matched. They arrived about four weeks later.

The tubes were installed in less than fifteen minutes. They work greatÖless drive power to get full output.

Now, I donít have to consider replacing the 91b because of lack of tubes.

ron@vinecom.co.uk is a source offering matched and tested GU74B tubes, but at a higher cost.

G8LIK Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2005 23:09 Send this review to a friend
These tubes rock!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As the proud owner of an Acom 1000 I can say the 4CX800A/GU-74B really delivers the goods without fuss, splatter or any other nasties at the 1KW power level. But have to wonder what will happen if/when the Svetlana NOS stocks dry up and you have to pay the full whack for those produced by SED. Some suppliers already charge over $200 for a single tube.Maybe a case of stock up now for rainy days whilst they are still around the $65 level on ebay?

W5VYY Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2004 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Great price  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Svetlana 4CX800A ceramic tetrode has a great power to price ratio. I just purchased two spare NOS tubes on ebay for $52 each for my QRO HF2500DX amplifier. What a bargain compared to the price of the 3-500Z, 3CX800, 8877 and other tubes built by Eimac. The 4CX800ís provide a power gain of 40X or 16dB on 160 and 80 meters where I do most of my operating. 40 watts of drive gives 1500 watts output and 65 watts of drive is an easy 2500 watts into a dummy load of course. I can not think of any tubes that provide high gain and high power at such an affordable price.

WB9WHE Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2002 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Dream come true!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
At 20% of the price of a Eimac 3CX800A, the Svetlana product is just as good. While Eimac's product is shiney and very, very pretty, the Svetlana product is Russian millitary, butt-ugly. But at 1/5 the price of the Eimac tube, who cares!

Some thay that the Eimac has slightly better specs...kinda like saying there is a difference between 1400 and 1500 watts. IF there is a difference, you will NEVER be able to detect it, no matter how hard you try.

My tube is 1/5 the price of your Eimac ...and if you shop carefully, you can find Svetlana 4CX800a tubes at $55 street price, or about 1/10th the price of Eimac. I bought 4 as spares!

ETO and Alpha have already switched. Ameritron has not. Why? I have no idea. As for me, I'll follow Alpha's lead.

Dasvedanya!