Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-2720 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2720
Icom IC-2720 Reviews: 30 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $365.95
Description: Dual band (2M/70cm) mobile rig

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2720.

KC5JK Rating: 2/5 Apr 22, 2006 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Nagging Issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
Using the 2720H as a fixed station away from any large city, I haven't had the intermod problems that many experience, and am surprised that Icom, a forerunner in solving intermod problems back in the early 70s, dropped the ball on this one.
My complaints are mainly two. I verfy much dislike that both bands have to share a common memory bank. I am also irritated at the stupid different dimensions of the box and control head, making it impossible to plug the head right onto the box (like the IC-706M2G) or mount on top of it. Hence, the unmounted head remains... unweildy.

N4IJS Rating: 4/5 Apr 22, 2006 05:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellant Radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received this radio as a Christmas Gift in 2005 and have not been disappointed at all. I installed it in my car without any issues (using only the parts supplied with the radio - including the separation kit). I live near Cincinnati, Ohio and travel through the city everyday for about 1.5 hours computing to and from work.

The radio performs extremely well and has been nothing but a joy to use. It has very good sound, excellent receiving abilities, and all of my signal reports have been excellent. It has most, if not all, of the features of itís competitors at a very reasonable price (including cross-band repeat that I use with my handheld). I enjoy the ability to listen to Ham on one "side" of the radio while listening to police, fire, and airplanes on the other. I have never had any issues with the radio not performing as expected.

I like this radio so much; I am considering buying another for my other car and hamshack!

If you are in the market for a radio of this type, please do consider this radio. I highly recommend it!

Summary-
PROS:
Dual bands
Cross-band repeat
Wide band receiving
Many features
Memory organization
Microphone - can do just about everything with it!

CONS:
Some of the functions are difficult to remember
Limited memories (212)

KC9EJN Rating: 2/5 Feb 11, 2006 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Not so great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a ham for about three years. My 1st was an Icom IC-2sat HT. I loved the simplicity and ruggedness of that radio and had high expectations for my most recent Icom purchase. I was enticed by the fact that the remote mounting was standard with the IC-2720 whereas you have to purchase the kits with yeasu ect...
I found the IC-2720 to just simply be a pain to program and the bank storage leaves much to be desired. If you aren't paying close attention while switching memory banks (like me) you'll find yourself unintentionally writing channels into banks for which they weren't intended.
As for the intermod problem.. I personally was DISAPPOINTED to say the least. I was under the impression that Icom was a leader in amateur radio manufacturing. After further review it has been my experience that the Yeasu FT-8800 is leaps and bounds ahead of the IC-2720. Honestly, the ease of operation alone makes the FT-8800 a better, more "user friendly" rig. But comparing the two is unfair I feel. The IC-2720 doesn't have the crossband repeat function that so many of us are after. Nor does it have alpha tagging which is very useful as well but if you're looking for nightmarish intermod and entirely too complicated operation, the IC-2720 is the way to go. To put things another way; the IC-2720 and the FT-8800 are similar in the same way that a bologna sandwich and a T-bone steak are similar... They both can get the job done but no matter how much cheese you put on it, one is still nothing more than ground up byproducts.

KC8SUR Rating: 3/5 Jan 29, 2006 00:57 Send this review to a friend
Sqelcher  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rig in my pickup for about a year now. I like the look of the remote head but I have slowly come to want more out of the radio lately.

First, it does have intermod issues. In my 1.2 mile treck to work, i can get a sqelch break when there really isn't anything there like five times. On the trip to visit family, a 3 hour drive, the sqelch attenuator is cranked to full clockwise, just trying to keep the noise out.

In conversation, the radio does get out well. I once drove from the northeast Ohio area to the Columbus area and had a Ham in Mansfield the whole trip (through a repeater in his town).

What draws me away from this radio and to the Yaesu FT-8800:
Only 212 memories fills up quick.
Programming banks is like eating with chop sticks-you have to read the instructions every time, and you still look clumsy.
Yaesu fans claim the Ft-8800 has nowhere near the Intermod.
Once you get more than 20 memories, you have to have ALPHA tagging--the 2720 doesn't.

Only noted Pros not found elsewhere:
The Icom Mic can control about anything you need other than entering X-band repeat.
IC-2720 has two external speaker ports.

Final word: I'm "trading up" to the Yaesu on Monday.

KC2MLA Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2006 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Intermod issue is there but not as severe as stated. Have had mine over a year and works in my auto great. Will be upgrading to a 706mkIIg soon but have had not major issues with the 2720.

KB4T Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2005 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Dual Bander  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my 2720H new at Dayton 2005. I've been using it in my work van ever since. The control head is mounted on a short gooseneck attached to the doghouse and the radio lives under the passenger seat. The antenna is a Larson dual bander on the roof.

I understood from the beginning that the 2720H is not the same type of dual band rig as an IC-2800H. By that I mean the rig is dual band capable but is not two complete radios in one box.

I travel throughout NE Florida. There are only a few urban areas. The territory is predominantly rural. Occasionally I venture down to south Florida where there are much larger cities. I have never experienced any sort of intermod problem. Perhaps the cities through which I travel do not have the same measure of intermod that afflicts the largest urban areas around the country.

Trouble-free experience with my pair of IC-2800H true dual banders convinced me the 2720H would be a good buying decision. The 2720's memory bank feature attracted me most. I have a need to scan selected groups of frequencies from time to time and memory banks are perfect for that application. I'll admit the procedure required to create memory banks and to switch into memory bank mode can seem complex. Thankfully the manual describes the procedure step by step very clearly. Once you've done it a few times it is easy. In fact, the entire manual is very well done. I had no trouble mastering any of the procedures required to use the radio's many features.

Transmit and receive audio is excellent and plentiful. I particularly enjoy using the hand mike with all the controls needed to enter frequencies, choose memories, setup priority monitoring and so on. Receiver sensitivity and selectivity are excellent. As a comm tech I can confirm < .2 microvolt sensitivity for 20 db quieting on VHF. < .25 on UHF. I am very pleased with the receiver performance.

Transmit output power averages 45 to 49 watts with my antenna system on VHF (Specs: 50W.) UHF varies between 31 and 33 watts (Specs: 35W.) I've seen this before with my other ICOM rigs. (IC-2000, IC-2800H & V8000) Full rated output power is only possible when the radio is powered by 14.5 to 15 volts. I always use 8 AWG wire connected directly to the battery. I measure 13.4 to 13.8 volts at the radio with the engine running. I suppose it would be nice to see full rated output but I'm not a purist so I'm not put off by the lack of 2 or 3 watts because functionally it makes NO DIFFERENCE on the other end. Generally speaking, if I can hear 'em, I can work 'em.

I do a great deal of night driving. The display is easy to read even from a distance. The ability to dim the display allows me to be able to read the display without losing my night vision. The detached control head is simple to install. The controls are laid out in a sensible manner with adequate spacing to allow fat fingers with questionable aim to hit them correctly 98.9% of the time!

You can connect two speakers to the 2720H. I like this feature. With the speakers separated on either side of my head, I can easily tell from which band a signal is coming.

So why the 4 rating and not a 5??? There are no perfect radios. Using memory banks requires mastery of complex button pressing routines which can be tedious in a moving vehicle. Icom produces reliable VHF/UHF power amplifiers but they always seem unable to produce specified power output in a typical vehicle installation. The design seems to just barely meet spec instead of exceeding spec with a comfortable margin.

I am completely satisfied with my 2720H. For the most part, it is a joy to use. No technical failures or issues. The radio works well and meets all of my needs. Not perfect but very close.

K9KJM Rating: 0/5 May 15, 2005 00:28 Send this review to a friend
JUNK- I dont care how new  Time owned: more than 12 months
I dont care how high the serial number is, The 2720 HAS BAD MEMORY MANAGEMENT! It does NOT function as two radios in one like the older Icoms, OR the new Yaesu FT8800!!!!!
So the new ones dont blow up??? STILL a bad radio.
I have really liked Icom over the years, And still do. AND I now am getting lots of reports that ICOM is standing behind this pile of junk and fixing them for free.
ICOM IS a good radio company. They just had a real DUD with the 2720H.............

AD4SP Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2005 18:45 Send this review to a friend
NICE RADIO SECOND TIME AROUND  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would not buy a IC 2720 with a serial number below 6000000 number. Remember to ask for the serial number before you pick one up or you are risking you hard earned money.I have the IC 2720 and it operates as it should after putting one in the garbage can. The first ic 2720 radio was an early production and I lost the RF Output on both bands at once a little after a year so no warranty.Thank you Icom for such quality workmanship at a price you should be ashame of.
I liked the radio and its functions so much that I bought the second one and have had it for alittle more then a year with no problems to report.the fact that you can plug the mic right into the control head is the nubs.Why didn't Kenwood think of this fantastic option with there TMV7a or the new TM708V--- O Well....
SERIAL NUMBER IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR WHEN BUYING THE ICOM 2720 SO BE CAREFUL.
GOOD LUCK
AD4SP.

WT4K Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2004 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Don't see the problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The radio is a new purchase, but it has already traveled over a thousand miles through several large cities and I'm very pleased. I've owned a number of rigs over the years and while this radio is not immune to intermod, it's better than some others I've owned. Considering the sensitivity of the receiver, it does a good job of handling everyting except very strong signals. People who are complaining obviously didn't do their homework. If you have a need to be able to copy transmissions outside the ham bands you'll find the rig quite capable. One suggestion is to get an external speaker for the vechicle, the built in is ok, but a good external speaker makes it much better to listen to. I plan to do a follow up later but for now I consider it a good investment.

K8WLK Rating: 2/5 Jul 20, 2004 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Both Good and Bad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Strong points: excellent display, easy-to-use, dual receive, transmitter output good, small head size for easy mobile installation and excellent Mic design and usability.

Weak points: disastrous intermod problem. OK in rural areas but in big cities almost useless. There must have been some design compromises to accomplish wideband receive and price. What a shame! This could be a good radio.