Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Hustler mx-2 Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler mx-2
Hustler mx-2 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $? 34.95
Description: single band mag mount 2-meter antenna

You can write your own review of the Hustler mx-2.

N9IVO Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2012 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Great, but quality is slipping.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used these antennas for many years. I've always been extremely happy with them. I have had examples that needed to have the center tab bent out to make contact with the base. No big deal. I just ordered two more from R&L and the whip on both examples is no longer tapered. As soon as you handle the assembled antenna, it becomes obvious that the whip is much heavier. This makes it flex and flop around in the wind while under way MUCH more than the old examples. I wish I had saved the whips from the old ones. Other than that, these things perform very well and will give you maybe five or six years of service in the weather. (Mine are outside in Chicago 365 days a year.) A bargain for a mag mount with the coax and radiator.

KM0PT Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2011 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MX-2 is a great mag mount 2 meter antenna for temporary installations. The magnet was strong enough to stay on the roof of my truck without any issues of falling off from high speeds or rough terrain. It will be my first suggestion for any ham needing a 2m mobile antenna because of its simplicity, ease of use and price!

KE7VXP Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2011 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Good once you fix it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this to work 2m mobil comms for a 100 mile bicycle tour. Out of the package the thing would not tune on any frequency. Turned out the center conductor tab on the coil didn't make contact with the NMO mount. After much wailing and knashing of teeth I bent the tab, reassembled the thing and VOILA! Tuned up just fine. Working 40 watts with an IC-7000 I hit repeaters 50 miles in every direction. Good solid comms. This antenna is a good deal once you get it to work. Surprisingly poor quality control, no one should have to "fix" a brand new product.

KD8HRS Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2010 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Strong preformer,strong magnet!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent antenna! Stays put well in rough road conditions and comes with quality coax. Hits distant repeaters with ease,also gets great signal reports on simplex. Easy to tune for low SWR. I sometimes remove the coil off of the magnet and put it on a NMO ground plane kit for base station use where it also does very well. A all around good 5/8 wave antenna!

KC9IVU Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2009 19:02 Send this review to a friend
One slight issue  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my MX-2B (which is the black variant) since February of this year. Phenomenal antenna save for one little issue. The plastic around the loading coil cracked, and it wasn't subjected to strain. I sealed it back up, then had several of my friends tell me that they'd had something similar happen on their Hustler antennas.

Other than that, though, fantastic antenna. It's been on my car most of the year and now is a base and it's still working like a champ. If I could be certain that the case around the loading coil wouldn't crack, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

W2ZXN Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2007 14:18 Send this review to a friend
MX-2B is for Better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Hustler MX-2B which is the same as the MX-2 but in black rather than the stainless steel look. This 5/8 wave 2 meter NMO-mag mount mobile antenna is the most fantastic well-built antenna. It's extremely versatile for all types of environments, not to mention that it takes a beating and keeps on working like a charm with little or no adjustments. I couldn't be happier with my MX-2B. 73

W3FHW Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2003 13:17 Send this review to a friend
No Problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I first bought a Radio Shack 2 meter Mag Mount antenna and thought this can't be all there is to it!!! Reception was terrible and transmit VSWR was worse. Took it back for a refund and ordered a Hustler MX-2 Mag Mount. (They could be the same antenna, just packaged under a different name).(They look similar). They sure don't perform similar!!! Being serious, I really think the Radio Shack Antenna was faulty as the difference between the two antennas was great.

I have the Hustler mounted in the center of the roof my Ford 350 super duty van. Reception and transmission is super. I am entirely satisfied with this antenna. It tunes easily. The stinger is a little longer than required for the 2 meter band so adjusting VSWR for the entire band is a snap. In fact, I like it so well, I just ordered another MX-2 today to put on a Chevrolet Astro Van which my son drives. It may be the large roof area of the van that provides the good results of this antenna. I haven't tried it on smaller roofs yet. If I do, I'll report back.