Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Sennheiser HD-280 Pro - Circumaural Headphones Help

Reviews Summary for Sennheiser HD-280 Pro - Circumaural Headphones
Sennheiser HD-280 Pro - Circumaural Headphones Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $100
Description: The HD280 Professional is Sennheiser's most significant closed, circumaural headphone to be introduced in years. Designed to exceed the demands of the professional environment, the HD280Pro boasts extremely robust construction combined with extensive features that meet the requirements of today's most demanding applications. The unique collapsible design combined with swiveling ear cups, offers maximum flexibility in any application. Features Include: Closed, dynamic stereo headphones (circumaural) -
Accurate, linear sound reproduction for critical monitoring applications - Optimum impedance ensures universal compatability - Space saving design features collapsible, rotating earcups - Up to 32 dB of ambient noise attenuation
Neodymium magnets for high maximum SPL - Single-sided, coiled cable with 3.5 mm mini jack with locking 1/4" adapter - Very comfortable, even if used for long periods of time - Rugged construction with user-replaceable parts - 2 year warranty.
More info: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite

You can write your own review of the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro - Circumaural Headphones.

K2MK Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2007 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Comfortable and sound good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The headphones fit quite nicely around the ears which definitely seems to help with overall comfort over long periods of time. They have a firm tension but it is not uncomfortable. I had been very happy with my Yaesu YH-77STA but thought I would give these cans a try based on the good reviews. I was not dissapointed.

The length adjustment stays put. It is not necessary to readjust everytime you pop them on. They have a detent mechanism that clicks and holds as you adjust the earpieces.

The cord is coiled and is long enough to turn around and reach for things on the table behind my operating position. The cord comes out of the left earpiece so it is easy to quickly distinguish left from right. I always seemed to put the Yaesu headphones on the wrong ears.

I use the headphones for CW and they do an excellent job cancelling out room noise. I can see my wife's lips moving but I have no idea what she is saying. And when I operate full break-in on my FT-1000D, the transmit really sounds like a chorus of crickets in August. The Yaesu cans didn't block the sound but these Sennheiser's completely block the sound 100%.

Highly recommended.

VA7CPC Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 02:51 Send this review to a friend
Good for everything!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's for eight months, for MP3 playback and on an FT-817, TS-570D, and FT-450.

They block out ambient noise _very well_ -- I can do CW while my wife has the TV on, loud, in the same room, without turning up the headphone volume.

The pads are thick enough so they rest on my head, _not_ on my ears. They're comfortable for many hours of wear.

They sound very good. At 62, some of my HF hearing is gone. But for the "communications frequencies" -- say, 150 - 5K Hz -- they're uncolored and absolutely clean. Very nice for classical music and jazz, which is all I listen to.

They've been a pleasure to use.

AH6RR Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2007 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Most Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine for some Live sound mixing as the headphones have the best outside noise killing abilites. I use them with my TS-850 and find them very comfortable. They are built like a tank and will last for years. Sennheiser has made them modular so parts replacing is simple and quick. I peeked to see if it would be hard to add a boom mic from my Heil BM-10 it can be done but I bought a Pro-Set 4.

NA0ED Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2005 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since I was not using the boom mic feature on my Heil headset, only the earphones, I started looking for a pair of phones that were comfortable and had good audio characteristics for CW operating. Well, I have found them - the Sennheiser HD-280 PRO. Excellent quality in every respect. A true bargain under $100.

KV6O Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2005 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Isolation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a pair for about 2 years now, I bought them for listening to music and watching movies on airplanes. I tried some of the ~$100 noise canceling headphones available at the time, and they were terrible these 280s do it the old fashion way closed design! While the low frequencies still make it thru, putting these on really shut out external noise, be it airplane noise or other contesters in the same room. I love mine!

SteveL
KV6O

KG4NCK Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2005 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Sounding Headphones  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought these headphones primarily for silent practice with my electric guitar. Then I got the idea that I should try them out for ham radio. They are very comfortable, wearing them for extended periods is not a problem. The build quality seems to be very good, they don't have that "cheap feel" at all. They are very effective at keeping ambient background noise to a minimum. As for the sound quality, well, I have yet to hear a set that sounds better than these. I especially enjoy using them when SWL'ing some of the AM broadcasts on the low bands.

N5BSD Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2005 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Head Phones  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having bought these phones before I became a ham, I have always been quite impressed with the noise blocking, and sound reproduction. Having since gotten my ticket, and used them quite often chasing DX or States I need on a couple nets, I am even further impressed with them. They block out most all of my background noise, and allow me to pull stations out quiet easily. Great buy for the shack, a little large for portable use, unless you happen to have a mobile shack, HI HI
Have used them at FD events and they work well course that was out of the back of the truck, so I was not porting them far.

-----------------------------------
John
N5BSD

N1EU Rating: 4/5 Jan 17, 2003 19:53 Send this review to a friend
Decent Isolating Headphones  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These headphones are a decent value for the $75 they're currently selling for online. They do an excellent job of sound isolation and are very comfortable. Their response is somewhat forward sounding, emphasizing the upper midrange/treble with rolled off bass. There's a noticeable (not subtle) difference when A/B'ing ssb audio with my HD-580's, whose response extends much lower and sounds significantly better/warmer/smoother - not just on music but on a decent ssb signal. The 580's faithfully reproduce the entire signal and the 280's audio sounds pinched off. The 280's are good cw headphones, with their narrower response. When checking the 280's with some test tones, I noticed some phasing anomalies at 100hz and below where the perceived bass would increase if I turned right or left - very strange. If you need the high degree of isolation that these headphones provide, they're a good bet. Otherwise, I highly encourage you to consider spending a few dollars more for the Sennheiser HD-580's.

Because there's a good chance that I got a bad sample (wired out of phase?), I'll be somewhat generous and give them 4 stars.

73, Barry N1EU http://www.albany.net/~bg

WV4R Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2002 19:27 Send this review to a friend
These babies are Well-Made and Clean Sounding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I got these HD-280 Pro Headphones out of my Christmas stocking, I was Immediately impressed with the quality of the product from a quality company. With a name like Sennheiser you Know they gotta be gud, right? I like the two-year factory warranty as well. But the proof is in the pudding...so when I placed the Circum-aural (that means fits all over ur ears Not jest On ur earz which is Supra-aural) C-Clamps on my head, I was impressed with the very soft cushions. They are fully adjustable for even the most swollen ego. The cable is heavier than my Sony MDR-V700D headphones and gold-plated with both 3.5mm and Screw-In (Not Snap-In) TRS capability out of the box. The elements are 40mm-sized Neodymium dynamic... thatz Supposedly the gud stuff. Impedence is spec'd at 64ohms so they are loud even if only rated at half a watt maximum long-term Input Power since they gotz minimum 102db SPL. They are Quiet at 32db Ambient Noise Attenuation... no outside washing machine/dryer/AC/TV blow-by noises! They are Professional Class with frequency response: 8hz. - 25khz. How many hedphones gotz a TWO year factory warranty? Now for Most amateur radio rigs, these headphones are clear and clean and accurate... However, compared to my 50mm/3watt Sony MDR-V700DJ Hi-Dollar headphones they do not have the big-bottom-bass you can expect to hear from a DSP rig that can Hear down to 50hz... but then How many rigs can even Hear below 100hz? So These new HD-280 Pro Headphones git the wv4r#4 rating... great quality, great value, clear and clean but no Big Bottom like the Hi-Dollar Sony. 73 es God bless, murf/wv4r.