Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Vectronics "VEC 201" Help

Reviews Summary for Vectronics "VEC 201"
Vectronics Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$25.00 (enclosure $5.00)
Description: CW Keyer Kit
More info: http://www.vectronics.com

You can write your own review of the Vectronics "VEC 201".

PA3ALX Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2013 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent keyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using hand keyers in my younger days as a radio officer. Being a little bit older now (72 yrs) I love the Vec 201 .Very comfortable for an old CW-er. Also building the kit was fun. I recomment buy also the casing. It gives a very nice finishing touch of the keyer.

G0JCN Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2013 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Great kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Built in one evening, worked first time. What more can I say, it does everything you expect it to do, easy to build and inexpensive.

KG6QNK Rating: 4/5 Sep 2, 2010 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was hesitant about Iambic Sending and needed to start with something. I was also intimidated with the keyers that have all those Functions; this one has only five Funtions; as I am familiar with MFJ this is the unit I went with. Very simple to build, good first project, and easy to use. Ordered the enclosure also, cost more than the $5.00 stated here. I'm used to enlarging, modifying, and redrilling Vectronics Enclosures, seems to come with the turf; however the one they sent was beyond help; they did send me replacement enclosure- no problems. Keyer keys accurately and the five Functions enter positively. Sounds good; except SideTone sounds distorted at speeds above +/- 30 wpm; allright with that, my "Terminal" speed is 25 wpm. C-13 220 uF electolytic Cap in the LM-386 Audio output seems way to high of a value to me. May want to experiment with lower value, if this bothers you. The keyer is fine for me, at the speeds I work with; however, the rule of thumb with keyers is get the best you can get from the beginning, not a huge price differential, and I wouldn't be intimidated by the units with all those:"300 wpm" Meteor Burst Modes and such; fun to learn to use those functions- whether you use them or not. Brings up a good point, I do not experiment around with the weighting- I use the default setting. Good unit, If I was going to do it all ovar again, I'd start off with the Cats Pyjamas first. TNX VY 73 ..

OE5CSP Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2007 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this kit for my first HF-rig, an FT 77.Building it was easy, thanks to the good instruction book.Unfortunatelly they included a false transistor, so it took a while to get a new one from a fellow ham.
It has worked for several years now and I have no complaints!

W7PQ Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2004 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Good kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Instructions were clear and easy to follow. The kit was complete. I purchased the kit so that my 11-year-old daugter (KD7WHI) could have a keyer in her room to practice CW. With me sitting beside her, she followed the instructions and she soldered the kit, while discussing each part and what it does. We had a great time, spent a few evenings together and it worked as advertised. It was a great experience and she is already trying to wear it out.

NZ0T Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2003 21:17 Send this review to a friend
Easy To Build, Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought one of these little keyers along with the matching enclosure. Took about 2 hours to build with no glitches. Clear instructions and all components seem to be good quality. Nothing fancy but a great keyer for the price!

N5ZFW Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2002 20:50 Send this review to a friend
great CW keyer kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great kit for the novice and the experienced ham alike. This is the first piece of electronics that I have ever built. Assembly took approx. 2 1/2 - 3 hours. For once there is a product that requires assembly that has a good instruction book. The instructions are easy to read and understand.The kit functions as advertised. I tested it the other night with a friend on 80 meters. He stated that the keyer sounded great, even with my fist. I would buy another one.