Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | OPEK UVS-300 Dual Band Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for OPEK UVS-300 Dual Band Vertical
OPEK UVS-300 Dual Band Vertical Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$ 89.00
Description: Dual Band Base Station Antenna 204 inch (17 foot) 8.3 DB (2 meters) and 11.7DB gain (70 CM) 3 elements collinear on 2 meters and 8 element collinear on 70 cm
More info: http://www.opek.com.tw/cd/owa/siw_main.display_map?pi_org_id=8800263967

You can write your own review of the OPEK UVS-300 Dual Band Vertical.

W8FUH Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2014 11:16 Send this review to a friend
OPEK UVS-330 is an AWESOME Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't be deceived by some of the poor reviews here, this antenna is everything you could hope for in a dual band vertical.
The assembly is a snap, they provide all the needed parts, including stainless steel hardware. I took my time and from beginning to end, it probably took me an hour and a half all by myself. In fact, soldering on a new PL-259 was one of the most time consuming tasks.
I read the reviews here on the Workman, the Opek and the others that are all essentially re-packages of the same antenna (they are, trust me). Based on the impressive performance that people were getting, I decided to give it a shot. I could have bought a Comet or Diamond, but honestly, why spend more money for a product that isn't any better quality, and actually has worse performance numbers?
For me the test would be hitting the only regional D-Star repeater in my area. I had a home brew copper dipole that worked great for local contacts and local repeaters, but couldn't touch the D-Star repeater that is about 45 miles away. NO PROBLEM for the Opek/Workman!! This antenna is amazing, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Do your research, take your time putting it up and enjoy taking your wife (or hubby) out to dinner with the extra money that's still in your pocket because you didn't waste it on a more expensive antenna that has worse performance.

I negotiated mine at my clubs swap and shop for $80, so if you can find one around and get it for somewhere around that price, you'll be happy you did!

KF7VXA Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2013 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Deal, Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had been told all the bad things about OPEK, but for the price, I had to try one.

This antenna has got more range than any other vertical antenna I have ever used and the SWR is always on the very low side.

I took it down to put it up on a 50' mast. We dropped it from about 40', it hit hard, bent the mounting tube and radials. I called OPEK to buy replacements, they would not take any money and the parts were at my door in less than a week.
In the mean time, I bought a Diamond 300X. It worked OK, but would not hit quite a few repeaters that were out some distance. I even put it up 12' higher and shortened the LMR 400 by 15' by re routing it, then hooked it up to a new Yaesu 2900 R with almost 80 watts and still could not hit the distant repeaters. True it has a little under 2 DBi less gain, but with it being higher and almost 30 more watts, I was surprised I could not hit the distant repeaters, the OPEK flat talks. The coax and antenna were checked with a MFJ analzier, both checked good, so there were no problems with anything.
I fixed the antenna and it worked great until several really hard rain storms and I saw the UHF SWR go up quite a bit.
I took it down and found out the top fiberglass piece had cracked and 2 of the Caps were kind of soft and melted from geting wet.
I called OPEK and again, my money was no good, they sent all three Caps although only 2 were bad. They did not have the top piece so I super glued it and wrapped it with the streatchy rubber tape that holds so well.
The internals were as good as any other brand. I used lock tite on all screws and taped the places where the antenna screws togather.

I'm happy to report that I'm back into all the distant repeaters and it works as good as new.

I have never had better service from any antenna company, most want money for things you break if they will even talk to you, the guys at OPEK were great. Getting parts for free in less than a week was really something.

Should anything ever happen to this antenna, I will buy another.
We do get 40 to 50 MPH winds. The antenna bends as do all the long one's, but no breakage.

For the money,it's the best deal going. You can buy 2 1/3 UV-300's for the price of one brand-X.

Don't believe the hype. Tighten things down good, a little lock tite and seal the joints and you will have one talkin antenna.

W0TDH Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2011 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased at Shelby, NC Hamfest 2/3 years ago.
Works very well on 2 Mtrs. Have not used on 440 as yet. Prefer to use high gain vertical than a beam for mountain topping around our area.
We are at 4000' Western NC. Can hit many repeaters, but prefer to work simplex. Monitor
146.52 most of the time.

KC9CUK Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2009 15:08 Send this review to a friend
update form 08  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is great, I love reading all of the bashing reviews of this antenna. I have owned all the different brands of the 17ft dual band base antennas diamond, comet, workman, opek and I helped assemble and put up a tram and jetstream version. I am using a comet gp9 on my shop right now and I don't like the plastic joints they use to hold the antenna together but with that said it is also a good performer I just donít like plastic. All of these antennas are fiberglass tubes with copper and coils inside no magic between manufactures like they would like you to believe. I have seen all of them leak water most of the time it is a hair line crack right by one of the joints check your antenna real close when you get it. I also tape about 1 inch before the joints and go over the joint and 1 inch past and go back up again so water canít get behind the tape. I have the opek/workman uvs-300 and they are the exact same antenna it has been up on the tower at 123ft for over a year before that is was at 83ft and I have had no issues with it at all via 2m or 70m. I have never had any water issues in any of the brands at all but I have always taped my joints. I have never had swr problems and two that I was told had swr problems on 70cm didnít the meters they were using showed high on 70cm the antenna analyzer showed they were fine (for all you meter watchers). I have seen a lot of people cross thread the joints you need two people and be careful if it is hard to turn stop and start over. I would also like to address the mounting hardware some of the antennas are the same some are slightly different but I have seen two of the manufactures change them around they all work and none of them are commercial grade so it doesnít matter. This is a great antenna for the money and is just as good as all the rest in my opinion but I also have worked with them all and I bet most canít say the same. You can check out a youtube video I made of one of the uvs-300 I put up just search my call sign.

KA8CEJ Rating: 3/5 Nov 7, 2007 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Cheap, But Expensive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Paid $75 for the antenna at the Findlay Ohio Hamfest. I too noticed the three very flimsy finger that surround the end of the coax where it was inserted into the antenna. As soon as I turned it on, I heard people on our repeater input that I had not heard before, so I thought it was a great antenna. It is--on two metrs, VSWR was 1. 2 at 147mhz. Switched to 449 and POOF went the finals in the rig, no TX or RX, dead short on 450 mhz. Have not taken it down yet to find the problem, but $75.00 for a two meter antenna plus a final power amp on the radio is kinda expensive. Could be my fault, or their fault, or nobodys fault---I just know I'm out the price and labor for
a PA final on my favorite rig. I'm putting the old Comet
G-6 back up, it is better than blowing finals in the rig.

VK5HPC Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2007 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the UVS-300 antenna mainly on price at the beginning. After removing it from the packet & examining it, it seemed to to be reasonably made. I noticed that some of the complaints about the 'o' rings in this forum seem to have been addressed as they seemed to be quite substantial. Never the less, I sealed the joints with neutral cure silicon sealant. I also locked the grub screws that hold the internal elements with the low strength Loctite. I thought that the mounting hardware was a little on flimsy side, although it worked perfectly & the supplied "U" bolts & nuts are stainless steel. I connected the antenna to my FT-897D with RG-213 CO-AX & did a VSWR check across the 2m & 70cm bands. I was pleasantly surprised to find the VSWR was no higher than 1.4 :1 at any point in either band & this was only at the extreme ends of each band. Subjective testing revealed that I could access my normal repeaters at about half the transmitter power as previously. My previous antenna was a Diamond VX-1000 tri-band (6m / 2m / 70cm). The Diamond's VSWR would never fall below 1.6 :1 at any point on 2m or 70cm. So on that note I have to say I'm very happy so far with the UVS-300.

KY2K Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2007 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Dual Band Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have gone from a dual band copper J-pole to a dual band Tram 1480 to the Opek UVS-300. Each upgrade provided a significant improvement. I purchased the UVS-300 antenna for $78.00 at the Palmetto Hamfest (Florida).

Going from the copper J-Pole to the Tram 1480 provided a two (2) S unit increase in my signal strength, as reported by various stations in my area. Another two S unit increase was reported when I replaced the Tram 1480 with the Opek UVS-300. Many of my friends asked me what I had done. It was that noticeable on transmit.

I also noticed a much improved receive. There was a two (2) S unit improvement on receive, as well. All three antennas were on a 30' push up pole. The elevation here in Clearwater, Florida is about 8' above sea level. The feed line is LMR-400.

I use the UVS-300 with my Icom IC-2200H on 2 meters and my Icom 706 MKIIG on 70 cm. I rarely need more than 3.5 watts to carry on a QSO. The SWR on 2 meters is as follows:

144.200 - 1.8:1
145.640 - 1.25:1
146.520 - 1.05:1
147.550 - 1.0:1

It is obviously higher at the lower end of the band. When it is raining, and the antenna and ground are wet, the SWR drops, however. Strange but true.

On 70 cm the SWR ranges from a low of 1.0:1 to a high of 1.8:1 maximum. I found the SWR varies low to high to low to high as you progress through the band. It is not the same pattern as it is on 2 meters.

I am very happy with this antenna. I have talked on simplex for 60 miles with 3.5 watts. I can hit repeaters over 125 miles away with 65 watts. On "Simplex Night" I can usually hear stations that others cannot. Considering that the antenna is not on a tower high in the air, it does very well. Factor in the price and this antenna is nothing short of a bargain.

The construction is not as robust as the Comet GP-9, but it is still very durable. It has experienced some wind and rain and is doing very well.

There is one area where you should pay attention if you purchase this antenna. The "pins" (or fingers) on the SO-239 connector are not surrounded by any type of insulating material to keep them stiff and prevent bending. They can bend very easily, if you are not careful. I actually broke two after puting up and taking down the antenna at least six times. In my haste, I bent the fingers and then two eventually broke off. The two remaining are more than adequate and make a good connection with the SO-259 connector seated properly. It is an area of concern that I wanted to mention. It was my error and is not a fault of the antenna.

I gave this antenna the highest rating because it is inexpensive (a real deal to me), provides excellent transmit and receive and seems to be quite durable. It is also easy to assemble. I don't see how you could possibly go wrong with this antenna. If you can put up an antenna that is 17' tall, buy this one. You will not be disappointed.

W4AMP Rating: 2/5 Feb 13, 2005 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Get what you pay for.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Gain figure highly inflated, replaced a Cushcraft AR270 with this antenna, very minute difference. Locknuts included with antenna did not fit holes to tighten copper elements inside antenna. So I had to solder inside elements together. Mounting hardware rusting two weeks after mounting. I would not buy another one.

EXPRO Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2004 18:04 Send this review to a friend
great value greater performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed this antenna during a wind storm last winter, the temp factoring wind chill was minus 15F, at first I wasn't sure about the antenna as it tends to sway around in the wind but so far it has survived several very high gusty wind days here in Michigan. VSWR on both 146/446 is excellant and this antenna outperforms several of the other brands I have used including the GP15. Recently my UHF business radio system antenna crapped out and I used this antenna until I could install a replacement. Again performance was neck and neck with the $600 Motorola fiberglass vertical it was replacing. Buy one for the price you can't go wrong

WB8RKQ Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2004 19:29 Send this review to a friend
super ant  Time owned: more than 12 months
this is my far the best dual band base any ever built for the 89 doller class nothing will come close to this ant. i had a diamond 500 witch cost around 300 bucks i think it was and this ant works just as good or beter i can work repeaters up to 100 miles easy and my ant is only 25 ft up im using a 706mk2g i tell every budy i talk to about this ant. buy one you cant go wrong for 89 bucks it has 8.3db gain on 2 meters and 11.7 on 440 200 watts swr below 1.5 had mine up for 1 yr still going strong.