Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | OPEK UVS-300 Dual Band Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for OPEK UVS-300 Dual Band Vertical
OPEK UVS-300 Dual Band Vertical Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$ 89.00
Description: Dual Band Base Station Antenna 204 inch (17 foot) 8.3 DB (2 meters) and 11.7DB gain (70 CM) 3 elements collinear on 2 meters and 8 element collinear on 70 cm
More info: http://www.opek.com.tw/cd/owa/siw_main.display_map?pi_org_id=8800263967

You can write your own review of the OPEK UVS-300 Dual Band Vertical.

KC8TRL Rating: 1/5 Apr 16, 2004 12:39 Send this review to a friend
OK At First  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one of the UVS-300 antenna last summer and it worked great I was able to get into repeters 70+ miles away and able to talk simplex for quite a distance then 6 months later when we had a 60 MPH windstorm the antenna broke off at the base so I would not recommend getting this antenna unless you want to buy another one 6 months later bad construction won't last very long.

I am now using my homebrew 2m J-pole until I get my Workman BS150 2m Base Antenna that I bought later.

N8JFX Rating: 1/5 Mar 21, 2004 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Fiberglass Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Poorly constructed and is not durable false claims to db gain
Had mine for less than 3 years and it broke at base in 20 mph winds.
I have just bought a Crushcraft 270 and it out performs hands down!!
Spend an extra $20 bucks and get a Crushcraft. Don’t waste your time on this fiberglass junk antenna!!

W1CAR Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2003 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Buy this antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Investment? Who cares. This antenna is the epitome of low price performance! Who needs Diamond and Comet.. Opek is amazing. I can hit repeaters 50 miles from here and get perfect signal reports using 5 watts on an HT. I own the UVS-200, and it is fabulous, but this UVS-300 is near-perfect for a high-gain VHF/UHF vertical.

During high wind, I've noticed that mine shows fluctuating signal loss on the s-meter.. but I still have had no problem getting in to any repeater in any weather conditions. Even survived Hurricane Isabel while I ran Skywarn Net Control on it.

I will buy another soon. Bet on it.

K6QGK Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2003 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice – Good investment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very Nice – Good investment

I installed the OPEK UVS-300 Dual Band Vertical in my front yard on two 2” poles – 10’ each, one hammered 3’ into the ground and the other with the antenna mounted on the top and the two poles connected together at the top of the bottom pole, (see all the photos and story at (www.flyxwire.com) the antenna is 17’ 9” in length is the same as the Diamond X510 with the same stats, for about $100.00 less. Ever since I installed the antenna I have been able to get into repeaters I could only read about now when ever I talk with the local guys up here in the Antelope Valley, (California) I get nothing but good reports, using a ICOM 2720 with an ALINCO DM-330MV to power the whole thing it works great! Even when I connect my ICOM T7H hand-held to the antenna and run it at 5 or 6 watts is sounds great and works perfect. I went to the local Ham Radio Outlet and looked at the Diamond 510 and pound for pound it is basically the same thing . . . and a $100.00 or so less. I have had it up for some time now and the performance is super, I even connected my old Uniden CB with sideband once to it and it worked better than any antenna I have ever used. For an antenna built in Taiwan it is well made and would be a fine investment for someone that wanted performance without spending a fortune! As for the tuning of the antenna right out of the package it were almost perfect, minor adjustments on the coil right above the SO-239 and “Presto” great SWR! Could not ask for better – I would recommend this antenna to anyone looking for a well priced base-station antenna –

KG6QGK
Palmdale, California

KC4IVG Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2003 22:31 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Owned over 6 months now and no complaints. Has withstood heavy ice loading and 80 mph winds. SWR still great over the entire 2 meter and 440 bands.

KD5VHF Rating: 1/5 May 20, 2003 12:39 Send this review to a friend
OK for 2 meter,POOR for 70cm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works well for 2 meter band with SWR's 1.4 at both ends and 1.1 center. 70cm is another story. SWR of 1.5 at 443.5-444.5 & 448.5-449.5. SWR jumps & varies from 2.1-3.5 from 440-443(highest at 441.5) and again between 446-448(highest at 446.5-447.5)If you only operate on 2 meters or can live with 2 meter plus only operating in the 2 narrow freq. ranges on 70cm it works well. I'll live with it for now but it's soon to become a omni RX only antenna. :-(