Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Am-Com Flat Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for Am-Com Flat Speaker
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $$29.95
Description: 11" x 14" x 2" flat, wall mounted speaker
More info: http://www.amcominc.com/Products.cfm?Man_ID=55

You can write your own review of the Am-Com Flat Speaker.

N5REL Rating: 0/5 May 21, 2003 17:13 Send this review to a friend
No longer available?  Time owned: months
I guess all good things must come to an end.

Last week I placed an order for (2) of the flat speakers. The next day I was contacted that they were backordered. Then I got the following response a few days later from Am-Com: "Unfortunately, we are not going to be able to fulfill your order for the Am-Com Flat Speaker due to unexpected circumstances..."

I guess they are no longer available.

N5REL

WB6MYL Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2003 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Very impressive!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am hesitant to write this review before I order another one of these little marvels, as I do not want them to sell out. This thing is only two (2") inches thick and reminds me of a "mini" ESL-63 electrostatic panel; it is designed to hang on the wall and the wall mounting template that comes with the speaker is a nice touch; the little "instruction book" (another nice touch)talks about the advantage of the wide dispersion pattern of sound and this is accurate; very nice and at $30 a steal especially considering this is one-eighth (1/8) the cost of an Icom SP-20 and sounds substantially better than the $250 cone speaker in a metal baffle (see my review of the SP-20). This little gem makes my R-9000 rcvr and old boat anchors come to life. Thanx for reading and the bandwidth. Phillip W. Harris, PhD.P.C.

K2WO Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2003 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Audio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This speaker is really unique and an absolute steal at the price that they are currently selling it for($29.95). It hangs on the wall(!) which is a very nice feature and gets it off the desk, thereby leaving room for other gear.

The sound is excellent and sounds good on all modes that I have tried it on(CW,FM,SSB and AM). This is not some cheap speaker, but a high-quality piece of audio equipment that would make a nice addition to any ham shack. They even provide the nails and template necessary to hang it on the wall.

If you get one, you won't be disappointed, especially at the price they are selling them for.

W6HB Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2003 22:49 Send this review to a friend
Small space - great sound  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this unit along with a Clear Speech II speaker for my home station. Compared to conventional communications speakers that tend to be a little tiny and accent the white noise and hiss, this is has a throaty response and is much less grating on the nerves. I have a switch where I can transfer between this unit and up to 9 other speakers. My source is a FT-1000MP with and without the Clear Speech in the circuit. I find that I am using this Gekko unit most of the time. When I am in the mood to SWL instead of DXing, it adds a lot of pleasure to music or general speech. Gekko is a company of the NCT (Noise Control Technologies) group. NCT is the manufacturer of the Clear Speech units also. Use your search engine to drill down for a lot more info on the Gekko and NCT products and technical accomplishments. I recommend it for a good improvement to most base station installations and would buy another it the need arose.