Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | SGC antenna tuner Help

Reviews Summary for SGC antenna tuner
SGC antenna tuner Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $491 (ham discount stores)
Description: SG-230 Smartuner
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com/products/230/sg230.html

You can write your own review of the SGC antenna tuner.

KB1HYR Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2002 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Gut stoff  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nothing works magic. In other words, no matter what you put at the end of your 9' of wire or your 40' loop, it is still a 9' wire or 40' loop.

What the SGC autocoupler accomplishes is maximum power transfer between your coax and that antenna. It performs that job admirably.

I used it to set up an internal horizontal loop in my bedroom (my wife is tolerant.) I got 86' of wire, and wrapped it twice arount the top of my second room bedroom walls, and connected the two ends to the SGC. I then fired up the old IC718 to see what I got.

What I got was excellent matches and efficiency on 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 meters; with an excellent match but lower efficiency on 30 and 40. (Remember, low VSWR doesn't tell you how your antenna is radiating! I used a homemade meter to measure the signal strength.)

I am overall very favorably impressed with this product!

Anonymous Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 1999 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Instant QSY - all HF bands  Time owned: unknown months
The convenience of having instant QSY ability on all HF bands more than makes up for the steep initial investment. AES has them listed for $490, I got mine (new - on sale) for $400 through Surplus Sales of NE.
In the year and half my SG-230 has been in use, it has "learned" just about every frequency I ever operate - it has 500 memory locations.
I have mine mounted in the corner of a 150 foot vertical loop of wire - the wire goes up and over two 27 foot poles spaced 40 feet apart and back across the top of a wooden fence. 90% of the time, the loop performs better than my 80/40 meter dipole. 160 meter operation has been marginal, but I suspect that is a function of the antenna arrangement. Initially I had some RF getting back into the control circuit, but that was easily resolved with beads and bypass caps.

Anonymous Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 1999 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent at the center of an attic dipole.  Time owned: unknown months
I put the SGC 230 at the center of a 60-foot attic dipole. It's in a 30-foot attic, with
15 feet of the dipole at right angles at each end. Works great, despite lots of metal work (ducts
and furnace) in the attic. MUCH better than dipoles tuned to each band. Now I can work all bands without switching antennas.

K1ZF Rating: 3/5 Dec 2, 1999 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: unknown months
If you use this in combination with a marine SSB antenna, as it was meant to be matched with, it's super. Not moble by any means, it works very well on the back of my motorhome when parked in campgrounds. Takes about 5 minutes to set up; the antenna is in two parts and about 20 feet long.
Any marine supply store stocks both, and the tuner is about $100 less than ham stores. Bottem line: the combination works, 3 thru 30, as it was designed to. Enjoy!

LA1SJA Rating: 3/5 Dec 2, 1999 13:11 Send this review to a friend
The SGC tuner is great. 9 feet whip is a little to  Time owned: unknown months
I tried this combination on the roof of my Peugot 405 station waggon some years ago.
The SGC tuner performed as good as, or maybe better than any competitor.
Still the result was rather diappointing. The tuner is not to be blamed, the length of the whip is.
80m was just for local contacts. 40m gave tuning problems because of the electrical length of the car as a counterpoise.
Everything improves from 12 feet of whip and upwards, but the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) goes towards zero in an exponential way as length is increased, - and you start hitting bridges and trees.

All my experiments indicate that the best short antennas are those where the antenna structure itself is brought into resonance by some trick or other.

Its said that Bumble Bees can not fly.
By analogy, among the short mobile antennas that cannot work on 80 and 40 meters on the roof of a car, the Terlin Outbacker Perth Plus seems to have the best combination of performance and WAF. On air performance is definatly better. Contacts within southern Norway on 80m with 100W. Central Europe on 40 and DX on 20 and up on the best days. You have to stop the car and go outside to change band, but its worth it.

If you are prepared to drive around with thick wips with large, Hi-Q coils in the middle and 14 inches of capasitive hat on top, that's probably the best. WAF would be prohibitive in most cases.

With longer wires the SGC is excellent. My favourite overnight antenna with the SGC on the car roof was 40 meters of thin insulated wire as an end-fed inverted V using a tree as support. (Slingshot.) Car and two 40m wires on the ground as counterpoise. Almost invisible, and a better than the backyard dipole at home.