Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Magnetic Classic Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Magnetic Classic
Begali Magnetic Classic Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $248.00 + 9.50 shipping
Description: Gold plated magnetic iambic paddle using micro-threaded adjustments and precision bearings.
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Magnetic Classic.

KE8ABN Rating: 3/5 Oct 29, 2016 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Just Ok....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Here we go. Ordered the mag classic in palladium. Received it within a week. It shipped from TX. I cannot say I like the appearance of the key. I realize that the website states parts can be replaced and this may slightly change the appearance of the key but the red plastic parts on the key more than slightly change the appearance for me. I did not notice the plastic parts on the paddle on the website as it was black and not noticeable. The plastic really takes away from the quality look of the paddle. Especially the red color. You may disagree but this is how I feel.
There was a dull spot on the finish of the key and I was directed to get gun mineral oil and use that but it did not work. As it ends up the paddle was sticking and I was told to ship it back to TX and they would ship me one from Italy to be sure it was perfect. In the mean time I received the aluminum finger pieces you can choose and it was the wrong color. They did send the correct ones with the new paddle but the new paddle was not adjusted at all. The black finger pieces don't really look as good with the silver screws used with the original red plastic finger pieces as well. Even the new paddle has some slight machining imperfections.
From a functional standpoint they work well but can be a bit noisy compared to paddles with a spring mechanism. I also like a close spacing and had to adjust a couple of times as it was sticking closed after some use.
In summary if the appearance of the paddle is important to you this may not be the model for you. I liked what was shown on the website but this is not what I received. I also wasted money on the gun oil and return shipping. Was expecting better based on the feedback on this company. I think the cheaper or more expensive models would be a better choice. Bruna was definitely very polite and responsive.

W6GEE Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2016 22:25 Send this review to a friend
State of the art design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought the palladium finish version used. The construction is rock solid. Balance and action of paddles are exceptional! The weight of the base is unmovable which helps with a smoother light touch. I love this key's ability to set finer adjustments and keep them once set, as many other reviewers have mentioned. Well worth the money to have a solid reliable key without sliding all over the table.

M5ABN Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2015 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Superb engineering  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my Begali Mag Classic. As a retired engineer l can appreciate the superb quality of workmanship. Compared to my Bencher BY2 the Begali is light and positive and a pleasure to use. It may even improve my cw sending. I was fortunate to win my new key in the EUCW Snakes & Ladders Activity. So thanks to all the operators who took part and to the Fists CW Club here in the UK.

LB2TB Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2014 05:21 Send this review to a friend
The best paddle I've ever had!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used this paddle with my last 3500 QSO's and it really is the best I've ever had.

Adjustments stay as you want it for ever. Cannot remember the last time I had to adjust it.

The heavy weight of the keyer keeps it in one spot on your desk. No more moving around...

I normally work my QSO's around 28-32 wpm.

Looks nice and is well worth the investment!

73's from LB2TB
Norway

N1DZ Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2011 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Nice Key not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice looking key. Not at the same level as a Schurr in finishing quality or functionality. It looks more like a mass produced key. Not worth the high price tag. Also the magnetic tension is hard to dial in. I prefer my Schurr portable wabbler. It looks and works better for me.

K8TJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 28, 2010 16:20 Send this review to a friend
OK but far from the BEST  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these paddles recently. The machining quality is that of mass production with a LOT of rough edges, literally. I do not like the idea of using springs on the contact spacing adjusters but they do seem to hold their adjustment. The paddle has a VERY nice feel to it and I'm a bit surprised but I suspect it's because of the bearing pivots. Operationally I give this paddle a solid 5 but machining quality is no where even close to a Schurr Profi 2 or a March R-3A

KA2DDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2009 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Thank You Santa  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Santa came early this year and left a Begali Magnetic Classic in my shack. WOW! I cannot add any more to what has already been said. It's beautiful, operates wonderfully.....nice and smooth. It came with the optional aluminum finger pieces (red) and is a focus of pride in my shack. I love using it. I was not unhappy with my Kent TP-1, but really appreciate being able to step up in the world. Thanks to the Begali family for helping Santa get this to my QTH.

Regards To All,

Larry - KA2DDX

N0AH Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2009 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Great for beginners  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My daughter Anna, W0ANT, is learning code and she is doing very well with this keyer. I have used it and found it to be easy to adjust for my speed. It has a nice weight and center of gravity. For the price, the quality is fb-

M3ZVI Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2009 09:42 Send this review to a friend
GREAT KEY!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I ordered my key, the sevice was friendly and fantastic. I could even have a special engraving on my key (no extra cost than the normal engraving charge).

The key came well packed with spare finger pads (alloy and plastic) along with the ajustment tool, a free pen and a few QSL cards (in under 2 weeks).

If you are after a key that looks great, feels good to operate, will last for ages and will bring a smile to your face every time you use it then this is the key to get!

Frank - M3ZVI.

K0EX Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2009 06:20 Send this review to a friend
primo !!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
just rcvd mine. incredible craftsmanship and attention to detail, second to none! very thoughtful perks included -- extra screws for the paddle's finger-pieces, a special "Begali" dust-cloth, a 0.003" feeler gauge for setting tight contact gap, and everything in nice plastic bags. the list of things "done right" could go on and on: packed very well; registered tracking, requiring my signature for delivery; etc.

top-notch salesmanship and general kindness from Bruna, his daughter.

for the paddle itself, operation is smooth. the base is heavy. the bearing-block is substantial. "massive" comes to mind while admiring it as it sits adjacent to another of my paddles. very tight-pitched threading on the adjustment screws makes setting it to personal preferences easy and repeatable.

i probably will find a reason to buy another one of his works of mechanical art before long!!

a genuine round of applause for Piero, Bruna, and the Begali team from Cellatica.