Reviews Categories | Ham Work Bench Tools & Test Equipment | Hakko 808 Desoldering Station Help

Reviews Summary for Hakko 808 Desoldering Station
Hakko 808 Desoldering Station Reviews: 12 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $175.52 from tequipment.net
Description: High-end desoldering tool for any serious builder
More info: http://www.tequipment.net/Hakko808.html

You can write your own review of the Hakko 808 Desoldering Station.

N6GND Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2013 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Amusing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Yes, desoldering can be easy and, actually, quite amusing.

K6HOM Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2012 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Wow, Wished That I Bought One Sooner!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Repairing and building electronic gadgets has been a hobby for 40+ years. Used many different types of vacuum devices as well as old-fashioned copper braid for countless de-soldering needs. Heard about the Hakko 808 through eHam.net reviews, received a generous eBay gift card for a birthday present and decided to buy one of these gems.

The first project that I tried it on was my K1EL K42 CW keyboard upgrade, which replaces the original LCD with a back-lit unit. Significant de-soldering is required to remove old pins from the PCB and to clean up these solder pads/holes for installing the new display pins. First time use and without any prior practice, I was done with this de-soldering job in less than 3 minutes for 16 pads! And all of the pads looked like new with their perfectly clean holes! The Old Fashioned Way would have taken many times longer with the probability of some pad destruction (and I am pretty good at de-soldering).

Someone mentioned the need for a stand or holder for this unit when in repetitive use. I have pegboard as a backsplash on my workbench and found that bending a couple of 6" long pegboard hook/supports made a great horizontal holder. I just put the Hakko on this holder during periods of repetitive use and work without worry.

The Hakko is a terrific invention and, to me, worth its price. If you do regular de-soldering, Highly Recommended!

W1RIK Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2012 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wish I could give this a 4.5 but I don't want to mess up the great ratings. This unit works very well, better than anything I've used to this point. I use this mostly on point to point wiring and it cleans off the terminals completely. It's easy to clean and warms up quickly.
I do have two gripes though. I wish it had a power indicator so I know when it's on, AND THE POWER CORD IS A PAIN IN THE NECK. IT'S VERY STIFF AND ALWAYS IN THE WAY!

KB9R Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2010 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Hakko 808  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Why did I struggle for so long? This is a great desoldering tool. It is such a pleasure to use. It works better than any other desoldering tool I have owned for personal use. As others have said, make sure you clean it after you are done and it will treat you well. The only negative that I can see is that there is no light to indicate that it is on, and so don't forget it and walk away. I connect it to my lit power strip on the bench that gets shut off when I finish working there, so that is my safeguard. If I had to do it over again, I would purchase another in a heart beat! Joe - KB9R

WM9V Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2009 06:52 Send this review to a friend
product of the decade  Time owned: more than 12 months
i own three of these and when i tell you ive been there and done that with soldering equipment i mean it ...throw out everything else you own now and buy anything hako
it lasts... you can get parts for it.. and it is quality made
i wish they had been around 20 years ago
if i had the time i put instructional videos on u tube demonstrating the superior product this is and how much of everyone elses product ive thrown out
the gun itself will need cleaning in the valves so make sure you keep the tip clean
get larger nozzles for larger lead diameters
get extra kits with filters in them and replace regularly
a phillips screwdriver will facilitate disassembling the valve assembly and be nice to the valve ...its kinda like the gasket assembly on these newer briggs carbs
this is a deal for 150 bucks and will pay for itself many times over

K2YO Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2008 22:42 Send this review to a friend
Great tool, don't desolder without one.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm just piling on at this point. I got mine on the recommondation of the guys at M3 Electronics. I got it from the soldering station vendor out in the flea market at Dayton. I recently had to replace a pc board mounted N connector. It was both electrically connected and had physical connections to releave stress. Zip, zip, zip and the thing fell off the board.

If your frustrated with hand pump desolder tools or brade, it's time to upgrade to a desoldering tool and I recommend the Hakko 808 as an easy way to get desoldering without breaking the bank. A quick price check shows them at $175 plus shipping on 6/10/08.

KE7ISJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2007 20:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought this desolder gun and I am impressed with it's performance. I desoldered a 15 pin connector in about one minute the first time I used it. No burning or damage to the board. It is light so weight is not a factor. I have used a Weller/Ungar 4624 system for many years and I believe this out performs that unit hands down! I would highly recommend this unit.

WA4SCA Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2007 13:00 Send this review to a friend
When you need it, you need it bad!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one of these on the recommendation of another ham. It seemed to be a luxury, until I found myself repairing a power switch in a tranceiver. After a tedious hour working my way into the rig, I was confronted with the existing switch which required 6 fine leads to be removed from the PC board. About 30 seconds with the Hakko, and the old switch fell out as if it had never been soldered in place! Removing another way was probably possible, but would have risked damage at several points.

AK2B Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2006 10:38 Send this review to a friend
This thing really sucks!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
But then, thatís what itís supposed to do.

Admittedly, this is a luxury item for a lot of hams. If you build a lot of equipment, however, you might have a different opinion. This is a great item to have around. Iíve used a lot of ďprofessionalĒ solder suckers at work costing in the $400 to $600price range that donít do as well as the Hakko 808. Of course these solder suckers are used day in and day out and I canít say the 808 would hold up under the same stress Ė I canít say it wouldnít either Ė I just never tried it. I can say they the suction is better, though. The 808 heats up almost instantly ready to go to work. The tip seems to be very durable and the unit is very easy to clean. All solder suckers need to be frequently cleaned and this one is no exception. It does a remarkable job of removing solder from a joint and makes short work of tinning the leads of toroids. Itís kind of like one of those things that you wonder how you ever did without it.

Tom, AK2B

K9FTB Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2003 22:16 Send this review to a friend
Expensive but Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my 808 for about 8 mos. now. I purchased it soley on the comments from the Elecraft K2 email reflector. Boy was it worth it! I had soldered a 20 pin connector on the wrong side of the board while building my K2. I can't imagine how I would have safely removed the connector without damaging the board. With the 808, it was a cinch - 20 minutes and I was rolling again without any board damage or damage to the connector.

The 808 is basically a soldering iron with built in vacuum pump that operates on demand (trigger pull). It's also ESD safe, another plus when I was building the K2.

This device is much more impressive than a "passive" solder sucker and provides much more professional results. The resulting hole is clear, clean, and ready to be used again. The removed component has very little effect resulting from the removal other than it was previously soldered. There are various sizes of tips (0.8mm, 1.0mm, 1.3mm) available. See the Hakko website for all the various tips available.

I had a warranty issue with my unit (the temp controller) and the unit overheated. I submitted the unit to Hakko USA (www.hakkousa.com) for warranty repair via overnight express. One day turnaround and Airborne expressed back to me, with a new tip!

www.outpost.com and www.tequipment.net both have the tips and cleaning / maint. tools to correctly maintain this tool. Also checkout www.elecraft.com for the access to their email reflector - search the archives for 808 or Hakko 808 and you'll find loads of comments, practical advice, and experiences other's have had.

I'd buy this tool again. It's a once in a lifetime purchase, but it's not cheap ($159 at Fry's Electronics). No I'm not associated with Hakko - just very pleased with my Hakko 808 and Hakko 936 soldering station.