Reviews Categories | Tools & Test Equipment for the amateur radio work bench | Hakko 808 Desoldering Station Help

Reviews Summary for Hakko 808 Desoldering Station
Hakko 808 Desoldering Station Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $175.52 from tequipment.net
Description: High-end desoldering tool for any serious builder
More info: http://www.tequipment.net/Hakko808.html

You can write your own review of the Hakko 808 Desoldering Station.

K9FTB Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2003 22:16 Send this review to a friend
Expensive but Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my 808 for about 8 mos. now. I purchased it soley on the comments from the Elecraft K2 email reflector. Boy was it worth it! I had soldered a 20 pin connector on the wrong side of the board while building my K2. I can't imagine how I would have safely removed the connector without damaging the board. With the 808, it was a cinch - 20 minutes and I was rolling again without any board damage or damage to the connector.

The 808 is basically a soldering iron with built in vacuum pump that operates on demand (trigger pull). It's also ESD safe, another plus when I was building the K2.

This device is much more impressive than a "passive" solder sucker and provides much more professional results. The resulting hole is clear, clean, and ready to be used again. The removed component has very little effect resulting from the removal other than it was previously soldered. There are various sizes of tips (0.8mm, 1.0mm, 1.3mm) available. See the Hakko website for all the various tips available.

I had a warranty issue with my unit (the temp controller) and the unit overheated. I submitted the unit to Hakko USA (www.hakkousa.com) for warranty repair via overnight express. One day turnaround and Airborne expressed back to me, with a new tip!

www.outpost.com and www.tequipment.net both have the tips and cleaning / maint. tools to correctly maintain this tool. Also checkout www.elecraft.com for the access to their email reflector - search the archives for 808 or Hakko 808 and you'll find loads of comments, practical advice, and experiences other's have had.

I'd buy this tool again. It's a once in a lifetime purchase, but it's not cheap ($159 at Fry's Electronics). No I'm not associated with Hakko - just very pleased with my Hakko 808 and Hakko 936 soldering station.

KC1MK Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2003 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Only way to desolder!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Hakko 808 desoldering station about a year and a half ago, and I wouldn't want to do without it now. I don't do an extensive amount of desoldering, but this works so well that it was more than worth the money. In addition to doing the job well, it is easy to clean and well made.

WA4FOM Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2003 23:02 Send this review to a friend
It can suck the fillings out of your teeth  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This tool, albeit quite expensive, has to be the
final word in desoldering tools. This rather
menacing weapon has to be the love child of a
soldering iron and a Hoover vacuum cleaner.
With one hand-held tool you can heat a solder
joint and slurp the solder out of that joint
until it is as clean as it was before the
component was originally installed. You DO
have to be careful; as I have discovered (and
as the manual points out), you can suck the
solder pads right off a PCB if you don't
exercise common sense. If you do ANY serious
rework (or just have little patience for those
wimpy little solder suckers as do I), buy it.
Your renewals for ulcer medications and the
bill at the liquor store might very well decrease.