Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ICOM IC-W32A Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-W32A
ICOM IC-W32A Reviews: 121 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $260.00
Description: 2 Meter/440 MHz Dual Bander Handheld
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/dualhand/#IC-W32A

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-W32A.

N1OIE Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2016 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Loved it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Kicking myself for selling this HT. Was my first radio in mid 90s, and I loved it. I then decided I was done with Ham (bored on VHF) so I sold it ... I saw no need to keep a bunch of electronic stuff around. Now that I'm back into ham, I really wish I had this radio. Got a Yaseu FT-250r as my replacement, and while I like that radio , it can stand up to the ole W32A. she really was a kick butt first HT.

WB0KWJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2016 05:30 Send this review to a friend
Dual band full duplex useful  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The now-discontinued Icom W32A is a good, but not great VHF/UHF handheld transceiver. It is found at hamfests and on eBay priced between about $70 and $150. Its defining feature is probably its two separate radio systems, permitting (almost) full duplex operation (as long the radios are on different bands). This feature makes it useful to satellite operators, although a limited frequency range on UHF makes a modification necessary for some satellites. Separate tuning knobs and volume controls makes tuning the separate radios easy.

Early models could be frequency-extended via an undocumented key combination on start-up. Later models require a hardware modification involving the removal of circuit-board-mounted SMT diodes. Another undocumented feature is cross-band repeat, also accessed with a key combination. This feature is mostly likely undocumented because the W32A is not rated for the full duty-cycle operation a repeater would entail. Perhaps equally important, the W32A does not provide for repeater ID, making it illegal for two-way crossband repeat use in the United States (and anywhere else that requires the transmitter to identify itself). Given everything W32A has in it already, providing a CW id capability would not have been too much to add, at least for those who might use it as a repeater on a light-duty basis.

Audio is good on both transmit and receive. The built-in speaker can be made quite loud, but do not expect Kenwood quality output. Programming via computer is possible via a variety of programs. The metal-cased unit is heavy compared to plastic-case HTs. The rubber keys on the full-DTMF keyboard are extended beyond the case, creating a potential rub-off issue. The standard battery cases are NiCad or NiMH, meaning just hours or less of typical operation. Higher capacity batteries are now available to extend use time, as is a AA case. The battery case is easily changed. The supplied antenna is good quality, but short, limiting range. Some users report receiver overload issues. The supplied steel belt clip will bend. The display is small, busy, and low contrast. Programming the radio using the keypad is, sadly, like programming most other amateur radio equipment: complex and non-inuitive.

In all, this is a good radio, especially for specialized uses such as with satellites. If full duplex is not needed, however, many other newer ones are equal or better, at lower cost.

N0XMZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2016 20:22 Send this review to a friend
I can't believe Icom discontinued it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this radio last week and in my 20+ years of being a ham, this is the best HT I've owned. My only regret is not buying it a long time ago. I scored this one on eBay for $72 and it was in pristine condition. I'm going to buy at least another as a backup since Icom isn't making them anymore.

It's operation is very similar to the T7H, which I've used for the past 10+ years, so this radio was easy to learn how to use.

KC4YLV Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2016 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a great, feature-filled HT. Picked mine up about a year ago and have been using it at least weekly. Rebuilt the dead stock pack with 4 NIMH cells and bought a Nicad pack alongside. Always have juice.

Great transmit and receive quality. I will note that it won't go below 440 MHz TX without a mod, so if you want to use it for satellites (which its particularly well suited for), you gotta hack it. Not taking a point off though.

Pro tip: CHIRP will program this! Connect a standard TTL serial or Icom CI-V line to the ring of the 1/8" speaker jack, and program away. SUPER nice for setting all the alpha tags!

I'll never sell it and i'll probably buy the next good one I see at a hamfest for a backup.

NA5XX Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2015 18:06 Send this review to a friend
The best in my book  Time owned: more than 12 months
How good are these radios. Excellent. I just returned from a swap meet. While there, I bought my 3rd one. My son also has one, so that is a total of 4 in the family. In my opinion, these were the best true dual band HT made. I was sorry to see them discontinued. If you find one get it. Well priced if you find it $150 or less.

KD7DDG Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2015 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Finally died...after 17 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio new in 1998. It's now 2015...and it finally stopped working (receives fine, won't Xmit at all, even using the DC wall wart).

Loved the ease of use with this, the dual VFO. It's sad nobody seems to be making a radio of this caliber and feature set.

WD3T Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned one , then bought another one wide receive coverage , good cross band repeat excellent all-around HT

KD3NE Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2013 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Long Living Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this since the day I bought it brand new, so long ago I forget actually how far back it was. Definitely over 10 years.

I have been looking for new updated HT but cannot find one that fits me like the W32A does.

Mathematically speaking this HT cost me about $20 +/- a year to own to date.

I have had Yaesu HT's ( VX-7R ) and the did not last as long as the W32.

We are on our third VX-7R in the same time we have owned the W32A.

KD5ZEN Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2013 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Solid handheld transceiver   Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this transceiver for over 10 years and it still operates just as it did brand new!

BASSMAN12350 Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2013 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Purchase for a Used Dual Bander  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased this transceiver used via e-Bay for $250.00. This included a desktop charger and brand new, in the box HM-75A remote microphone, and the radio was in 9/10 condition. I have been the proud owner of an IC-W31A for nearly 20 years and have loved the durability of that radio, as well as its features, ease of operation, and full cross-band operational capabilities. The only negatives I can say about the W-31A are its relatively weak audio output (200 mw at 8 ohms and 10% THD into a 1" diam. speaker) and the fact that it only has 100 memories total (43 for each band plus call channels, and scan edge memories). The W-32A takes care of these issues with a better speaker (still 200 mw audio output though) and 100 memories for each band plus the call channels and scan edges. It also receives the weather channels and aircraft "com" band. The build quality is as that of the W-31A, but when they superseded the W-31A with the W-32A, Icom completely redesigned the keypad and the radio's programming/instruction set. As a result, prior W-31A owners are behind the learning curve with this radio. That being said, if one wants a truly feature-laden, cross-band capable dual band radio which does everything it is supposed to do well, and they don't need APRS, Packet, DSP, or GPS capabilities, this radio is worth considering. Accessories, other than replacement batteries for it are pretty much non-existent, so look for one in good condition which includes the desired accessories. Icom is still supporting this transceiver at this writing, but probably will not for much longer.