Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | HAM KEY HK5A Help

Reviews Summary for HAM KEY HK5A
HAM KEY HK5A Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Solid state electronic keyer

You can write your own review of the HAM KEY HK5A.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2015 07:55 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
GREAT KEYER

VE6TL Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2009 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Very Versatile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for over 25 years, including sitting in a box in storage for at least 10 years. Even after 10 years the batteries still worked when I got back into the hobby. The main features I like about this keyer is that I can use it with older rigs that are cathode or grid block keyed, as well as modern rigs (2 separate jacks). For some reason, I have trouble with many modern rigs using their built-in keyer as I seem to end up with extra dots here and there. This never happens on the HK5A. The only thing I don't like is that the tune setting involves a rotary switch, which usually requires two hands to move (holding the box down with one hand). So I installed a little push button switch on the top right of the case that allows me to tune the transmitter while depressing it.

N3WXW Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2008 20:20 Send this review to a friend
I bought it used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello I bought mine used at a ham fest for $10.00. I like it much more than my MFJ Keyer.

K8ND Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2004 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Good basic keyer, with sidetone!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this keyer as a backup almost 30 years ago, and it continues to sit on the shelf ready for action! It made a few DX trips, travelled to several different contest stations, and mostly just sat ready to use. This is a very basic keyer, with none of the bells-and-whistles of the current crop of computerized keyers. I still use it on occasion when testing and adjusting new paddles. Today, I'd choose an Idiom Press CMOS-4 keyer for it's far superior features and smaller size, but in it's day, the HK-5A was a fine basic keyer!

K7NA Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2004 01:41 Send this review to a friend
Fine Basic Electronic Keyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this keyer for over 20 years and am presently using it with a new Icom 706mkIIg because, unlike the rig, the HK5 offer Type A (no dot insertion) keying. Not being an iambic squeeze key enthusiast, I prefer the traditional electronic keying method and this unit provides it. I've never experienced a problem with RFI or other issues with this keyer. The batteries last for years and I've often forgotten for days or weeks to turn off the unit when I'm not using it. I'd prefer the ability to attach an external power source but that is not available as a consideration on the HK5. This is a good basic electronic keyer for those who prefer Type A keying.

KX2S Rating: 3/5 Jan 14, 2003 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Vintage keyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the HK5A for 25 years. Only had to replace the C cell batteries every 5 years. Works pretty well. I have had problems with RF getting into it and causing it to key by its self. The problem seems to be that the case is plastic. There would be better RFI profing it the case was metal. Basic unit with no memory.