Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Cushcraft R-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft R-7000
Cushcraft R-7000 Reviews: 79 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $389.95
Description: 40-10M 1/2 wave vertical. 80M add-on kit available.
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft R-7000.

WA8IUR Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2013 13:45 Send this review to a friend
recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned mine for 16yrs, purchased new.Have used it at four different QTHS,LONG STORY.
Anyway, it has served me well everywhere.S. America,Europe,Africa,Asia. Have use don cw and ssb.
Don't get me wrong, as soon as things come around I want a tribander.The r7000 will do till then.

K8YC Rating: 1/5 Nov 12, 2012 19:37 Send this review to a friend
R-7000 traps need help  Time owned: more than 12 months
The R-7000 is a good antenna as far as verticals go, but it needs some help. Owned one since 1998 and have about 323 countries worked using it, BUT the traps DO have a problem. If you have "fluttering" SWR, it is probably being caused by wind induced vibrations in the internals of one or more traps. The trap design is pretty unique with two traps in each "can". The capacitors are formed by the outer shell of the can and a coaxial piece of tubing pop-riveted to the structural tubing on each end of the trap. THE POP RIVETS WERE POORLY PULLED UP ON SEVERAL TRAPS I TOOK APART! A thin film of aluminum oxide apparently forms on occasion but is "scrubbed" by vibration causing the variations in electrical conductivity. Drilling out a dimple in the wall of the trap "can" will allow you to remove the delrin spacer and get to the guts. Before you pull out our last remaining hair, you might give this a try.

K7PP Rating: 2/5 Aug 11, 2010 19:11 Send this review to a friend
OK for some  Time owned: more than 12 months
Even a great antenna will suffer in poor conditions but I'm afraid the R 7000 is more susceptible to the weather out here on the Pacific Coast of Washington than most.
I've had the antenna up for years. It has performed fairly well on the upper bands but getting it to work on 40 and 20 has been a chore. I don't operate 30 so that's not been an issue.
I've had the top trap apart more times than I can count. Each time I seem to fix something different.

Today, I finally gave up and removed the top trap and it's four extra feet of tubing.
Guess, what? 20 meters is now flat across the whole band. All the other bands above 20 are also flat.
The antenna now works better than ever.

I'm not sure if I'm going to bother trying to fix the top trap again.

Bottom line is that from now on I'm going to stick with monoband verticals without traps.
If you live in an area that is dry and not to windy then, perhaps, otherwise I would try something else.

Regards,

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2010 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Not junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
The previous review not withstanding, I use this antenna camping and I've had amazing results, easily working Europe when Propagation is good....I've been a ham for 45 years and know antennas somewhat and I had doubts about this too, but the damn thing works!!!

I have no connection to the manufacturer but it ain't junk!! Yes, it's a compromised antenna but it ain't junk........

W4KVW Rating: 1/5 Jun 29, 2010 14:13 Send this review to a friend
JUNK  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This by far is the WORST antenna I "EVER" owned or operated on.The sections NEED too be attached to each other with self tapping SCREWS or the sections move around in the wind & lose contact with each other causing the SWR to go up & down. Save your money & pass on one of these pieces of GARBAGE!

EA7AQV Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 04:40 Send this review to a friend
After more than 5 years stored in bad conditions it works...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have bought a Cushcraft R7000 2nd hand that had been stored more than 5 years in very bad conditions, an after making a general manteinence (cleaning ALL electrical connections, rewiring CT1 trap, and fixing all the traps connections with 4 mm rivets), and making a new base hardware (the aluminium 10 mm plate), and guying it with 2 levels of Dyneema 3 mm cords, it works ok, outperforming my dipoles in all bands, and it has been ok, in spite of one 80 km/h winds storm...

KZ2T Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2010 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Overhal of the R-7000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my R7000 a little over a month ago for $50.00 from a Ham that was moving. The antenna had two bad traps and was only working on two bands - 10 and 12 meters.

I finally got time to take each trap apart to see what the issues were (if any). If any of you have this antenna and are afraid to go into them, email me and I'll give you detailed steps on how to do it - it's easy. I wish I had taken photos and written notes, sorry, I didn't.

CT1 (I think) has the trap that also has a capacitive device that is shielded from the outer can wall by some hard foam or plastic type material. The metal part of that device slides into into it and is held in place by a pop rivet that was very loose. Also, the aluminum wire that was used to wind the coil was in bad shape and looked like it had arc'd just below where it exits and attaches to the outside of the can. I drilled out the pop rivet and used a screw with a lock washer on both sides to reattach the metal part of the capacitive device. It no longer “wobbles.” I rewound CT1 with wire (that would give me enough turns) from a bad trap that was in CT2. I rewound CT2 with 12 awg solid copper wire. One trap was exactly 12 1/2 turns and the other trap was 14 turns.

I had to bore out the holes to use my pop rivet tool to reattach the wire for rewinding the traps. The existing hole was too small for the head of the rivet tool to fit properly. I also used a small 1/8 lock washer on the rivet for extra pressure on the connection.

I used new hex screws to replace the crappy ones that the antenna came with. I believe they were #8 ½” Hex screws. I snipped off the sharp ends because I was afraid that it may screw in too close to the center rod of the trap and arc. I also used 2” solid steel clamps to hold them in place after I closed them up. I used sealent on the tops and around the sides of the rubber at the top of all the traps to prevent water from getting down into the traps.

Also, I used "Antiseize" on all aluminum connections before sliding the antenna back together. Also, when tightening down the stainless steel clamps you have to be careful to not over tighten and strip the threads. Over tightening will simply loosen the connection and cause the antenna to detune by sliding down into itself while it's up in the air. What I did to ensure I had a tight fit was wait for the moment that turning it down became harder and then tried to rotate the sections with my hand. If it rotated I slowly tightened more, and then tried to rotate it by hand. When I couldn't rotate the connection with significant effort, I stopped tightening.

The antenna IS WORKING AS DESIGNED. It is outperforming the dipoles that I have in my attic.

Again, if you have one of these and need instructions, email me. If you'd like me to do it for you, email me and maybe we can work somthing out.

NG0G Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2010 12:29 Send this review to a friend
9 years great service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this used 9 years ago. It has survived a cross country move, and 5 Iowa winters. Ice storms, snow, temps to -25F, and 60 mph winds. I worked 3Y0X on it on both 40 and 20 with 100 watts. Finally after the most brutal Iowa winter in anyone's memory, it has developed an intermittent in one of the traps. I'll have it fixed this weekend. I have nothing but good things to say about this antenna. If you are unhappy with yours and can't stand the sight of it anymore, send it to me.

N8LB Rating: 2/5 Aug 21, 2009 19:23 Send this review to a friend
problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a cushcraft r7000 for 10 years now and have had several problems. I have taken apart, cleaned and reinforced all traps four times now. The last time I used larger SS screws and SS clamps when necessary. I also sealed all traps with bear glue and things have been fine for two years now.

W4NSC Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2009 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Anatnna  Time owned: more than 12 months
got mine used 7 years ago works great!
I see that MFJ has purchased Cushcraft and i hope they will start to remake the R-7000 and the R-5.
if you use, love and want a new one send MFJ a e-mail let them know that hams want these 2 products.