Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cushcraft R-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft R-7000
Cushcraft R-7000 Reviews: 79 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $389.95
Description: 40-10M 1/2 wave vertical. 80M add-on kit available.
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft R-7000.

AF1RE Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2009 10:57 Send this review to a friend
The R-7000 Works Very Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this used antenna online and have used it for over a year. I use 100w from a Ten-Tec Omni D. Initially it was mounted at 30' on a push-up pole, now it is mounted at 20' on a tower just above the roof line.

Acting upon advise given online, prior to installation I water proofed the traps, secured the trap wires to the coil form with rivets, and replaced all the clamps with high quality SS ones.

The performance is outstanding. If I can hear it, I can work it, with the exception of Japan and New Zealand. I can hear them, but can't get through. I hadn't heard these countries until the R-7000 was moved. I feel my reach has increased since lowering it ten feet to a permanent structure.

Upon moving the antenna I took the opportunity to adjust the length and now only use a tuner on 40m. I will adjust that band soon and then waterproof all clamped connections.

I have an amp in the closet and look forward to trying to stress this gem with a little power soon. Seventy-plus countries and counting.

I highly recommend the R-7000

HB9DSU Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2008 13:31 Send this review to a friend
I don't understand...  Time owned: months
...what's wrong with the reviews on Eham. OK - I'm no mechanical egnineer or PhD in electronics, but I've been a ham for 25 years and I earned TWO DXCC Honor Roll from two different countries. I dare saying that I know a thing or two about ham radio and HF antennas, although purely fom the user/practitioner point of view. Now, I see 0 ratings about the R-7000, and people saying it's "terrible". I have worked the second DXCC HR *only* using the R-7000 and 1 kw out PA. I also enjoyed memorable qso's such as working VK6 from HB9 in the midst of the CQWW phone contest USING the FT817 at a blasting 5 watts! Now, I decided to write this review after comparing the R-7000 on 40 meters with a full size inverted L for 160, tuned at the base. The R-7000 consistently outperforms a antenna that's 40 meters long, both on DX and local signals. In short - the halfwave design rocks, and this is as good a multiband vertical as you can get. I wonder if people who are giving bad reviews are actually using the same antenna... 73, Pete

W4YA Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2008 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Works 6 meters, too.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed it 10 years ago, and no problems at 1KW all bands with the base at 6'. I added 6" to the topmost element to get a better SWR, 1:1, on the low end of 40M. I also use an MFJ 989C tuner when I run the amplifier. Otherwise, the built-in tuner in the 746PRO gets 1:1 on all bands.

My R-7000 loads fine on 6 meters at 100W, which is an unexpected plus.

My R-7000 works exactly like a vertical should, and I recommend it.

KE5GK Rating: 0/5 May 2, 2008 19:44 Send this review to a friend
"Lemon Laws" Should Apply  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The R-7000 makes the old Gotham vertical look like a DX champ.

Here's some hard earned ($350 of it) advice:

1. If a ham friend tries to give you this antenna, find a new friend.

2. The old cliche " A Vertical Air Cooled Dummy Load" was first uttered by R-7000 owners.

3. When kids in the community ask "What is that?" Tell them the R-7000 is a monument to failure.

4. If you take this wannabee antenna to a hamfest, wear a mask. If you accept money for it,
donate all of it to homeless hams in your city.

Protect your family, career and reputation by avoiding this miscarriage of justice.

W8ZM Rating: 0/5 Nov 5, 2007 18:31 Send this review to a friend
This antenna is poor and extremely unreliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this antenna for 10 years and have had nothing but misery with it. If you are happy with 100 or 200 watts, it is a reasonable antenna. However, don't plan to put 1500 watts or anything close to it unless you are prepared to replace traps and matching networks. Mine just blew up again for the umteenth time during the SS contest.

Yes I was running high power, just as the specs specify - on 20 meter cw, where the swr was below 1.5 to one. Boom, the swr jumps to infinity and the amp shuts down. No signal output what-so-ever. So, I open the black box today and the inside is charcoal black. I'm not even sure which components are fried, yet, but I've had it with this piece of trash. When I lived in WV, I had a 90' tower and yagis on all bands 40 to 10. Unfortunately, here in Va, I'm not allowed to have such equipment, so I must rely on the lowely vertical (I don't even have room for a dipole).

So, now I must find another vertical before the SS SSB contest. I have two old Hy-Gain 40 to 10 verticals, maybe I'll use those. Even a wet noodle will be better than this Cushcraft garbage.

Say what you will about this antenna, but to experienced hams, this isn't even a reliable dummy load. Dummy loads advertised to accept maximum power don't usually fail.

W6ZIM Rating: 3/5 Oct 7, 2007 05:12 Send this review to a friend
Could not get it to Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
It probably isn't fair to rate an antenna that you acquired used. So I have taken that into account in writing this review.

By way of background, this antenna was purchased new by a ham in 1996. Beginning around the end of 1997, the antenna was taken down and put into storage for about 10 years (ham became a silent key) - some of the storage was outdoors. I acquired the antenna, and put it up last year, but never worked any QSO's with it. It seemed to be okay using an antenna tuner, and SWR's were always less than 2:1 with the tuner.

More recently, my interest in ham radio was re-energized, and with the purchase of a new transceiver, started to use the R-7000. I was stunned to see that, without a tuner, the SWR was 9:1 or worse on most bands. I took the antenna down, cleaned it, reassembled it, and still the same result. I tried everything I could think of - antioxide paste, tighten and retighten all connections (including trap screws), double and triple check measurements, experimented with different measurements, used both a transceiver and RF analyszer to check SWR, tried different lengths of coax, different mounting locations, etc. etc. In the end, I had to give up. I just could not get this thing down to a decent SWR on any band without as tuner. I have to assume there is something defective, possibly one or more bad traps.

My failure to get the antenna working correctly is what prompted the '3' score. On the positive side, this antenna is very easy to assemble - the instructions are clear and straighforward. It is relatively light in weight and easy to put up. It looks unobtrusive, and the fact you don't need to have radials makes it very convenient and ideal for limited space QTH's. The quality of the hardware is very good - after 11 years it still looks almost new. I would assume its replacement, the R8, has the same positive qualities.

Since the overall configuration of the R7 is perfect for my QTH, I ended up ordering a Hygain AV640 which is very similar, minus the traps.

KF4NI Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2007 08:04 Send this review to a friend
awesome antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an awesome antenna when you have the correct instruction manual for it. There seems to be 3 different versions of the antenna and manual, According to the pieces included in the package. I purchased one used and found out it was assembled using the wrong manual for the physical pieces I had, and it did not perform well at all. I got the 'right' manual and re-constructed the antenna according to the manual and it is 'AWESOME' performance. I have it mounted 20 inches above ground and no added radials. It is 8ft. to the nearest obstruction.
I worked Greenland, Africa, and Antartica using 100 watts. They must have revised it 2 times and that is the reason for the different measurements on lengths of 1 piece, but that makes all the difference to the performance and tuning of the antenna. I love mine.

KG0WX Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2006 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Update after 1 year of use  Time owned: more than 12 months
My R-7000 continues to perform VERY well with NO problems. Using Caig DeoXit on all the connecting parts and hose clamping the traps was a good idea.

I just aquired a Kenwood TS-850SAT and moved to a new QTH. Instead of being up on the roof, the R-7000 is ground mounted on a 2' mast with radials from a previous installation going out in many directions underground. I had to retune the antenna when I moved (it was on my roof).

The poly guy lines I used didn't last half a year before they UV rotted and broke. Turns out the antenna really dosen't need them - I've gone out on windy days and the top of the antenna only moves 12-18" in a 40mph wind gust. Nice!

W8WLC Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2005 16:02 Send this review to a friend
good but not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these several years ago right after they hit the market. When it worked it was great. The big secret to preventing problems with this dude is to open the traps up and replace the screws with ones that stay tight as well as apply a generous coating of no-allox to the connection. After doing this and guying the unit no problems. Cushcraft was very good on providing warrenty parts but they are a little harder to get hold of than some other companies

N8LB Rating: 1/5 Dec 21, 2005 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Terrible  Time owned: more than 12 months
Needs help and more help. I've owned this antenna for several years and it has required more maintenance and modification than any antenna I've owned(erratic continuity, etc.). I've went back to a dipole and will use the aluminum tubing for another project. Could not sell it in good conscience. This comes from a ham since 1963 who has made many HB antennas.