Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | MFJ-490 Keyer-Paddle Combo Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-490 Keyer-Paddle Combo
MFJ-490 Keyer-Paddle Combo Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Menu Driven Memory Keyer and Bencher Paddles
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-490

You can write your own review of the MFJ-490 Keyer-Paddle Combo.

WR8Y Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2003 21:36 Send this review to a friend
What's the matter, MFJ?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always like bencher paddles, and had an MFJ keyer until I dropped it on the floor!

I liked the appearance and features of the 490 and thought it would meet my needs of general CW use and half-serious contesting (just getting started with CW contesting.)

The first unit from HRO had no memory when powered down at all and the MEM 2 button didn't work. HRO happily sent me another unit.

The second unit works perfectly so far. I have heard about RF troubles with a lot of keyers, so I tried to make this one mess up before the 10 day HRO trial period. With 125 watts of RF into a dipole 12 feet from the desk, I had RF in everything in the house and shack!!!!! But, I could not make the MFJ act up.

I admit I'v not owned it all that long, but I think this one's a winner. I know there are other keyers in this price class, but I like the appearance and small, compact size of a keyer/paddle combo.

I would suggest to MFJ they think about better pushbuttons for the memories, and add a switch to the back to switch between Grid-block / Solid state keying. (THink I'll do that one on my own.)

I titled my review "What's the matter, MFJ?" because I like their products, but it seems there are some quality control problems here. I really think the product probably deserves a 4.5 or 5.0, it's just the experience of the first 'dud' that is still with me.

Mark