Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2200 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2200
Yaesu FT-2200 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $???
Description: VHF 2 Meter Mobil
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2200.

W9OS Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2015 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Work Horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the rig since they sold them new.
Spent most of its life in a car.
I had the on off switch fail,but since it is a DPDT I just wired up the other side.Out is on In is off now.
I put it in the truck when my Icom 208H lost it's high power.. Now that I have the Icom repaired I noticed the reciever is no where near as sensitive as the newer Icom. It may need an alignment.
I will now use as a base station/vacation radio

KD6CPA Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2013 17:12 Send this review to a friend
RIG GOOD, MIC HAS ISSUES  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my FT-2200 about 2 months ago on e-Bay. On firing it up, I got reports of low audio. (The seller used it for APRS, so didn't realize the issue.) Did some research and found failure of a a couple of caps in the MH-27 mic is common. I am not the type to dig into surface mount devices (like this mic), but have a couple of ham buddies who are. After printing out repair instructions, we spent about 90 minutes together (including interruptions) and brought the mic up to snuff at no cost, as one of the buds had the caps in his junk box (probably saved all of about $3.00). Since then, I like this rig. I especially like the "quick release" mobile mount (MMB-37) so I can quickly un-install it.

K5PB Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2013 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this little radio new on closeout in the late 1990s and have used it ever since, both at home QTH and many miles of mobile. The receiver is essentially bulletproof and covers a wide range of frequencies beyond 2M, including aircraft bands and NWS weather channels. After 15 years the xmtr still puts out rated power, although heat sink can get quite warm on long QSOs at 50W. Full complement of bells and whistles keep the radio up to date. Only problem was sticky PTT switch return which was easily fixed by replacing old rubber with a new "spring" made from a piece of cured RTV trimmed to size. Memory battery still good after all this time. K5PB

N8FXH Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2009 05:18 Send this review to a friend
Tough Little Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using one for about a decade. Never had a moments trouble either mobile or at home. This is my primary in shack VHF Rig. Does what it's supposed to do.

KMB01 Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2006 03:26 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using FT-2200 for a TX in a repeater along with CES-510SA-II repeater/phone patch and it has not given me a problem... had installed a high RPM fan and dropped the wattage to 35-40 watts. continuous tx for an hour, heat sink gets hot but not too hot with the help of a cooling fan. its a tough little radio! if you see one of these radio get it you wont regret it... well, other than the power button being stuck... a good performer all the way!

73s to Kabalikat Malaya Zambales
Shout out to my 10-129 Angel! and 3430 Thea!
With all my 10-143s!
Roger and Out!

KX5F Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2006 06:39 Send this review to a friend
A Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought 2 of these, one in 93, another in 94 both still working fine, sent one back around 98 for a on-off switch and memory bat update. I sure wish Yaesu would make products like this again. 73 Pat

N5UV Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2006 23:33 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, just didn't last...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this rig for my pick-up truck back in 1996. It was my first NEW rig EVER (all previous VHF and HF rigs were used), so I was pleased with it. Scanner function was pretty fast, easy to program by today's standards, had the speaker mounted on the bottom where they should be. Put out 50 watts very easy without the same overheating problems that you see with most mobile 2m. rigs.

However, these radios were never built to last, and sure enough, the power button started to get lose and would shut off without warning...then hook/spring mechanism broke, so I had to tape the power on/off button down to keep it on. I tried to get fancy and rewire it so that it just stayed on the whole time, but I basically blew a circuit and killed the radio...

So, if you get one of these on the used market (Yaesu stopped making them in the late 90s), check the power on/off button...and if you do experience problems, save yourself some grief and just GLUE the button down...then wire up a toggle on/off switch on the power cable and use that to turn it on and off.

Otherwise, this is a good little rig, albeit somewhat dated.

AA9GE Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2006 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Solid work horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up one of these at the Evansville hamfest in 2002 and have had it installed mobile since. Not a single problem and great performance.

K1ECW Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2005 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had about every transceiver you can name and the Yaesu FT-2200 is tops for 2 meter FM receiver sensitivity. Additionally, it has 50, 25, and 5 watt output modes, a LOUD little top firing speaker, and it's easy to program and use!

They have about 50 memory channels including a priority / call channel. The receiver & transmitter range go well beyond the amateur bands. Therefore, keep an eye on the VFO!

They originally sold for close to $400 and now you can pick up a mint condition used unit for about $125. The ONLY very, very infrequent complaints I've ever heard is that the lithium memory battery dies after about 10 years and occasionally the spring loaded on/off switch goes out. Both items are still available from Yaesu service.

I've owned two of these rigs and never had a moment's trouble with either of them. I recommend the Yaesu FT-2200 without hesitation.

N2RFY Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2005 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Always dependable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my FT 2200 brand new back in about 1996 or so. It's been with me ever since, in 3 different Ford F-150's, and has always been reliable. I use a through the glass mount antenna, and it has always performed exceptionally. Very nice rig, very easy to program and use. I've yet to have any problem with this radio.