Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | HENRY 2KD-5 Help

Reviews Summary for HENRY 2KD-5
HENRY 2KD-5 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$1,500.00
Description: 80-10M w/WARC, desktop pair 3-500, 1500 watts out for 100 in
More info: http://www.henryradio.com/

You can write your own review of the HENRY 2KD-5.

AK4NJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2013 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Henry 2KD-5 120VAC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't had the Henry all that long. This one came wired for 120V of all things - a quick chat with Mr. Henry to verify that it in fact was wired for 120V --> off to the races.

I use a amp more in the 750 watt range around here in the S.E. and she easily does that with very little drive using 120V.

There is no doubt in my experience that this amplifier is rated very conservatively. The 2KD-5 is truly a wonderful amplifier.

I have my heart set on a Henry 3K Premiere... some day - until then...

P.S. not sure why all the horror stories about using house hold current ( 110-120VAC ) on this model.. All readings are in spec. Amp and cooling all running smoothly Tubes glowing nicely...

WX4US Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2012 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my Henry off of eBay. It ran very well, but I wanted someone to look it over for potential problems...it is a 30+ years old amp. The Amp Lady replaced the blower and the parasitic suppressors. At a reasonable price with quick turnaround.

It reliably gives 1200 watts with 75 watts of drive. The manual says you can drive it from 80 to 150 watts and at about 115 watts I hit legal limit. I never went beyond that.

The roller inductor tune allows you to tune up on any frequency in HF, the WARC bands, MARS, anywhere. So there is no need to look for mods to be able to use it on 10m, 12m or 17m. I put a spinner knob on the roller inductor and it greatly speeds up band changes.

It uses 2 3-500Z tubes w/o chimneys, but does use a squirrel cage for forced cooling.

Stated HV is 3KV, but mine runs 3.4KV with 245VAC feeding it.

It's a solid performer and can be had for between $.80 to $1.00/watt. Very inexpensive when you look at the cost of other near/legal limit amps built only half as strong. Newer doesn't mean better.

My other amp is a Dick Byrd modified Alpha 76a with 3cx800a7 tubes and the Henry comes very close to it with less than half of the cost. I like my Alpha best, but you can't argue about the cost savings in today's economy.

I've asked questions via email on ham sites and received direct emails from Ted Henry! That says a lot in itself. They may not make this amp anymore but Ted keeps his fingers on the pulse.

NE7X Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2010 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Will last longer then me  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a 40 year old amplifier, my 2KD-5 is still alive and working. The only issues I had were one of the power supply filter caps went bad, so I replaced all the caps. I also upgraded the slower T/R relay with high speed vacuum relays, so now I have full QSK. My 2KD-5 sits on an old surplus 2K pedestal next to my two Henry 2K-4 amplifiers.

For information on the QSK vacuum relay modification, visit my Henry 2K-4 website. The modification also applies to the Henry 2KD-5.

73s and enjoy the hobby.

Thomas NE7X...
Website: http://www.ne7x.com

KB3KRJ Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2008 19:55 Send this review to a friend
A powerhouse!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think it has all been said... I bought mine used on ebay and love it. They really don't build them like this anymore and that is too bad. Every shack should have a Henry but production was not that high and they are getting hard to find.

W2XC Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2007 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Nice amp. - Built to last!  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of those transparent amplifiers - just keeps working week after week, year after year. Need to run this baby at 240VAC in, +3KV on the plates - near legal limit out BUT remember this was designed (1980's) when 2KW INPUT was the limit. Loafs along nicely at 1,200-1,300 watts out. Yes...you can drive them up to 1,500 watts out with a higher power exciter (takes about 125 watts to do that) but why??? Tuned input, plate tune is by roller inductor. Only odd item of this design is no chimneys, yet uses a squirrel cage blower for cooling. However, I have never seen a sign of tube overheating - even, dull orange glow at full power (normal for a pair of 3-500Z). Mine is still running the old Eimacs at full power. Uses a blower with plenty of air - not too noisy - again normal - for a small blower. Only downsides: 1) You need to use a relay buffer or install a driver as unit uses high voltage (120 DC) switching (I installed a Harbach Soft Key in mine) 2) Open frame antenna relay is loud - you will know itís working! NOT for break-in CW operation! I operate SSB-PTT so it is of no concern. 3) NO 160 Meters, but again this amp. would have been illegal in most states at the time this was designed (160 was all low power & filled with Loran).

K9CTB Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2006 01:02 Send this review to a friend
Built to last!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 2KD-5 is truly a wonderful amplifier, built by masters in the field of RF power generation, Henry Radio. Very heavy industrial-strength amp using two (2) 3-500Z tubes. I have owned my 2KD-5 since 1990, and I am still running on the original Eimacs - and still getting the legal limit with about 70 watts drive. Please don't try to compare the Henry with a Heakthkit. The Henry makes use of a tuned input system, which means that if you set it up correctly, it will "baby" the solid-state finals on your excitation rig, as well as knocking down any "spurs" that force their way out of the exciter. The Heath SB-2xx series amps, while fine boxes in their own right, did not worry about tuned inputs, because they were designed to be paired with the SB-1xx or HW-1xx rigs which had forgiving tubes for output devices. My 2KD-5, as wired for 220V, put 3,010 volts DC on the plates. In SSB service on a 75 meter traffic net, the transformer warmed up well, but not overly hot by any means. In RTTY service after a 10 minute transmission outputting about 1000 W PEP, again the transformer became moderately warm. Certainly not hot enough to worry about. Troubles I have seen include only the HV section of the multimeter, which quit reading due to a bad resistor. Easily fixed, but the fan -- which is what everyone will complain about.....is just a shaded-pole squarrel-cage job which Henry wants about $150.00 for. When the noise gets to loud for you, I'd recommend looking at the selection of fans at Grainger. Much cheaper and I believe there is one that will fit without modification.
All in all, a total "5" for me. I don't see many used Henrys out there, and there's probably a reason. Mine will be in my shack until (to borrow someone's phrase) the estate sale.

KA0CSL Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2006 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amplifier.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I loved this amplifier. I feel the size and the couple hundred extra youll pay for it over a SB-220 is not worth it. but it is a nice 2x3-500z amplifier. If you find one for the price of a SB-220 jump on it.

K9AUB Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2006 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Built like a battleship  Time owned: more than 12 months
Terrific linear, built to run for centuries. It will easily outlast you! Very easy to operate, very smooth and tame while cranking out the power. I don't believe this amp runs "full legal limit" today, but I couldn't imagine needing anything more. I get around 1300w input max, and can put at least 800-900w into the antenna at full tune. 3-500s are reliable and rugged. It loafs along all day and night at 1 KW. (Run it on 220V!!) Other than a little fan noise, I can't think of anything negative to say about this amplifier. And it can't be used on CB! Yay!

KQ6IY Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2005 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Industrial strength for ham  Time owned: more than 12 months
The fan noise is slightly higher than your typical amp but quality contruction throughout and its HEAVY. Never missed a beat. I regret selling it.

WB4KML Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2003 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Workhorse and Great Amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Henry has supplied ampifiers for both the commercial market and the government for decades and the qualtiy and rugedness of their amp is clearly evident if you have ever looked inside one of them.The controls are smooth and it is well made. I retubed my Amp and it really performs as well as anything out there. The only down side is the fan noise, nothing a little fan oil won't fix. Has a lot of drive about 1300 watts out with 100 in from a Yeasu FT-101ZD on tune-up.It's a solid, proven amplifier with a long history of good service. Henry Radio stand behind that amp, and are very helpful with questions on the maintenance & operation.
I would recommend you operate the amp on 220 volts.