Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-3AT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-3AT
Icom IC-3AT Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$299.99 new in mid 80s
Description: 220 mhz HT with thumbwheel frequency selection
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-3AT.

N2MDV Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2017 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Superb gift to give. Now I wish I had it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've briefly had the 3AT, 2AT, 4AT, and still have the marine band version of this rig. The amateur versions of these rigs were given to my cousin when he 1st got his HAM ticket, and he used these HT's to the MAX as HT's, mobiles, and bases. Great TX / RX audio on these HT's, solid construction, and the thumb wheels FREQ selecting are like being back out in the military field operations again. (My Dad, whom normally is radio inept, was able to work the marine version of these rig from his Army field training.) Yeah, no CTCSS on these, but there are still PL board kits for that out there. If you see these at hamfests for under $100.00, very much worth it!

KA2AYR Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2011 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful simplicity  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine after I got my first "real job" in 1983. It's simple. It doesn't have games stored in memory when there's no one to talk to. It doesn't tell you the time. You turn it on, set the volume and squelch, dial in the frequency, set it for repeater or simplex and high or low power. Then push to talk from there. I added a ComSpec board. The extra switch near the off switch activates it. In those dark how-did-you-stay-alive? days before cellular, I did autopatch with it. You can't ask for more out of a radio. And I still have it!

AH6RH Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2008 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just like the IC-2AT, this unit is rugged and reliable. No frills, just dial the frequency on the thumbwheels. The on/off switch is on the right side, and the back has the low/high power switch and the duplex/simplex switch. Has great audio on transmit and receive. The receive audio is loud, for those who's hearing is not the greatest. Got mines used, and am enjoying the local 222 MHz repeater. I'm using the BP-4 battery pack with alkalines, so I don't need the battery charger, although I have lots of battery packs.

WB2AZE Rating: 4/5 Jan 26, 2005 18:02 Send this review to a friend
good solid radio, somewhat dated though  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these radios and both of them are built like a sherman tank. This is the HT you need during Field Day, when you realize you don't have a hammer to pound the tent stakes in.... You pound them in with the radio, and it still works....
Although a bit larger and bulkier than the newer rigs, my wife(also a ham) likes the radio because of the simpler thumbwheel controls. No need to remember menu's, etc...

Only bad thing... Cannot find the PL board (accessory) to hit repeaters with PL.

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2003 01:58 Send this review to a friend
Coming back for more  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Now on my 4th 3AT thanks to ebay! Another great thing about this HT is that there is absolutely no battery drain since it uses thumbwheel frequency selection with no memories, display, or backlighting. You can keep the battery attached and it won't drain it. Great transmit and receive audio, and alot of accessories still available.

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Jan 17, 2003 16:45 Send this review to a friend
great way to get on 222!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am now on my third Icom 3AT. Keep coming back to this radio for 222 FM use. It is identical to the Icom 2AT and 4AT except for frequency coverage, and has 1 less switch on the back-all repeaters on 222 use -1.6 mhz split, so there is no need for a offset switch. Like its brothers, this rig is solid, and gets the job done.

You can find battery packs all over for this HT, as it uses the very common Icom BP2/3/4/5/8 series. With the BP3 you get about 1.5 watts out, and about 2.5 watts out with the BP5. This is a little low by todays standards, but was good for the 1980s when the HT came out. You cannot run it off of 12 volts directly, and will need the DC-1 if you want to plug it into the cigarette lighter.

Compared to other HTs of this era this is a fairly small HT. Slightly larger than most being sold today, but still not bad. Has a nice large speaker, and kicks out plenty of audio. If you can find one of these at a good price, I would not hestitate to get it.