Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil Sound PL-2 Mic Boom Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Sound PL-2 Mic Boom
Heil Sound PL-2 Mic Boom Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $60.00
Description: The new HEIL PL-2 is truly the finest professional microphone boom available today. Absolutely silent as it is moved. Perfectly balanced and stays exactly where it is placed. Using a system of perfectly balanced internal springs rather than the unsightly and mechanically unstable outboard springs used on booms of much lesser quality, the Heil PL-2 handles microphones up to 1.5 pounds in weight.

More info: http://www.heilsound.com/PL-2.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Sound PL-2 Mic Boom.

KC8PCK Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2012 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great boom!I have used three of them here in the shack along with Heil shock mounts and have really enjoyed them. Anytime I have ever had a question or a problem with a Heil product I simply call them on the telephone and they have taken excellent care of me.

K6ATZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2012 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this boom for over 5 years, holding two mikes (Heil GM-4 and HM-iC, on a TM-3 tri-mount). It has been mounted with the standard C-clamp to an overhead shelf and to two desk risers/shelves. No problem at all with the clamp or the movement, even after two house moves and regular use. With two mike cables I can't use the channel covers, but I managed to dress the second cable cleanly along the top with black twist-ties. Moves smoothly and stays in place. Shack visitors are always impressed with it, but the best recommendation that can come from me is simply this: I don't notice it at all anymore.

N1KDO Rating: 2/5 Jan 26, 2012 19:07 Send this review to a friend
wish I had been warned!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My PL-2T had the desk-mount C-clamp fail, too. Dropped my RE-20 onto the shack floor. Thankfully it is carpeted, and the mike survived unscathed.

Further, the "topless design" covers would snap off until I took some pliers to the u-channel and tightened them up.

I made my own mount with some angle bracket, box channel, and some cheap c-clamps from the Orange Box.

I would not buy another.

KG6YV Rating: 3/5 Jan 26, 2012 09:57 Send this review to a friend
C-clamp mount shatters  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me start by saying there is nothing wrong with this microphone boom. Its well made and works very well. However, if you use the c-clamp mount to secure it to a shelf beware! My clamp shattered last night and the whole enchilada, SM7B microphone and all fell on the desk. The c-clamp is "pot-metal" and it fractured. IF you buy this boom and mount it secured to a shelf, buy the $35.00 thru hole mount. I just did. Luckily the SM7B is a rugged microphone and it survived the fall. Oh, my boom is 3 years old and , "no" I didn't over tighten it. The boom itself rates a "5", the clamp is a "0".

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2007 08:47 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
u know we always put off stuff for the shack we should have gotten a long time ago i thought 100 bucks is a lot BUT it isnt at 200 bucks its worth it it is perfect for my needs tu heil and co

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2007 21:35 Send this review to a friend
New Model  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an older version PL-2 that works great. However, as some have noted, it does have some small noises associated with movement (to me, no big thing). I just bought a new version for a second mic and any issues noted in previous reviews have been addressed. Typical Heil Sound ... they just keeping making a good thing even better!

AA6A Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2006 20:56 Send this review to a friend
Fair Price and Reasonable Value but Not Silent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For the price the design is handy and, there's really nothing else which compares. However, I have found that the base pin occassionally will cause a bit of sound when the boom is repositioned. Certainly to be expected, so the marketing assertion that the boom is "silent" is somewhat of an overstatement.

Overall, I'm pleased with the construction and a bit of graphite lube makes the base happier. ;-)

Very 73,

Rob - AA6A
(Prev. AK9G)
(Prev. K6RSG)

KA5ROW Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2006 13:09 Send this review to a friend
A great accessory  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like the Heil Sound PL-2 Mic Boom. The boom allows me to use the computer to look up calls as I am talking on the radio. Before I would move the keyboard and the desk mic back an fourth.
And the topless cover is a good to keep your mic cable out of the way.

Douglas
KA5ROW

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2006 03:51 Send this review to a friend
still there no problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
mine is still working,and still using it !there nothing wrong with this boom.i have no problem with mine somepeople have problem there nothing wrong with them. just my 2 cent in.

Jackie
KG4ORX
Website : http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx/

G8FXC Rating: 1/5 Jul 14, 2006 03:13 Send this review to a friend
Nice idea, poor design...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I waited more than a month for a new delivery to make it across the Atlantic and when it finally arrived, it fell apart in less than eight hours!

When I examined the wreckage, I am not surprised - in order to hide the springs and wires inside the boom arms, they cannot fit proper bearings at the joints. At the end of each arm, there is a hole about an eighth on an inch diameter drilled on each side. Each joint consists of two sheet metal disks which have dimples pressed into them to engage with the holes in the boom arms. The arms are sandwiched between two disks which are joined by a pillar in the middle. There are no proper bearing surfaces and no lubrication. The pillars are swaged into the disks, so it is not even possible to reassemble it - or dismantle for lubrication.

I can only assume that other users who have had no problem with it simply don't move it very much - that's not why I bought mine. Do bear in mind also that those arms contain a pair of pretty strong springs which are under a lot of compression and are, in turn, trying to force the "bearings" apart! When mine failed, it was pretty explosive - it took me several minutes to find all the pieces! I had probably only moved it half a dozen times in the course of the day, but the so-called bearings were already showing signs of wear.

I've packaged mine up (what's left of it) and am sending it back for a refund. I've found an alternative from another manufacturer which does not try to hide the springs and hence can have proper bearings at the joints. Pity really - I've always liked Heil, but this is not one of their better designs...

Martin