Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil Sound PL-2 Mic Boom Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Sound PL-2 Mic Boom
Heil Sound PL-2 Mic Boom Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $60.00
Description: The new HEIL PL-2 is truly the finest professional microphone boom available today. Absolutely silent as it is moved. Perfectly balanced and stays exactly where it is placed. Using a system of perfectly balanced internal springs rather than the unsightly and mechanically unstable outboard springs used on booms of much lesser quality, the Heil PL-2 handles microphones up to 1.5 pounds in weight.

More info: http://www.heilsound.com/PL-2.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Sound PL-2 Mic Boom.

KB3MTV Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2006 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Awsome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great mic stand for the money. I use it with the Heil Heritage Microphone and it works great. Amazing for ragchewing to contesting. Great product for the money.

73 and happy DX!
Chris- KB3MTV

N7ZXP Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2006 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Boom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works and looks Great. Got a PR-20 on it and could'nt be better. Another great product by the mic pro's

KD0ZV Rating: 2/5 Feb 25, 2006 06:41 Send this review to a friend
NOT typical Heil  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I hate to give a Heil product a bad review because over the years all the products I have had from Bob are all "5". This includes several mikes, headphones, EQ units and switches and cables.

Let me say this boom does work and it is mechanically sound. But, it is NOT "absolute silent as it is moved" as stated on the Heil site. I have it mounted to a RS-1 mount and there is no bushing in the mount. I talked to Bob and it sounds like they may have changed this in the new models but it wasn't in the RS-1 I just bought.

We talked about me finding a bushing and drilling it out but I have not got around to that. Just not the Heil quality I am used to. I have a PR780 microphone in it connected to my Pro III. For those of you that have not heard a 780 microphone, I suggest you check them out. Outstanding !!

As soon as I get this squeeky problem fixed, I will be happy :)

Rich
kd0zv

AC0DV Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2006 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Where's the LIGHT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Put one of these on my desk with a Heil iCM.

I love it. I have a computer desk with the shack right under the LCD monitor. (Computer is 5' to the right. No noise.)

Great for ragchews... when I'm listening to on the nets... I do computer stuff. The microphone is right there where it needs to be. (I use a push to talk. many have suggested a foot switch.. but I'm not that coordinated.)

I hated having to stop what I was doing.... look for the hand mike... pick it up.. make sure it was facing my mouth... push the button.. etc etc.

Now I just talk on VOX or push the button.

Only problem: I keep looking for the light... it looks like it would be nice to have a small light mounted on the bottom of it for the desk. Then I'd have a microphone AND a light.

(Don't know about any interference with the microphone cables though. Perhaps I'll drop a line to Heil and ask.)

--Keith -- AC0DV

N4SRT Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2004 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Boom mics - The only way to fly  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned my PL-2 boom for about a year now. I wanted to go to a boom-mounted mic because I've had too many crummy desk mics and my Heil BM-10 headset is great, but there's a time when you want to casually ragchew. That's where a boom-mounted mic comes in.

The only mic I've run with the boom so far is my trusty Shure 55S. I originally planned to install a Heil mic element in the Shure, but it works great as is. The boom holds the weight of the Shure just fine; it's easy to readjust where the mic is positioned when you're talking, and it's very quiet. My boom isn't the "topless" version, but the cable ran through this one just fine.

If you can find the older PL-2 boom, you might get it at a cheaper price than than the newer "topless" version. Both are good choices for your shack.

A9KW Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2004 12:39 Send this review to a friend
AWSOME  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I HAVE HAD EVERY OTHER BOOM,THE PL2T IS GREAT QUIET AS A MOUSE AND THEN STAYS PUT WHERE YOU LEAVE IT,AND NO MORE CABLE MESS,GREAT BOOM.

W7RJR Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2003 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can only add to the previous review regarding the PL-2 Mic Boom. Very solid construction and straight forward installation. The C clamp mounts just about anywhere you can imagine. Stays exactly where you put it and easy to maneuver. At first it was a bit confusing as to how the cable was routed from the microphone to the boom, but a quick review of the brief manual cleared up the fact that you have to first disassemble the microphone mount, thread the cable through and then reassemble..no big deal.

I highly recommend this boom although I am not certain how universal it will be with other brands of microphones. It uses a threaded mount that may or may not be compatible with other mics.

73, W7RJR

KF4DHE Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2003 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Awsome Product!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This has got to be the best $60 I ever spent. If you're looking for a top quality boom you need to order one of these. Still can't believe this much quality could be so cheap in price. Using mine with the SM-1 shock mount and the Goldline and it is just great. Will adjust to any position you need and stays put. Very solid in construction. No wobble at all. Like the fact that the mic cable can be run inside the boom and out of site also. Top notch product for sure.