Reviews Categories | Transverters | Down East Microwave TIB Help

Reviews Summary for Down East Microwave TIB
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $50.00
Description: This is an interface box that allows you to connect a transverter to your HF rig with minimum fuss- no mods to the HF rig.
More info: http://www.downeastmicrowave.com

You can write your own review of the Down East Microwave TIB.

K9ZF Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2003 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Makes life simple:-)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to agree, 5 of 5!

Using the TIB makes transverter interfacing a snap.

3 cheers for the TIB!

QRP-l #1269
IN-Ham list administrator

WY3X Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2003 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Nice accessory for your transverter!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The quality of the kit is better than many that I've built. First-class paint job and silk-screening of all connections on the exterior. The paint job is VERY nice! It would have been nice if they had silk-screened the PC board, but then, the instructions included a blown-up overlay which made it easy to locate the parts on the board. All non-RF wire was teflon covered, a VERY nice touch! The board was solder-coated which made it very easy to solder to. There is a fair amount of mechanical work involved (installing all the connectors), but nothing that is too bad. I started the build at about 1PM and was done (even with the testing of the TIB) by 4PM, and I'm slow and deliberate- I check every resistor with my ohm meter to make sure I am inserting the proper value resistor in the right hole. In spite of my carefulness, I managed to get a ONE watt resistor where a TWO watt resistor was specified. The bag of parts was just thrown together, and there were multiple-wattage resistors of the same value. I chose a big one, but it wasn't big enough! Some are 1/4 watt, 1/2 watt, 1 watt, and there is a single 2 watt. The instructions stated to cut the wire into 3-inch lengths, but I chose instead to "custom cut" each wire. I'm sure it'll make for difficult disassembly later on, but I like my projects to look neat. I form 90 degree bends in my wires while routing them to make troubleshooting easier later on down the road. If you want to get a taste of the quality of DEMI kits before you tackle a transverter, this would be a good "learner" project. I found, as others have found, poor instructions, but near-military-grade parts. Because I have many kits under my belt, it was no problem for me. A newbie may wind up quickly handing it to his/her elmer for completion. All in all, a great accessory to have in the shack if you're going to go the transverter route. I am sure you'll find it indespensible, particularly if you want to keep your HF capabilities unhindered. The folks on the phone at DEMI were as nice as could be when I placed my order, and kindly made necessary suggestions by asking me qualifying questions. Folks, DEMI is as good as it gets for those of us who want to work the upper bands! Next project- ?