Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig YACHT BOY (Porsche) P 2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig YACHT BOY (Porsche) P 2000
Grundig YACHT BOY (Porsche) P 2000 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 1.3/5 MSRP: $99.00
Description: Sterling silver World Receiver designed by F. A. Porsche. Frequencies and SW bands can be directly keyed in. 2 international times are adjustable.
14.2 x 9.2 x 3.5 cm small and 330 g light
(without batteries).
More info: http://www.grundig.com/produkte/audio.html

You can write your own review of the Grundig YACHT BOY (Porsche) P 2000.

KG6QNK Rating: 0/5 Jun 24, 2011 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Sharp looking appearance; lacks performance.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with the general concensus: Awful! Avoid it, seriously! well bult but a piece of Sh[...]t!

I'm using this receiver as a loaner, my DX-396 due to heavy usage over the years is finally near it's end. I'll have to coax some more use out of it.

The sad part is; or so it seems to me, is that this Radio performs so poorly that it could completely dissuade a new comer from enjoying this educational Hobby. Makes a great paper wieght;or, perhaps door-stop.

I am unaware of any simple modification for improving the performance. Avoid it.

NA4U Rating: 0/5 Mar 3, 2011 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Awful!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Porsche needs to stick to automobiles. This is a poor excuse for a receiver at any price. Poor audio, dynamic range, selectivity, sensitivity, and user interface. An insult to both names. It was a free gift so, I cannot give it back.

ZS1TTZ Rating: 0/5 Apr 30, 2010 23:00 Send this review to a friend
Avoid it, seriously !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to agree with the majority on this one. I'd purchased one for shortwave BBC reception whilst travelling. Mediocre performance was what I expected and I would have been satisfied with that, it's all I needed, but plain useless is what it is, and that was totally expected from any product bearing the Grundig name.
Mine also went back the next day.

VE3ES Rating: 1/5 Aug 7, 2009 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Well built but a piece of junk!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got one for Christmas a few years ago. What a piece of junk. Steer clear of this one boys and girls. Although it seems to be well built whoever designed this garbage (Porsche?)should be ashamed of themselves.

VE1BLL Rating: 1/5 Oct 15, 2006 05:52 Send this review to a friend
Useless on SW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sears had these on for about $30; I couldn't resist. Although it worked reasonably well on FM, it could only hear three or four SW stations in total (!) on SW. Useless. I took it back for a refund after a few days.

MW0ZZD Rating: 0/5 Sep 20, 2006 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Very poor radio.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio is only useful as an alarm clock.Does not even pull in my local radio station on Medium wave.Avoid it even if is a free gift.

SWL377 Rating: 2/5 Aug 21, 2006 14:55 Send this review to a friend
OK for $29.95  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When the local Frys Electronics recently marked these down to $29.95 I bought one figuring that a kybd synth SW rcvr would never be cheaper and the P 2000 had good looks too. Well, at $29.95 I am happy but if I had payed what some early adopters paid ($150?) I'd be pissed off. It has lousy selectivity, has image rejection problems, and isnt all that sensitive. My Sony SW 100 just kills the Grundig in every category, but it should as it cost a lot more. I definitely recommend it at $29.95 as an outstanding value, but if you pay a lot more then you are not getting your money's worth. Keep in mind that it is not a genl cvg set (tunes SW broadcast bands only) and has no BFO for SSB or CW. Dr. Porsche simply dressed a pig in nice clothes.

DUB-LOW7 Rating: 3/5 Feb 8, 2005 13:18 Send this review to a friend
It is what it is  Time owned: months
The little Grundig is a little portable that looks cool and does reasonably well at recieving the major sw broadcasts (BBC, Radio Netherlands, Radio Tiwan etc.). Don't expcect it to perform like it's bigger brothers, YB300 and YB400. The mediumwave and fm performance is acceptable. I use the radio at my desk at work and it does a pretty good job pulling in my local mediumwave and fm station through the conrete/steel office building. I also own the Grundig YB4000 and Sony 7600gr. these are far superior radios but I find I reach for the little Grundig Porsche when I go out for the day or on my many business trips. It make a very nice little radio/alarm clock for the hotel stays. I don't find the sound quality as bad as some other reviewers. The stereo fm through headphones is not bad at all. Is the radio worth the retail price? NO, but if you find it on ebay or at Radio Shack at a discount you should get your money's worth. It is what it is, a nice little radio that looks cool, does an ok job and is easy to use and carry. As long as you don't expect it to be a high performance DXing machine with great booming sound you will probably be satisfied. I am for less than $50 including shipping on ebay.

CLYDEMCCLARAN Rating: 2/5 Dec 28, 2004 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice looking, but quality needs help  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this one on the basis of casing and ergonomic design and ease of travel. These features warrants a superior rating; however, superiority ends there. Performance needs remedial help. Shortwave has serious imaging/selectivity problems, it does not pick up that well fairly strong stations such as the BBC or VOA, and only has twenty memories covering all bands (10SW, 5AM, 5FM). The AM and FM bands receive better, but still not that good as the radio does not pull in weaker stations. My opinion: take a pass on this one! I returned mine to the store for a refund.

KF4AR Rating: 2/5 Aug 13, 2003 17:06 Send this review to a friend
More Yugo than Porsche  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a P2000 at Radio Shack in the spring of 2003 at a close out price. It was pitiful on all bands. It failed to pull in the local AM station 7 miles away, failed to hear all but the loudest SW stations, and was very insensitive on FM. The FM was also plagued by bad images, and I live in a rural area. I can't imagine trying to use it in an urban setting. The processor noise was very disturbing. I would like to think this was a good design ruined by cost cutting measures. Grundig should've spent as much on the radio as they did the cowhide cover and Porsche designed case. I guess after paying royalties to Porsche for the use of their name, there wasn't much money left over for circuitry. A good case of a pig in a tutu. I sold mine on eBay for what I paid for it. I sold mine on eBay for what I paid for it.

I give it a 5 for styling and looks and a 0 for performance. Save your money.