Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-35A Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-35A
Astron RS-35A Reviews: 97 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $150.00
Description: 13.8 volt 25 amp continuous 35 amp peek rated Power Supply
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-35A.

AG6QR Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2017 23:02 Send this review to a friend
Minor QC issue, but solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is what everyone says it is: Big heavy, and RF-quiet. I bought mine new from HRO in February of 2017. Being curious, I took off the cover to take a peek inside, and found that the main capacitor and the regulator board were floating around loose in the cabinet! There was a clamp to hold the capacitor securely to the cabinet floor, but the screw had never been tightened on that clamp, and the capacitor had fallen out of its clamp during shipping. It was a simple fix, and it hadn't caused any problems, but it shouldn't have escaped from the factory like that. There are exposed terminals that could short out if things are allowed to rattle around loose inside there. I'm also not really crazy about the use of two diode bridges in parallel with no effort to equalize the load between them. I may substitute a single higher-rated diode bridge one of these days. But the good news is that there is ample documentation on how to maintain these simple supplies, and I expect mine to last a very long time with minimal care. I don't plan on drawing much more than 25 amps peak out of mine, so it should run cool and outlast me.

WA6KYR Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2015 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Great lasting supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had another manufacturer supply fail about 20 years ago so I picked up an Astron 35A. It still works fine, just turn it on and forget about it.
No problems.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2015 14:31 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up 4 of the old style 35M supplies at a county surplus auction years ago. One has been running my shack 24/7/365 for over 15 years now. A second one has been running my UHF MASTR II repeater for 7 years 24/7/365. The other 2 are spares and get used once in a while just to keep the electrons from leaking out of them. I have a couple of the 30amp switchers but nothing beats the heavy iron for solid operations!!

AA7LX Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2015 21:54 Send this review to a friend
The Best Power Supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received the RS 35A today! It is big and heavy(27 lbs.)! Didn't look inside; however, it sits square and flat on the rubber feet and nothing shaking inside! Wow! What a difference from MFJ. I'm glad I took other Hams advice and also did Research here on eHam Reviews. First turn on: 13.8v on 400v scale digital; after 10 minutes: 13.7v on 400v scale digital. Haven't "installed" yet at Station location, however, I'm really glad I spent the money for this Astron 35A. Very-well made and rock-solid case. I agree: You won't be disappointed! I'm not. Buy it! Not necessary to have meters/don't want to worry about them going out -or- flickering. Like another reviewer said, "It's sexy...". My advice: Buy it! Down the road I will do another review while in operation. Buy it-- it's built like a tank!

N7WE Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2015 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Legendary!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine used for $50 many years ago. I have no idea how old it is, but it just does what it is supposed to do, day in and day out. Outlasted lots of good ham equipment!

Is it light and easily portable like the switchers? No. Does it have sexy meters? No. Is it the latest technology? No. Was it made in China, Taiwan, or Japan? No, no, and no.

Rock solid and never a problem. Made in the USA. The stuff of legends.

G3UXB Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2015 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Astron 35A 12V supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am amazed the RS-35A has not been listed before, I think the meters are rather redundant, this is the go to power supply for all the 100 watt radios on the market, massive transformer, over rated components, it will survive the operator I am sure. I would not power my radios with anything but an Astron

K8NY Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2014 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Supply - fantastic longevity  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this one for 16 years. After a near field lightning induction had to replace Q2 (TIP29). Still runs continuously!

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2014 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Heavy Iron champ  Time owned: more than 12 months
RS-35A older used supply in use now. Quiet, no audible hum in SSB, very small low hum sound in 100W CW key down. Just sets there and runs the rig correctly without drawing attention. Also have had RS-20A in past, it managed to run 100W rigs without complaint, although that might be pushing it. Had the small no meters Astron switcher before. Was afraid of potential RFI besides the annoying little fan noises but it was not making any RFI when compared to the RS-35, after all. Functionally perfect. NOTE! The heavy iron Astrons have a big magnetic field and may induce hum in some mics if they are within a foot or two if you keep them up on the table. Read reviews of current production models and decide if you might like vintage better, and save money, also.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2014 16:46 Send this review to a friend
the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
ive owned a rs35a since 2003.. no issues at all to power a 100 watt radio and a few meters,2 meter radio...on many times 5 days a week 24/5..ive tried other brands too.. samlex,alinco,and the ever crappy pyramid.... none are as reliable and heavy duty like the astron.... i own 3 rs 20a also for some other goodies,never a issue there too..

K5REZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2014 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Do it right the first time - Buy an Astron  Time owned: more than 12 months
Workhorses that are built to last. Operate with confidence. Why skimp on the power supply? Don't!