Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS 35A Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS 35A
Astron RS 35A Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $150.00
Description: 13.8 volt 25 amp continuous 35 amp peek rated Power Supply

You can write your own review of the Astron RS 35A.

KN4X Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2012 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Solid and Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Powered HF rigs, VHF/UHF, as well as other items in the shack without a single hiccup. Worth every penny. Would buy again in a minute.
WB6ZRP Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2011 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Extremely reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had it since 1972. That is almost 40 years. It has been on ever since. It has powered all my HF rigs over the years plus all my VHF/UHF rigs at the same time. Regulation is great. It is very quite and reliable. No RF problems. What else can I say, get one and keep it. I'll get another when it goes dead.
N8MRC Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 11:39 Send this review to a friend
workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new 15 years ago right after I got my ticket. I've used it in the shack, at field day's, special event stations and it keeps going. I did have the switch go out on me last week, so I just hard wired it, I don't use the switch anyways
WB6ZRP Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2011 21:53 Send this review to a friend
Totaly reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had it on since 1975, except for power outages. When power came back on I can hear the thunk! It comes on and stays on. It has powered all my 100 watt trancievers over the years along with other 12 volt equipment. Including a couple of VHF/UHF mobile trancievers, all at the same time. Voltage regulation is per spec. If it ever goes out I'd get another. It's worth every cent.
W8COP Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2011 17:57 Send this review to a friend
What a Beast !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 35a for 15 years.I recently dropped it,and thought it was toast. It powered right up.What a great piece of gear !!!
K7NSW Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2011 07:23 Send this review to a friend
IN-RUSH DEVICE NEEDED  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using this one plus other Astron units for over 30 years. Very reliable and deliver as specified. BUT, my first one was their big 50 amp unit. It got to clanking due to current inrush at turn on. I should have installed an inrush delay device but did not. Wish I had done so. Now my Astron power supplies (I won't buy any other brand) have one protecting them. A good investment. Astron supplies "take a licking and keep on ticking". Just like tube type hf amplifiers.
N6WIN Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2011 00:09 Send this review to a friend
Old Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one since 2002 and my father since the mid-90's. They are used daily. His powers his VHF/UHF radios, FT-950, band decoder, and relay box. Mine is used for a VHF/UHF radio, power meter, band decoder, and relay box.

I can't complain as each of them continues to work as expected. Both are plugged into surge protectors and also work while being plugged into a wall outlet.

Heat has not been an issue, no repairs needed.
VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2011 17:10 Send this review to a friend
the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
ive had a 35a for 8 yrs now with no issues,runs alot of gear. i mimic all the good things about this power supplky. you cannot find a better company then astron. the 35a will power your rig and lots of other gear no problem...............
K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2011 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Best $167.76 that I ever spent!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought mine from R & L Electronics in Hamilton, Ohio on November 30, 2010.

The only time that I have shut it off, is when I am not in the shack...or in the unlikely event that the power does go out.

The reviews are right. It is a tank. Heavy as lead too! It powers my little Radio Shack HTX-242 just fine.

Does it get warm? When I get very long winded on 2 meters; she gets a little bit toasty. But they all do this.

These things are built by people that know what power supplies are supposed to be built like. Thinking of getting a Pyramid? Spend the extra money and get the Astron. You'll be glad you did.

Take it from an old timer, who's been a ham now since 1989. Astron IS the best.

If only they made a 100 amp version.....

73 de Chuck K8CPA
Lincoln Park, Michigan

KK5JY Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2010 22:52 Send this review to a friend
A tank.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned, used, and probably abused several of these. They are incredibly sturdy, although they are somewhat heavy, like all linear supplies. An amateur of moderate soldering skills can repair one. I have never needed to do that, but I've seen units hit by lightning repaired with ease.

The heatsink gets very warm under near-design-limit loads. A fan would be nice, but I have also never had a failure, even with lots of transmit hours on them. So maybe my concept of warm is not actually warm to the pass transistors. They seem quite happy to operate that way.

I have done the battery-float-charge mod you can find on the web. One source is here:

This worked quite well for me, but I also fuse and double fuse everything, just in case, especially around batteries.

If you buy one new, get the version with the meters. The cost is almost identical, but having the extra feedback is really nice, especially when you load one heavily.

The light compact switching supplies are nice, but if you have the space, it's hard to go wrong with one of these. You can find them used very inexpensively, especially now that reliable switching supplies are common.