Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS 35A Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS 35A
Astron RS 35A Reviews: 88 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $150.00
Description: 13.8 volt 25 amp continuous 35 amp peek rated Power Supply
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com

You can write your own review of the Astron RS 35A.

K7NSW Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2011 07:23 Send this review to a friend
IN-RUSH DEVICE NEEDED  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using this one plus other Astron units for over 30 years. Very reliable and deliver as specified. BUT, my first one was their big 50 amp unit. It got to clanking due to current inrush at turn on. I should have installed an inrush delay device but did not. Wish I had done so. Now my Astron power supplies (I won't buy any other brand) have one protecting them. A good investment. Astron supplies "take a licking and keep on ticking". Just like tube type hf amplifiers.

N6WIN Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2011 00:09 Send this review to a friend
Old Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one since 2002 and my father since the mid-90's. They are used daily. His powers his VHF/UHF radios, FT-950, band decoder, and relay box. Mine is used for a VHF/UHF radio, power meter, band decoder, and relay box.

I can't complain as each of them continues to work as expected. Both are plugged into surge protectors and also work while being plugged into a wall outlet.

Heat has not been an issue, no repairs needed.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2011 17:10 Send this review to a friend
the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
ive had a 35a for 8 yrs now with no issues,runs alot of gear. i mimic all the good things about this power supplky. you cannot find a better company then astron. the 35a will power your rig and lots of other gear no problem...............

K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2011 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Best $167.76 that I ever spent!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought mine from R & L Electronics in Hamilton, Ohio on November 30, 2010.

The only time that I have shut it off, is when I am not in the shack...or in the unlikely event that the power does go out.

The reviews are right. It is a tank. Heavy as lead too! It powers my little Radio Shack HTX-242 just fine.

Does it get warm? When I get very long winded on 2 meters; she gets a little bit toasty. But they all do this.

These things are built by people that know what power supplies are supposed to be built like. Thinking of getting a Pyramid? Spend the extra money and get the Astron. You'll be glad you did.

Take it from an old timer, who's been a ham now since 1989. Astron IS the best.

If only they made a 100 amp version.....

73 de Chuck K8CPA
Lincoln Park, Michigan
USA

KK5JY Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2010 22:52 Send this review to a friend
A tank.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned, used, and probably abused several of these. They are incredibly sturdy, although they are somewhat heavy, like all linear supplies. An amateur of moderate soldering skills can repair one. I have never needed to do that, but I've seen units hit by lightning repaired with ease.

The heatsink gets very warm under near-design-limit loads. A fan would be nice, but I have also never had a failure, even with lots of transmit hours on them. So maybe my concept of warm is not actually warm to the pass transistors. They seem quite happy to operate that way.

I have done the battery-float-charge mod you can find on the web. One source is here:

This worked quite well for me, but I also fuse and double fuse everything, just in case, especially around batteries.

If you buy one new, get the version with the meters. The cost is almost identical, but having the extra feedback is really nice, especially when you load one heavily.

The light compact switching supplies are nice, but if you have the space, it's hard to go wrong with one of these. You can find them used very inexpensively, especially now that reliable switching supplies are common.

KX9RJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2010 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Works great; must plug directly into the wall.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my RS-35A for about 20 years, and it works great! But here is a situation I ran into:

When I re-arranged my station, I moved the AC plug from the wall to a power strip. I got really bad reports on my audio, and could see my HF radio dimming its display every time I talked. I plugged a newer switching supply into the AC wall socket and did not have this problem. I returned back to the Astron, but plugged it into the AC wall socket like it was before, and it worked fine again.

I figured using a power strip was limiting the input power being supplied to the Astron, even though it was marked as being able to handle the current I needed. So, always plug this unit directly into the wall, and you will get decades of great service.

VE7IEF Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2010 09:37 Send this review to a friend
16 Years of Reliable Use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've own my RS-35A for 16 years, and never had a problem with it. Sure; there is a hum, but with soft material under the existing rubber feet, much of it will be diminished.
Great value for the price you pay for one of these power supplies!
de VE7 IEF
Stan

N7TML Rating: 2/5 Mar 7, 2010 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Voltage Control Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Twice in the past three years the output voltage started varying between 12.6 and 15.5 volts. With the key down there was an additional 1.4 volt drop. During the first three years it was a rock solid unit but don't think I'll replace it with another Astron.

N3ALN Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2010 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Love it!...Must Have!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Rock solid and I can always count on it. I would never get rid of it. Zero problems.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2010 14:38 Send this review to a friend
"The Rock"  Time owned: more than 12 months
As Bob Seger used to say..."Like a Rock...". I bought this jewel at a yard sale back around 1982. It has been installed at many QTHs and been modified by me, many times. I have added cooling fans, Volt and Amp Meters, remote voltage adjust, etc.
It has never complained. About 2 months ago, I was using it in parallel with a large deep-cycle Marine battery. My 2 Meter SS brick draws too many amps for the Astron. NO PROBLEM. Unfortunately, there was a fire down the street and my AC went out. This killed the 35A. However, there is a ton of great info at "repeater-builder.com" about Astrons. This failure is a common one using the external battery when the AC drops.
To make a LONG story short, I could not fix the P/S no matter what I did. I replaced every thing but the transformer and covers!
I had an issue with my VOM and the problem was two fold:
1. using transistors I bought off of ePay from China for cheap
2. all 4 of the Emitter resistors were open.

In desperation, I called Astron. Although he was a little bit difficult to understand, the Tech helped me find the trouble pretty quick. Yes, I did repair that VOM also!! ha ha

Neither of these are the fault of the P/S. It's now running with a set of HD transistors.

ron