Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | W8FYO Single Lever Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for W8FYO Single Lever Paddle
W8FYO Single Lever Paddle Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $300
Description: Manufactured in the 1960's by W8FYO, this paddle is the ultimate in single lever paddles.

You can write your own review of the W8FYO Single Lever Paddle.

K4OF Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2009 08:30 Send this review to a friend
A+++++  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have worn out two FYO paddles. I then
purchased a Bencher single lever paddle, there is no comparison. The FYO finger paddle moves up and down for the best feel. Mine was adjusted so blowing on it would activate. I used talcum powder on my fingers for high speed (50-70) WPM. Now I use a Vibroplex Original and Blue Racer in addition to the keyer.

WB0SND Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2009 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Best Paddle I've had  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have many paddles. Vibroplex, Bencher, W9WBL, Kent, March, and even a $500 Begali Graciella. However, my favorite is by far the original FYO paddle. I got my first set at Dayton a few years ago. There was no badge, but I was pretty sure it was authentic (got it cheap!). It was. I now own 2 of them, the second of which has a badge. I don't know why and I can't explain it, but I send better on these paddles than any other I've tried....and I've tried a lot of them. My sending is much more accurate than with the others. And that is really the proof of the pudding, isn't it? It's in the eating! They aren't without their problems, however. On both of them sometimes I have problems with losing the dit side. I have to mess around with the position of the contacts to fix it. It's minor, however.

K2YWE Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2003 10:12 Send this review to a friend
No better paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
The W8FYO paddle has s superb feel and is unparalleled in holding close adjustment over time and heavy use. It has very fine contact spacing, overall tension, and side-to-side tension ratio adjustments. I have never come across a better padddle. Joe Hills made my single-lever paddle for me in the mid sixties, and I still use it today. It it his invention and patent, in both single and split ring configurations, that Bencher paddles imitate in a rather mediocre way.
If you find one for sale and do not buy it, let me know! I'd love to have another.

W3LPL Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2003 20:37 Send this review to a friend
The ultimate high speed paddle from the 1960's  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one of these when I was in high school, and it's been my favorite ever since. I couldn't believe my eyes when my pal K3NA spotted a mint W8FYO paddle at the 2003 Dayton Hamvention. As Eric described it, he had never seen me pull my wallet out so quickly before. Even better, the asking price was only $75. I've never seen a W8FYO paddle offered for sale at 25 prior Dayton Hamventions and hundreds of other hamfests.

W9TM Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2003 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Manufactured by W8FYO in the 1960's, the FYO paddle is the ultimate for smooth single lever action. I've purchased almost every paddle made since then but always go back to the FYO. A knock-off by HAL of Urbana, Illinois and the Bencher single lever paddle (hard to find) are both close seconds, but don't quite cut it. If you ever see one, grab it.