Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Comet CA-HV HF mobile antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CA-HV HF mobile antenna
Comet CA-HV HF mobile antenna Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $159.99
Description: 40/15/10/6/2m/70cm Mobile Antenna - Model UHV-6
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Comet CA-HV HF mobile antenna.

WB0GAZ Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2015 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Long-term maintenance  Time owned: more than 12 months
After putting Comet CA-HV back into service this year (have had it since ~1999?) it developed a perceptible intermittent behavior (receive "warble" and inconsistent transmit SWR) on 20M (L-14 resonator). Eventually found out that the threaded fasteners going into the bottom *and* top resonator ends had been factory assembled with some kind of thread locker that had since disintegrated into white dust. I didn't even realize there was a threaded fitting on the top of the resonator until I found it loose (it appears to be a single piece; it is actually two pieces with 5mm threaded attachment.)

Unscrewed both ends (will see 5mm threaded hole in both top and bottom resonator ends), cleaned the threads, and re-asssembled using copper anti-seize lubricant (permatex 39772; henkel loctite makes a similar product). This restored the antenna to as-new performance.

The upper-end threaded interface applies only to CA-HV series resonators with the larger (~1/2" diameter) body - L3.5, L7, L14, L18 (MHz.) The thinner (higher-frequency) resonators have a single-piece upper end; the bottom end is the same for both types.

K5UI Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2010 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Antenna performance issues have been well-covered by other reviewers. I am definately satisfied with performance I get from the antenna.

Customer service from Comet has been outstanding. I lost a couple of parts on the road and received replacements - at no cost - from Mike in less than a week!

Jim, K5UI

G0ISW Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2008 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Never let me down  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this aerial for many years now mounted on my 4x4 vehicle.

I have the 40m, 20m, 15m, & 10m coils and regularly use this aerial as well on 6m & 2m with my Icom 706 Mk2 and matching Icom AT-180 tuner.

I haven't experienced any of the problems that other users here have expressed.

The aerial has performed as expected for me and the only reason I haven't given it 5 out of 5 is because it doesn't cover the 18 & 24 MHz bands and it can be necessary to stop the vehicle to change bands.

However I use the supplied spare coil mount and that allows me 2 HF bands simoultaneously with 6m & 2m.

Regards

Philip G0ISW

KD5XB Rating: 3/5 Jun 14, 2008 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Great for 6 & 2, so-so for HF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the CA-HV for perhaps 7 or 8 years now. When new, I lost one of the HF coils on the highway, due to the set screws loosening up.

I've operated on 6 & 2 meters with great results, too. Even MS on 6 at one point!

But yesterday, when using this antenna on 40 meters, with my Icom 706MK2G, the 40-meter coil apparently burned up. SWR suddenly went sky-high, and my 40-meter operations were over. Well, at least I made a few 6-meter contacts today with it. It's a great dual-band antenna.

W8ATT Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2005 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Good all around antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a CA-UHV used and have loved it since day one. I have the 80, 40, 20, 17, 15, 10 meter coils and have worked each band with good results. Obviously you have to be stationary or have a guy of some kind using the 80m coil but all others work fine mobile on my 2004 Silverado and Yaesu FT-100D, Diamond duplexer, Diamond mount. I've had good reports as far as the Canary Islands from Michigan on 17m. You have to realize that this antenna's trying to do it all so sure it won't work as good as a monoband antenna but for what its made for it works excellent. Only complaint if any would be when running the 17m coil the 6m swr goes high in the FM portion. Comet said this was because the antenna wasn't intially made for 17 in Japan. All other coils or W/O a coil 6m swr is fine.

KB5BS Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2004 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent after minor problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I first installed the antenna on my 2001 VW Beetle parts worked loose. I had mutiple problems to resolve. The fist was to stablize the antenna using 20lb. fishing line. The other was static and poor performancec on UHF and VHF. I found that the center pin joining the base and the Antenna had become open. It worked well on HF but static was higher then I liked. After returning the base back to comet/NCG (fixed out of warrenty for shipping cost)The static went down and the UHF and VHF startedd to work well. I have now been using the antenna for 8 months after the repair with excellent reports on HF, VHF and UHF. I am also lowering the antenna daily at work since I park in a parking garage and have had minimal problems.

G0MJW Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2004 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two, one is the UHF version, but I lack the UHF coil. It is great to take on holiday and it has been to many exotic locations.

Since 11/9/2001 I have cut the main pole of one of them in half and made a brass coupler to join it back together. The reason for this is to make it fit in a suitcase now it is not possible to carry as hand luggage.

I usually use it on a boot mount (trunk for the colonials) on the rental car and guy it with thin rope. This is necessary. It works as well as can be expected from a small HF antenna, though interference from the petrol pump is an issue. It is always necessary to ensure a good short ground connection at the base mount of any mobile HF antenna. Not doing this is probably the reason for some of the poor reviews. The capacitance from a magnetic mount is not suficient unless it has a very large contact area.

I have found it best to limit the number of band coils mounted to two. At 80MPH you do not want it to be too heavy at the top, even when guyed.

I disagree with the comment that 3mm screws are difficult to get hold of. They are universal around here. It is the old fashioned imperial stuff that is hard to get!

KB9WCT Rating: 3/5 Jan 18, 2002 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice package for compact cars  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the CA-HV used with 40, 20, and 10 meter coils. I have all three mounted. I get good reports every time I use it. I have worked Japan, Ukraine, Estonia, etc. with a barefoot Icom 706. I run an MFJ 945E tuner and the Diamond duplexer. The bandwidth is narrow but that is a result of the coil sizes. 10 meter bandwidth is great and I bypass the tuner. Six meter tuning is tricky. 2 meter performance is good but looseness in the mast base causes static crashes and noise while on the fringe area of repeaters. I thought about getting an autotuner but I think a High Sierra Screwdriver is in the future since I have a full size pickup. I solved the setscrew problem by drilling and tapping the holes for #6-32 stainless setscrews. I added an extra setscrew lower down on the base. I replaced the jam nuts on the coils with stainless hex nuts and I carry a 6mm wrench with me. All of the parts came from the parts bin at True Value Hardware. Be sure to get STAINLESS. I ground a flat area on the mast where the setscrews bite in. No more looseness! I think this antenna will find a home on my wifes car. It will make a good 2 meter antenna and I can add the coils if we decide to take the car on a trip.

N9IWJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2001 01:02 Send this review to a friend
Comet CA-UHV  Time owned: more than 12 months
This Antenna is Top Shelf, I've used it for about 18 Months now and it's just Fantastic, interesting reading on some of the other comments , here's what I found . Yes with all Antenna's after You tune them put threadlock on all screws to keep it tuned and with this antenna You MUST tune the UHF coil, slide it up and down, and a good idea to mark it with a small piece of tape and the coils (all) must be tuned out of the box they are terrible, but and hour with the bird meter and tuning coils on am side, this antenna is better than excellent. If I can hear them I can talk to them and excellent signal reports, By the way make sure You don't put threadlock on the fold down threads, I put a litle silicone paste on this, because I have to fold it down to get it into the garage, and I Guy it with a small piece of fishing line to the window, glue on a wiring cable holder with silicone glue to the window for this, This antenna is heavy and this eliminates the strain on the mount, Happy Dxing, Bob

KQ6YQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2001 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Great After Market Support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Haven't used the antenna that much in the past but when I started installing it on a new vehicle I couldn't find the instructions needed to remind me how/where to mount and tune the coils and stingers for optimum SWR. I wrote an eMail to the people at Comet/NCG and received a nice eMail back from Mike Stwertnik within 24 hours and the instructions in the mail three days later - no charge. Good Company to deal with when you need help! As for the problem other folks seem to have with keeping the allen screws tight; use a tiny drop of Lock-Tite before you torque them the last time after tuning/assembling them. I do with all of my antennas and I've never had a problem with loosening/falling apart.