Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Radio Shack 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Switching Pwer Supply Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Switching Pwer Supply
Radio Shack 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Switching Pwer Supply Reviews: 25 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $$110. ON SALE FOR $ 60
Description: 13.8 Volt 25 Amp compact Switching Power Supply designed for Radios so little RFI is produced.
More info: http://WWW.RADIOSHACK.COM

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Switching Pwer Supply.

N0CPT Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2013 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Very good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine in May of 08. I have never had any RFI problems. My vhf/uhf sits on top on the PS and my hf is right next to it. I did have a problem with fan noise but I corrected that by adjusting the tension of the four screws that hold the fan housing to the PS case.

W0JIG Rating: 3/5 Feb 6, 2012 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Short life.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the power supply for a couple of years before it started arching. Used it with my FT-897D and worked well while it lasted.

N3OQD Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2012 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Overview  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up one of the last of these at a local Radio Shack for about $90. Had it in my closet for almost three years. Just used it on occasion to charge my neighbour's car battery due to a "vampire" trickle discharge. Well the car was eventually repaired last year and this unit remained in my closet collecting dust. Recently, I needed more space on my den computer desk and the Pyramid rack PS was just too big. So, I worked the RS power supply in and so far it is doing well keeping my large 100ah battery charged and running my 2m 440 FM radio. I also have a dedicated Astron linear PS for my HF radio on the other side of the den. In this, each serves its best purpose. So far no problems with the RS switcher. Just wish that it had a small amp meter and this is why I give it a 4 rating.

AA1IK Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2010 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Reliable, No Hash, No RFI  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this power supply used from a ham radio buddie in 2005, its been used portable (in my camper for 4 years) and is still doing good work now in December of 2010.

I'm feel sorry for those who got a lemon, but this one is good. Must be luck of the draw!

VA3TO Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2008 07:18 Send this review to a friend
No problem with mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned 2 of these supplies for over 4 years, one of them is powering my FT-847 for moonbounce operation and I have no complaints about noise.

W4HLN Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2008 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Still Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wound up with 2 more of these supplies still new in the box on a trade a month ago....I'm selling one and keeping one. Still a great supply and still going strong! Two are more than a year old and still work like new!

W4HLN Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2008 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Power Suipply!  Time owned: more than 12 months
No Problems and has worked great over a year now!

I got 2 of em for 70$ each since my son worked there a short time while in college!

No Birdies - No RFI - No Problems!

Ernie / W4HLN

K8KAS Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2007 08:39 Send this review to a friend
Must be deaf or dead  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you have not heard the birdies when on 75m or 160m from the 1223 supply you must be deaf. I have installed the output filter suggested on the WEB and reduced the birdies 30 or 40 db, but you can still hear them. They no longer bug me now.
I have 3 of these supplies and they all have the problem/birdies. You hear the switching frequency
harmonics from the osc. switching circuit. Disconnect the antenna and sweep the bands and you will hear them for sure.

K1CJS Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2007 03:37 Send this review to a friend
No RFI here  Time owned: more than 12 months
It seems that the RFI issue is hit or miss--the supply I have produces none at all, and its running a Kenwood TS-130SE HF rig. There is no appreciable difference in noise levels between this supply and a Pyramid linear supply I also have--if anything the Pyramid supply is noisier!

I've run both a VHF unit (RS HX 242) and the Kenwood off this supply at the same time without heating the supply up too much. I'm very happy and pleased with this Samlex designed supply.

KE6TNN Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2007 19:14 Send this review to a friend
no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for several years; buying it on sale for $60.

I have never noticed any problems with noise that others report. Perhaps I've been lucky. The fan is indeed somewhat loud, but is not that objectionable.

It has stood up well, including seven months in the Iraqi desert, where power fluctuations, dust, and high heat were commonplace.