Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Radio Shack 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Switching Pwer Supply Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Switching Pwer Supply
Radio Shack 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Switching Pwer Supply Reviews: 25 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $$110. ON SALE FOR $ 60
Description: 13.8 Volt 25 Amp compact Switching Power Supply designed for Radios so little RFI is produced.
More info: http://WWW.RADIOSHACK.COM

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Switching Pwer Supply.

KE4RWS Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2007 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Great for VHF/UHF Rigs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned two of these supplies for fours years now and they work great for VHF/UHF operation. Most of the problems outlined here seem to revolve around using this supply with an HF rig (and sometimes 6-meter operation).

It appears fairly clear this power supply should work fine with VHF/UHF radio systems but beware if HF is your following. Switching supplies traditionally have not fared well in the world of HF radio equipment.

I love the two supplies I bought. But then again I don't operate HF, which seems to be the dividing point in whether or not to use this product.

KG6POG Rating: 2/5 Jun 16, 2007 20:27 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two both bought at the sell price, and while one still works and doesn't cause any interferrance on any of the bands. The first died with very light use, not more than a few hours. I was using it to power my 2 meter FM radio, but had two in case I needed a back up power source for my Kenwood which requires 42 amps for peak performance.

Over all you get what you pay for, and I would be afraid to have only this as a primary power source.

N1RIK Rating: 2/5 Feb 28, 2007 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Not ment for HF  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I snatched up this supply because I needing something for my Icom 706MkIIG, and it was $65 on ebay. Big mistake!! I didn't seem to have problems on 2m or 70cm, but 6m and down was clusted with noise. I was given a Tripp-Lite 25 amp supply by KR4RF after he explained his displeasure of switching power supplies, and WALLA!!! The noise was back to normal levels, and had less than an S1 of noise on 17m,10m, and 6m with the preamp on. I may end up using this supply for the 2m repeater if I add an amplifier to it. But unfortunatly when Radio Shack put onto the package that it was great for HAM radio, they didn't say "..great for Ham radio above 54 MHz." Lesson learned.

WB1AAT Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2006 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Good value but hit or miss  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This supply is great for the money but getting that RFI problem is hit or miss. I've had two. The first one, at first try generated a S8 RFI noise on 10,15,20,40,and 80M. Got rid on that one. The second one working like a charm so far. No noise at all.

KS4HY Rating: 0/5 Jul 4, 2006 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Stay away! RFI from this power supply is terrible!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am really sorry I purchased this power supply. It generates so much RFI that it completely wipes out my receiver on 10 meters. I attempted to use a Kenwood TS-450sat with this power supply and it was futile. With the Kenwood 450 hooked to the Radio Shack power supply I had an S9 noise level. I unhooked the Radio Shack power supply and hooked up an Astron RS-20M power supply. My noise level dropped to S3. Do not buy this power supply to use with an HF radio. It is will render your receiver unusable.

KC5RMR Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2006 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Very good power supply for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Astron SS 30M and it is a very good switching power supply, the fan comes on only when the supply is getting warm. I have the Radio Shack 25 Amp switching Suppy in line currently and the fan noise is the same noise you get from a desk top computer. I cut the red fan wire and placed two 100 ohm 1 watt metal oxide resistors in parallel between the cut red fan wire. The fan voltage drops a little which makes the fan noise go way down. The fan still blows hard enough to keep the power supply nice and cool. The fan is pulling air in through the vent in the side and blowing the air out the back so dropping the voltage will not harm the cooling of the heat sink in the supply. ( PUTTING THE RESISTOR IN SERIES WITH THE RED FAN WIRE WILL DROP THE VOLTAGE A LITTLE AND THE FAN NOISE GOES AWAY.) The two 100 ohm resistors in parallel makes a 2 watt 50 ohm resistor.

KC0NDR Rating: 3/5 Oct 22, 2005 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Just OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
For VHF & UHF it is a fine power supply. For 6 Meter and HF Listening I get S8 or S9 noise from this power supply. The fan is louder than the fan on a MFJ 4035 (borrowed). Tried to move from 2ft from radio to 8ft and still had the hash on HF & 6M. For the price if you can find one it will only do for VHF & UHF for me!!

73's To All

K3GIL Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2005 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I now own two of these power supplies and they both work fine. The air flow is somewhat audible but not objectionable. I power an Icom 706MKIIG with one and some VHF/UHF radios and battery chargers with the other. No RFI. For the money and with their small size these 12 volt power supplies are a great value.

K4IDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2005 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Works like a charm  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Couldn't resist the sale price, so bought it and have been thoroughly satisfied in all aspects. No noise on any bands and it sits within 12" of my rig! Construction is typical Radio Shack build, so I can't knock it for that as I expected that. If you can get it on sale and don't won't to invest in a high price PS, give it a try.

N5BO Rating: 1/5 May 6, 2005 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Not worth buying  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really not much to say about this power supply. The fan is very loud, and the unit puts out a lot of RF hash on HF/6M.

I would stay away from this unit if you want to hear weak signals on the bands.