Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Radio Shack Switching 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Supply Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack Switching 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Supply
Radio Shack Switching 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Supply Reviews: 64 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $110 on sale 60
Description: Compact , lightweight 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Power Supply.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack Switching 13.8 Volt 25 Amp Supply.

KD6CPA Rating: 2/5 Nov 1, 2008 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Crapped out after a year  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this as my 1st PS for my 1st 100w HF rig, as it was easily available at the local Radio Sh*t. Worked OK for a couple of months, no problems, no noise, birdies or anything else. Then scored an Astron 35M, so the R/S went to backup. Pulled it out to use on a portable station about 15 mos after purchase, and it was deader than a doornail...

If you can wait for it to arrive at your door, buy an Astron!! Sme money +/- a few bucks for an equivalent switching PS, but more dependable!!

KE5KJL Rating: 3/5 Mar 1, 2008 02:22 Send this review to a friend
Not bad, not great either  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this supply just over a year and have had a similar issue with noise. Took KB1OEY's advice and it fixed it right up. One thing I had to do in addition was unbolt the ground wire on the AC side and remove paint beneath it(!), I guess it wasn't masked when the case was painted. I don't notice the fan while it's running, but when you turn it off you realize just how noisy it is!

KI4ARQ Rating: 2/5 Mar 23, 2007 05:09 Send this review to a friend
Fas Noise Here  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had this PS for about a year. It is indeed noisy. I have six different power supplies and this is by far the worse. Have no problem with a fan running continuously. But fans should be unnoticeable. Other than the fan noise, the PS works fine with my VHF/UHF rigs.

AE6CP Rating: 3/5 Mar 23, 2007 00:14 Send this review to a friend
Works FB after some mods  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine had a nasty S9 level hash exactly every 100KC's. I opened it up and decieded I would either fix it or buy a new linear supply from Astron. I got in the junk box and found a 1.0uF Metalized Film cap (rs part#272-1055) and two red torroids but didn't know their composition. I opened up the power supply and ran the output wires through the torroids six times each (I replaced the dual 14ga wires with single 10ga wires from the circuit board to the binding posts, plus I soldered them instead of using the connectors) I then grounded the negative output to the case, as well as the positive output through the capacitor to the same point. (I just drilled a small hole in the bottom of the enclosure near the output terminals and used a small screw and nut) I also sanded the paint off all surfaces where the chassis screws hold the top to the bottom.

The noise is completely gone!!!
Thank you KB1OEY for the great advice in your review!!! It worked perfectly!

KB1OEY Rating: 3/5 Dec 28, 2006 09:48 Send this review to a friend
needs filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like this power supply because of its size and price- but the "scream" every 100 KHz on HF is quite annoying (this power supply is just fine as is for VHF). But it can be fixed:

1. sand off (by hand with sandpaper) the powdercoat paint on the inside seams of the cover and base (including the edge of sheet metal of the base) so that they are in electrical contact with each other when the cover is screwed on. This is a big pain and makes quite a mess. If only Radio Shack had masked these areas before painting...

2. add common mode choke to power output: run the big black and red wires going to the terminals through a ferrite core. You can pull the tabs off the circuit board to do this- you don't have to unsolder the wires.

3. ground the black output terminal (after the choke) to the chassis- I just ran a wire from the terminal to the closest corner so that cover holds the wire to the sanded chassis.

4. rf ground (through a 1 uF capacitor) the red terminal to the same point on the chassis that you grounded the black terminal.

This reduces the S8+ squeal to almost nothing.

N5EAT Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2006 17:46 Send this review to a friend
So far - so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these to avoid the shipping delay on something else (pretty poor reason actually..). I was surprised at how light this supply is.

The only thing i've noticed about this supply is that the voltage drops from 13.7 to 13.2 at 100 watt full keydown. It never drops below at that even at full FM load. I also accidently shorted
out the terminals while tightening one of the lugs against the wire. The unit shut itself off (fan went off, but unit was still lit up). After power off and on - it picked right back up.

My gripes are that the power lugs are a bit too close together and I'd really like a cigarette plug adapter. Some have griped about the fan noise. This is one of the quietest fans i've heard except those on some video cards, etc. A complete non-issue. Most of the fans (if not all) on my rigs are much louder.

K4IDX Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2005 17:53 Send this review to a friend
No problems, great PS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had mine for about 3 months now and have had absolutely NO problems! I thought I'd give it a shot rather than spending twice the money for a new Astron and so far it has prooved a wise move. The fan does have some noise, but I'm not nearly that picky! As I said in my summary, no problems and it's a great power supply...so far:)

N0RQ Rating: 1/5 Mar 17, 2005 10:51 Send this review to a friend
broke, not fixable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine during the big sale of 2003 for $60 new. Its only purpose was for a backup supply, or for the occasional trip somewhere.

I used it for maybe a week once, just to break it in, then I put it up on the shelf. A few months ago, my main supply (an Astron linear) needed a few parts replaced, so I went to put this one in service. It operated briefly, then the voltage started fluctuating wildly, up/down/up/down, every few seconds. So, back to RS it went. Their repair department said they were not able to fix it, "part T90107 is no longer available". This is a varistor (V14K230), and though I attempted to locate one, I couldn't find one either.

My complaint to Radio Shack customer service ended up with their offer of a couple of $10 RS certificates, or they would charge me $40 for a new power supply. I figured I didn't really need another unfixable supply, so I opted for the $20.

As far as I know, RS is still selling these (~$100), and if that part breaks, sorry Charlie.

My backup supply is now an Astron SS-30M -- a few more dollars, and not as small, but it has meters, and I suspect it will work well.

KC0NDR Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2005 18:38 Send this review to a friend
No Problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just a little fan noise, but I can put up with that. I would rather hear it than not so I know there is air going through the power supply. NO RF noise at all.

73's
Roger
KC0NDR

N0AH Rating: 1/5 Mar 15, 2005 10:26 Send this review to a friend
good out of gate, finished last  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased two as I was tired of the noise so many switching supplies create. Why do we keep buying these things?? Both worked fine for about a month then came the noise problems. Using two in the shack just made it worse. Now I just use them for other applications needing 12 volts not in use with the radios. I got these at a great price and got what I paid for. Can anyone suggest a real true switching power supply that does not cause noise on your rig? I think it's a myth. Now I only use the 30lb old fashion supplies and they never miss a beat. But man, kicking your toe on one under the shack desk is a killer-