Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-751A Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-751A
ICOM IC-751A Reviews: 105 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1395 (Net Price) during 1991
Description: Medium size 100W HF rig. About 1986-93, no tuner.
More info: http://http.//www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-751A.

KW4AE Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2014 12:49 Send this review to a friend
5 stars  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had to have this radio mostly because of all the five stars. I got mine on ebay in excellent condition and must say it's built like a precision watch. My only other radio is a Ten Ten Omni C which is also five stars. This one adds general coverage receive.
For that it is somewhat noisy but for that I have a QF-1A filter. For digital and cw this 751A is perfect especially since the meter shows swr, alc, po, ic, and vc. All the transceiver brains are kept on a single chip so whenever it behaves peculier all I
need to do is reset by turning off then on. For power out I've gotten 120 watts on cw. This has to be the best transceiver from the best decade of
transceivers. It's one of those transceivers you'd have to be crazy to sell. It doesn't even require extra filters for the ham bands. Other pluses: Agc fast, slow, off; rit and xit; tone control; built in keyer; notch filter; passband tuning. Only downside is noise blanker doesn't seem to do anything. Grab one in excellent condition!

K6XN Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2014 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have three (3) IC-751A transceivers that we use in combination with IC-2KL amplifiers and AT-500 automatic antenna tuners for multi-multi contesting and also chasing DX and ragchewing from our club stations N7PR, NN7NN and NC6DX up in the Sierra. They have performed flawlessly for us for many years and they still perform well. We have installed the optional filters and the internal CW keyers and everything has performed flawlessly for many years. We love the IC-751A transceivers! 73, Ted, K6XN

VE7ABC Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 09:55 Send this review to a friend
5++++  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the 3rd IC751A I've owned, and unlike the previous two, this won't be leaving the shack.
No need to review what others have said before me, great receiver, transmitted signal excellant and built like a tank. Thanks to Scott at MTS, caps replaced, alignment done and memory issue all taken care of.
Mine is from the original owner who took good care of it. It looks new.

IZ4TGQ Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2014 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Stupefacente!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Strepitoso ricevitore!!!!
Nulla da invidiare a moderne radio con dsp molto blasonate.
Non sparirą mai dal mio schack!!!
Se ne trovate uno non modificato non fatevelo scappare.

PY4SZ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2014 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Very good receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my IC-751A last friday, may 23 - 2014.
I also have a TS-830, a TS-940Sat and a FT-1000MP.
Making AB comparison on the 10 meters band the IC-751A receiver wins. The comparison is made using the same antenna and tunning the same small incoming singal. That radio is a keeper for the DX'er.

KC6O Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Just a Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Known to have a couple minor issues, such as the memory board/battery & VCO caps, other than that it's just a fantastic older analog rig with a terrific receiver, clear RX audio, bold TX audio, excellent controls presentation & a great meter.

Sold my Pro3, kept my 751A.

W8EZI Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2014 11:47 Send this review to a friend
An oldie but goodie  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this three years ago on another ham's recommendation. It was a very wise choice. It did cost me 500 bucks but it is well worth it. It came with the piexx memory board so I did not need to worry about the battery going bad. It has a pretty amazing receiver even though it covers everything. I received it in perfect condition except for the master clock. The calibrator knob had run out of room trying to get the readout to be accurate. I simply hooked it to my frequency counter, put the calibrator knob mid range and tuned an internal crystal oscillator coil to perfection.

There are no menus to wade through. Every adjustment is a knob or switch. It has enough digital gadgets for me. I love the memory channels. There is only one thing wrong with this radio. It will not put out a decent AM signal. This is a well known issue and cannot be adjusted to produce a decent AM signal from the trimmers inside the case. It will only produce downward modulation even at a 25 watts carrier. The AM receiver is perfect. I did not buy it for AM transmitting but it would have been nice to be able to do so. My old Icom 730 does a perfect AM transmit signal.

I repaired on of these for a friend who got hit by lightening. His finals were blown in the transmitter. It was not that difficult to remove the amplifier board and replace those transistors and set the bias. I would say that this radio is far easier to repair than almost any transistor rig. Of course tube rigs are easier.

After three years use, I have no desire to get a "better" rig". I am about to buy a Pixel magnetic loop receiving antenna. I live right in town and noise is a problem. With the rotor, this is going to cost me over 500 dollars with the Dayton hamfest discount. Everyone tells me who has one that they wish they had bought one sooner. That is one hell of a recommendation.

G3EJS Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2013 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Superb Receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one of these new in about 1988, but later sold it to go sailing!

A while ago I decided to find another, and after a short search found one for £250. Best money ever spent on a rig.

The receiver makes my more modern sets look poor, hearing stations clearly that are barely detectable on other rigs.

Transmitter sounds good as well.

Very nice to have all the often used controls available on the front panel without having to dig through menus and manuals.

PC control is the only thing I miss, but the ease and pleasure of normal operation more than compensates.
Great pity the PC interface was not more reasonably priced, comes out at half the price of the rig!

PINEAPPLEFRENZY Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2012 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Bold Old Gold  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Man oh man. This is my first rig, and they way things are going, it might very well be my last. I can't say enough about how lucky I am to have come across this little gem. Picked mine up for $350. Almost every contact comments about the clarity of my signal. They then seem less surprised when I tell them what kind of rig I use. You just can't beat this old radio for simplicity and quality. Great tone, great features, great rig.

KK7XE Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2012 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Still a great radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having one of these many years ago, thought I would place an ad and going on a long shot, I requested one from an original owner, not really thinking it would happen. Much to my surprise, a gentleman responded with a beautiful radio. Everything original including all packing. Through the years he did have all of the standard mods completed and the only thing I did was replace the s-meter lamp. Easy fix. Still a quality radio. Love the analog s-meter and the excellent receiver. Having a radio where the stock mic is all you need is truly a plus. I enjoy CW and this is an wonderful radio for CW and the digital modes. Of course, listening on the SW bands is also most enjoyable. If you can find one of these, it would be worth your dollars to invest in it. Mine came with the stock filters and it does fine for what I need. Amateur Radio is about communication, and the 751-A does it with style.