Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-751A Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-751A
ICOM IC-751A Reviews: 109 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1395 (Net Price) during 1991
Description: Medium size 100W HF rig. About 1986-93, no tuner.
More info: http://http.//www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-751A.

XE1HSR Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2016 21:59 Send this review to a friend
JUST, ONE OF THE BEST  Time owned: more than 12 months
I WAS LUCKY,I GOT MINE MORE THAN 3 YEARS AGO,WITH PIEXX UX-14 AND PIEXX ICOMPROM, MEMORY BOARD AND TRIMMER CAPS CHANGED, SINCE THEN, IS MY BABY, MY YAESUS, 990,1000D AND ICOM 746 NON PRO, ARE ON VACATION, THIS 751 A (NEW LOGO) HAS TERRIFIC, RX AND SUPERB TX, IT'S A KEEPER

OH1LA Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2016 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Great old TCVR  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello everyone!
I really wanted to buy the transceiver IC-751A. The problem was that working was not for sale. I bought from the United States IC-751A referred to parts of the. It does not become effective. I bought a second Vietnam, which was partially right. Then I bought another one the front of the USA.
Combinations of these two I got one to work the radio IC-751A.
I must say that radio is a very demanding and need to have a lot of interest if the repair of the malfunctioning.
Nevertheless, in the end I got so good radio, it beats all my other radios!
I have 10 other HF radio, Newest:
IC-7300, FT-2000, TS-2000, FT-857D, FT-817ND, TS-870S, TS-430S, TS-830S, FT-101ZD and Uniden 2020.

After all, the other radios in many respects advanced, but the RX is the best IC-751A in. IC-7300 is a great novelty, but put it to work the IC-751A in the next and compares!
Also, the TS-870S is a tough game. However, everyone gets along.

73 de Pekka, OH1LA

YO3DS Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2015 22:11 Send this review to a friend
One of the best ICOMs  Time owned: more than 12 months
WHAT A RADIO!!!

Along the years I owned most of the best of the big three (and not only) and couple of years ago I decided to get this radio and give it a go as it was one of the Icoms I didn't try. After reading lots of positive reviews about this highly praised, not to big but great transceiver, I knew that I had to have one. Eventually I got really lucky when I found this one. It didn't take much thinking so I bought it right on the spot. One of the latest serial numbers with the PBT control, the radio was in mint condition and fitted with the 500Hz, 2.0kHz, 2.6kHz filters and HM-12 original transceiver's hand mic. It also has fitted the EPROM mod and the UX14px computer interface from PIEXX.
After a year I sold it to a new fellow ham thinking a newer radio will be better for me, what a mistake! But I got lucky again when, after a while the guy wanted to try some other radio and asked me if I want it back. Course I got it back but this time for good.

So, two years later, after lots of use and comparisons I can state that, with proper settings and adjustments of the PBT and notch controls, this gem has one of the quietest receivers I've ever heard in many years of hamming. During this time, I had in the shack: Yaesu FT-1000D, FT-1000MP, Icom IC-781, Icom IC-760Pro (Japanese market version of IC-765) and a Kenwood TS-950SDX. I list all these transceivers that I had or have, just to explain that I had enough terms of comparison.
And the little Icom IC-751A stood up to every each of them, sometimes being better depending on settings or modes.
This is a quad stage IF radio, great audio on receive and super signal on transmit. With a steel case and metal die-cast front panel, Icom IC-751A is built like costs were no issue compared to today's so called "state of the art" plastic radios. It has a clean crisp receive signal with a lower noise floor than most of the newer gear. The only quieter receiver I've heard is the Flex 5000A. But that's SDR, PC based sort of a radio, a total different story. Quiet it may be but the sound is mushy, too digital and impersonal, every voice sounds nearly the same. Not to my liking.

In my opinion, no today's digital filters will match the chain of multi pole crystal filters a good analogue radio has. This is why I keep using analog gear. At least for the time being.

So, if you can find a clean, not abused IC-751A, buy it. You will be nicely surprised. But be careful, there is an earlier version of 751 which is not the “ A”, avoid that one as it is known for issues.

My ICOM IC-751A is a great serious HF transceiver and I don't see myself part with it no matter what.

73 de YO3DS, Mihai http://www.qrz.com/db/yo3ds

W5MSV Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2015 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had this radio since 2007 and it has been one of the sweetest deals I gotten. I spend 99% of the time on cw (.7 on digital and .3 on ssb)and always get good reports. You can't go wrong with icoms flagship of the early '90's. I've had all the mods, so this is a winner.

KW4JA Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2014 12:49 Send this review to a friend
5 stars  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had to have this radio mostly because of all the five stars. I got mine on ebay in excellent condition and must say it's built like a precision watch. My only other radio is a Ten Ten Omni C which is also five stars. This one adds general coverage receive.
For that it is somewhat noisy but for that I have a QF-1A filter. For digital and cw this 751A is perfect especially since the meter shows swr, alc, po, ic, and vc. All the transceiver brains are kept on a single chip so whenever it behaves peculier all I
need to do is reset by turning off then on. For power out I've gotten 120 watts on cw. This has to be the best transceiver from the best decade of
transceivers. It's one of those transceivers you'd have to be crazy to sell. It doesn't even require extra filters for the ham bands. Other pluses: Agc fast, slow, off; rit and xit; tone control; built in keyer; notch filter; passband tuning. Only downside is noise blanker doesn't seem to do anything. Grab one in excellent condition!

K6XN Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2014 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have three (3) IC-751A transceivers that we use in combination with IC-2KL amplifiers and AT-500 automatic antenna tuners for multi-multi contesting and also chasing DX and ragchewing from our club stations N7PR, NN7NN and NC6DX up in the Sierra. They have performed flawlessly for us for many years and they still perform well. We have installed the optional filters and the internal CW keyers and everything has performed flawlessly for many years. We love the IC-751A transceivers! 73, Ted, K6XN

VE7ABC Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 09:55 Send this review to a friend
5++++  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the 3rd IC751A I've owned, and unlike the previous two, this won't be leaving the shack.
No need to review what others have said before me, great receiver, transmitted signal excellant and built like a tank. Thanks to Scott at MTS, caps replaced, alignment done and memory issue all taken care of.
Mine is from the original owner who took good care of it. It looks new.

IZ4TGQ Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2014 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Stupefacente!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Strepitoso ricevitore!!!!
Nulla da invidiare a moderne radio con dsp molto blasonate.
Non sparirà mai dal mio schack!!!
Se ne trovate uno non modificato non fatevelo scappare.

PY4SZ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2014 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Very good receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my IC-751A last friday, may 23 - 2014.
I also have a TS-830, a TS-940Sat and a FT-1000MP.
Making AB comparison on the 10 meters band the IC-751A receiver wins. The comparison is made using the same antenna and tunning the same small incoming singal. That radio is a keeper for the DX'er.

FORMER_KC6O Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Just a Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Known to have a couple minor issues, such as the memory board/battery & VCO caps, other than that it's just a fantastic older analog rig with a terrific receiver, clear RX audio, bold TX audio, excellent controls presentation & a great meter.

Sold my Pro3, kept my 751A.