Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-751A Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-751A
ICOM IC-751A Reviews: 104 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1395 (Net Price) during 1991
Description: Medium size 100W HF rig. About 1986-93, no tuner.
More info: http://http.//www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-751A.

KC6O Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2012 16:52 Send this review to a friend
ONE OF THE BEST EVER - ENJOYED FOR 10 YEARS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've tried out several newer rigs, including some with DSP, but am always disappointed at the high prices & how slow to access are so many of their multi-layered menu functions, many of which are addressed by simple quick analog knobs on the IC-751A, also how chintzy the newer rigs feel by comparison.

Actually I like the Pro3 my friend Phil has, but it's still doesn't seem like the ROCK the 751A is.

I'm about to begin researching outboard DSP systems which I know aren't as hot as the newer 64bit IF-based DSP, but I'm still enjoying the 751A so much as is that I can only imagine how much more I'll enjoy it once I add decent analog DSP.

I had a mint TS-930SAT which I replaced with the 751A and have since had a TS-940S, IC-761, IC-746, IC-706IIG and a few others, but always I go back the the trusty old IC-751A and find I can finally relax and once again enjoy the band.

Build quality, control smoothness, selectivity, sensitivity, noise elimination, audio quality, size, analog S-Meter, aesthetics, etc.,
- I just can't find another rig that I want more than this old boat anchor.

- In fact, I'm looking for more in mint condition.

W1EY Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2011 08:10 Send this review to a friend
The Best of the Best !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've reserved my first eHam review for the best overall radio I've owned - the 751A. My first radio was the original 751, then I went on to a 765, (2) 775DSP's, a 756PRO, a 7600 and a 7700, along the line picked up my 751A. For Yaesu's I've owned (2) 1000D's, a 1000mp Mark V, and an early 2000. My only Kenwood was a 480SAT.

My purpose in telling you this is that I've had a good basis of comparison. The 751A has a clean crisp receive signal with a lower noise floor than my last 1000D I just sold, great audio quality, and sharp, penetrating transmit audio with the HM-36 standard hand mike. Don't use my 2IHY audio gear or upscale Heil mikes here, doesn't make much improvement.

Sure, I'm just an ole rag chewer, don't do digital modes or contesting which endear people to the newer rigs, I agree. The newer ones will do everything but make your morning coffee and let the dog out. But maybe there's a menu item for that I missed.

My main point here is that the newer rigs are extremely flexible and competent. But don't shell out those big $ for a unit that does more than you operating practice requires.

All in all, ease of operation and outstanding results render the 751A to the top of the pile. Mine will go in the wooden box with me. Not worth too much at the SK tag sale (hopefully a ways off).

RADIOAFICIONADO Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2011 13:08 Send this review to a friend
I wanted to sell it and i change my mind  Time owned: more than 12 months
A radio that is as old as me, putting out such a beautiful signal, such clear reception, deserves only to be kept.
Purchased Used in Italy in 1999 I've used it once a year for the last 8 years (i moved to a different QTH with a newer setup)still going great despite of the dust!
I considered several time to sell it but i always end up changing my mind, i may regret the decision for the rest of my life....
PJ7MF Marco

HI8CJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2011 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Unsurpassable!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just the best analog rig ever made!

KO4CH Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2011 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Still the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought my second 751a and this one is staying.
After selling my 751a in 1999 and going through many radios since, I had a chance to purchase this gem and after putting it on the air and listening to the signals on all bands, I forgot how crystal clear the audio was. This quad if radio will still stand up to all the modern dsp radios of today. If you get a chance to get one, don't pass it up. The transmit audio is great also. It is a definite 5+
Jerry Koch (KO4CH)

KM0PT Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2011 21:00 Send this review to a friend
My baby!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am so terrifically pleased with the all around class act of this transceiver. Radio engineering at it's best even for today!

I bought a used unit off of bay for five hundred and some change and I received it in new old stock condition in the original box with all pieces that come with it tucked away in their original plastic bags.

I don't think I can add anything new to the review list except for another five star rating.

I can tell you this however. I am 23 years old and I hope that if I don't have any other hams in the family by the time permanently clear the airwaves that it goes on my estate sale to some young ham that can appreciate a truly remarkable piece of transistorized radio equipment!

G4RNI Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2011 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Big improvements over the 751  Time owned: more than 12 months
NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE (ALSO SUPERB - when it behaves itself) IC-751. The IC-751A has a completely redesigned main board featuring better IF stages, more filters and a number of other tweaks.

One problem you may experience is RF feedback if you try to use a non-Icom mic. The fix is to decouple the dc and signal leads within the mic head to gnd and slide a couple of chunky ferrite beads over the said leads.

The IC-751 and the 751A have a very capable RX and a TX with finals running well within their maximum rating. The PA kind of jogs along when it's easily capable of sprinting all day long! One error IMHO is the usual too-wide filter in the FM IF. I ALWAYS change these from a MURATA CFW455E (15kHz) to a CFW455G (9kHz).

The attenuator relay is prone to stick if not used for some time, making the rig deaf and the FM board relay can stick too, leading to low FM TX power. Servisol works wonders here!

The IC-751A? I've had numerous radios over the years but always remember the simplicity and rock solid reliability of the 751A. Sensitive, selective, bomb proof rx and tx PA built around a pair of transistors capable of over 200 Watts but just ticking over at 100. I recommend it!

KB0WIZ Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2011 11:38 Send this review to a friend
This is a Great Radio;  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I got My General License in 2007, I started looking for an HF Radio and found one that a good friend had in LIKE NEW condition that he hadn't used in 10 years. I had the Cap's replaced and a Piexx board installed to fix the Battery backup problem that others have mentioned. As I have a Severe Hearing problem, I use it on PSK 31 and it has been a solid performer for the last 18 Months. I get excellent signal reports with this radio and a lot of the times they say, you have the Cleanest signal on the Waterfall. I have made contacts all over the world with this fine Radio. Not the fanciest radio in the world of radios, but it is a solid performer. Like others have said, If you find one in good working condition, BUY IT. You won't be disappointed.

N1CKX Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2011 17:44 Send this review to a friend
25 Flawless Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased New, 25 flawless years of service.

Upgraded it with the PIEXX Memory and PIEXX Computer interface.

Recently brought home a YEASU FT-950 and ran a head to head comparison.

I Thought it had to be better than a 25 year old radio.

I Was Wrong.

Couldn’t wait to get the YEASU out of my shack.

KC9MEU Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2011 03:50 Send this review to a friend
ACES ALL THE WAY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am now the proud owner of a 751A. After looking at the reviews of all radios, this one came out on top. Everyone I know who has one has nothing but praise for them. Now I know why. Aside from the battery issue, there isn't anything I could find to complain about. This radio is the "Gold Standard" when rating a transceiver. The audio is unsurpassed, and the features don't take an engineering degree to operate. I found a pristine unit for under $400.00 on eBay and couldn't be happier with it.
I've seen them go for over $800.00. But, if you can find one you won't be disappointed with it.