Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-267 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-267
MFJ-267 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $200 in UK
Description: Watt Meter and Dummy load

You can write your own review of the MFJ-267.

VK4WTN Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2014 02:20 Send this review to a friend
works fine for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my meter for 2 years and am very happy with it. I did away with the rear switch and put a PL259 socket for the dummy load input and just use a short patch lead to connect the dummy load to the meter.I mainly use the meter to test amps etc. I have found it to be within 10% accurate and it does everything that I want and didnt cost a fortune

WB0OEW Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2014 00:24 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine now over a year, purchased through HRO Phoenix. All functions work as advertised, no complaints, very handy combination of dummy load and power/SWR measurements. Both within about 5% of my Elecraft meter below 7 MHz, errors gradually increase to about 10% at 30 MHz. Switch in the back makes sense to keep wiring short (yes, they could have accomplished front panel control using a relay but that's hardly worth the trouble). A pleasant surprise is how light weight the unit is.

W6HDG Rating: 1/5 Mar 11, 2013 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Died after 3 months  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
People warned me about MFJ products. This meter worked fine for 3.5 months and now the meter is non operative. I would not be writing this negative review except that I called for service and not only am I going to have to pay to return it (understandable), they won't send it back to me unless I also pay $12 for return shipping. Hey, I didn't manufacture a defective product, they did!! I should NOT have to pay that. Unless they change their policy, I will never buy another product from MFJ.

W4VFZ Rating: 2/5 Dec 16, 2012 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Forget it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've purchased numerous items from MFJ over the years, some of it was very good (their Antenna Analyzer is SUPER), but other items are of poor design and construction (antenna switches, "radio" clock), and the MFJ-267 combined SWR/Watt Meter and dummy load. The Dummy load switch is mounted on the back (have to use Braile to set it!), and the time constant capacitor on the meter is WAY to large! Worst of all, there is NO schematic available, either from MFJ or on the Internet.

AA1E Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2011 04:15 Send this review to a friend
Good Stuff!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't understand all the negative comments concerning this meter! I purchased from HRO in NH and it came super well packaged and works great. I don't know how accurate it is, I didn't expect it to be a Bird but it pretty much agrees with my TS 870. The dummy load works well, I use an amplifier and it doesn't overheat if tuned with a tad of common sense. So far I am completely satisfied with my purchase.

W0DOT Rating: 0/5 May 28, 2009 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Last MFJ Product I Buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the fourth MFJ product I've bought and every single one has had quality problems. This one arrived with the meter laying inside the case. A broken mount of extremely cheap design. You can't get ahold of these people the support lines are so busy and when you do it takes three or four calls to get results. I'm still struggling through putting together their 1798 antenna after a month of frustration. A previous wattmeter had all the internal screws laying in the bottom.
I have no idea how this wattmeter will perform since it'll be at least two weeks before I can re-assemble it. If it performs okay I'll come back and give it a 1. There's an old saying, probably dating to the Roman Empire, "You get what you pay for."

W6DTW Rating: 2/5 Sep 16, 2007 01:35 Send this review to a friend
Inaccurate, poor design  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
At a fundamental level a watt/SWR meter should be at least reasonably accurate. The purpose of purchasing such a device is not to watch needles jump around, but to provide accurate data. The MFJ-267 does nothing to dispel the popular notion that "MFJ" stands for "Mighty Fine Junk".

Readings on this are consistently inaccurate by as much as 20%. I take it as a small consolation that it's always inaccurate on the high side, but I doubt this was a design goal more like good fortune.

The placement of the dummy load switch on the back is annoying; I either have to snake my hand in behind the case and feel around for the switch, or pull the whole thing out of the radio rack. I might accept that this was necessary if the switch was some high-end coax setup, but it's not. It's a simple SPDT with large chunks of solid wire soldered to it. Hint to any MFJ engineers reading this review: There are things called "coaxial relays". Use them. I'll gladly pay more. Just don't insult my intelligence by calling this type of Fred-In-The-Shed design a "meter".

--- David W6DTW

KC2FTN Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2005 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really liked the idea of a watt/swr meter and dummy load all-in-one, so I bought one. This meter works VERY well, and is pretty darn accurate to boot. Yes, the switch to toggle between the meter and dummy load is on the back, but it's not a problem in my shack. MFJ did good with this one!

N0AH Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2005 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Best meter ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At first, I had problems with this meter. But I found that it suffered from RFI in the shack. So I used 50 foot coax lines of RG8X and moved into a clear area into my barn and it began to work better. I then hooked up my beverage antenna to it for a ground and it worked perfectly. Better than my bird meter. This is just a misunderstood piece of MFJ gear. I did find the directions to be a bit confusing because they did leave out instructions about operating it in an RFI/QRM free area. But the dirt of our barn is fertile soil and it provided a nice surfice. The barn is made of aluminum. The addition of the beverage antenna really trimmed it up.

Thank you MFJ for another product putting your owner into the CQ Hall of Fame-

K4IA Rating: 1/5 Mar 22, 2005 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Poor design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a great idea - a nice big SWR meter with a 1.5KW dummy load in a reasonably sized box. Too bad the design is awful.

First, the switch to go from dummy load to antenna is on the back of the box. It is terribly inconvenient to have to reach around behind the equipment to make a change. Then you have to remember, "Is it up or down for dummy load?" You can't tell from looking at the front panel which mode it is in. "Is the band dead or did I forget to reach around and flip the switch?" "Did I flip it the right way?" Why would any design put the most important switch on the back?

Second, this beast will not work at all unless you hook it to 12v. Why should you need power for an SWR meter? I can understand you need a little power for the averaging function but that is supplied by a 9v battery in other SWR meters. Having to run yet another power wire is a pain. I can live without the meter lights. MFJ meter lights always burn out in a few months anyway.

Third, mine was wildly inaccurate on the high power range. 1KW into the dummy load only read 500 watts on the scale. I assume this could be fixed but the other two issues are killers for me.

The device needs a redesign and then I would consider it again. Until then, stay away. Mine is going back.