Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-267 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-267
MFJ-267 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $200 in UK
Description: Watt Meter and Dummy load

You can write your own review of the MFJ-267.

K4IA Rating: 1/5 Mar 22, 2005 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Poor design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a great idea - a nice big SWR meter with a 1.5KW dummy load in a reasonably sized box. Too bad the design is awful.

First, the switch to go from dummy load to antenna is on the back of the box. It is terribly inconvenient to have to reach around behind the equipment to make a change. Then you have to remember, "Is it up or down for dummy load?" You can't tell from looking at the front panel which mode it is in. "Is the band dead or did I forget to reach around and flip the switch?" "Did I flip it the right way?" Why would any design put the most important switch on the back?

Second, this beast will not work at all unless you hook it to 12v. Why should you need power for an SWR meter? I can understand you need a little power for the averaging function but that is supplied by a 9v battery in other SWR meters. Having to run yet another power wire is a pain. I can live without the meter lights. MFJ meter lights always burn out in a few months anyway.

Third, mine was wildly inaccurate on the high power range. 1KW into the dummy load only read 500 watts on the scale. I assume this could be fixed but the other two issues are killers for me.

The device needs a redesign and then I would consider it again. Until then, stay away. Mine is going back.

KB9DNA Rating: 1/5 Jul 5, 2003 00:32 Send this review to a friend
Very inaccurate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was hesitant to purchase this meter based on other MFJ reviews, but the economical arguments eventually won and I purchased the unit for $119. Big mistake. The out-of-the-box operation was immediately problematic as the SWR read no less than 2:1 at any frequency... even into a dummy load! I noticed a number of pots which affected needle position, so I spent the next day trying to get information out of MFJ on how to calibrate the meter. They only had instructions for a different meter, and the only tech who knew this model wasn't very helpful either.

After hours of monkeying around with it, I could never get reflected power reading accurately. Forward power works OK in low SWR conditions, but as SWR goes up, both forward and reflect power go down, leaving the SWR unchanged. I'm tired of messing with this thing; it's getting sent back.

Don't bother with this meter!

G4EDY Rating: 3/5 Feb 4, 2003 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Doesnt travel well!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Arrived here in the UK with a screw floating around inside. I removed the cover and refitted the screw to one of the dummy load pillars. Several more screws were loose so I tightened them all. Noticed that the connection to the dummy load was fractured so resoldered it. Also dry joint on Antenna connector.

Rework finished and it works fine!!